PDA

View Full Version : Reprogramming Long Held, Strong Beliefs

DerFürst
6th April 2014, 04:02 AM
It's funny the way I'm seeing life these days. I've see now that I'm not merely the character I portray but indeed the actor. My body, mind, and emotions no longer appear as an indistinguishable, incongruent whole, but rather as individual aspects competing for dominance in an odd internal struggle. Because these parts are now more defined, it's been far easier to determine the source of conflict inside the whole, correcting the pieces I perceive as needing adjustment.

It's extremely strange. I used to merely perceive myself as inside my body looking outside into the world, but it's as if there's only a little difference now. It feels like there is no true "outside" myself, only projections of the inside into an image appearing to exist on the outside. If reality is truly held within everyone, rather than existing without, then truly the power to shape that reality is carried within everyone. I suppose then that we're in a sort of cosmic pre-school stage learning self control so that we don't accidentally annihilate ourselves and everything around us. The people who don't use power responsibly destroy themselves, the ones that use it selfishly, yet sustainably, damn themselves, and the ones that use it responsibly and sustainably elevate themselves. That's how I've come to view things at least.

My thoughts have the tendency to outgrow my ability to perform actions based off of them. This has resulted in me chasing after answers all of my relatively short life of 17 years. However, now, I believe I've found the answer. As it stands now, I can only, with reasonable certainty, label myself as a spiritual seeker. This is not enough for me. My strongest desire is to become a mystic. I understand that this entails far more work with little visible results than most people are willing to put up with, but I've felt that it's my true calling. The characteristics of my true being have shown time and time again to line up almost perfectly with this archetype. I've had far too much validation on this path to consider turning back now. However, it seems to me that simply saying "I'm a mystic" is lying to my ego, rather than affirming anything that causes useful change.

I have successfully deprogrammed many thoughts and habits that could potentially lead me astray. I can say with certainty that many of the distractions I used to enjoy seem trite, boring, and pointless. Despite this, I cannot say I've successfully reprogrammed myself, as there is still a degree of conflict. Now, instead of desiring to do one thing or the other, I feel void, as if nothing is satisfying.

So here is my real question. Validation used to be my primary method of programming thoughts, though that will only take me so far. How can I truly reprogram myself to act in a different away, enjoy different things, and require less validation to continue on with practices? Affirmations and perseverance will continue to serve me, but what I want to change has proven too stubborn for those things alone. What are good ways of truly profoundly changing deep, long held beliefs? Does anyone have a practical method of inducing hypersuggestibility?

As a note, I talk a lot about myself whenever I write on this forum. I realize I may seem rude and very "me this and I that," but please understand that I have few people to talk to (with a capability to respond that is.) A lot of what I write here is a form of release, as well as serious discourse.

John Sorensen
6th April 2014, 06:34 AM
It's funny the way I'm seeing life these days. I've see now that I'm not merely the character I portray but indeed the actor. My body, mind, and emotions no longer appear as an indistinguishable, incongruent whole, but rather as individual aspects competing for dominance in an odd internal struggle. Because these parts are now more defined, it's been far easier to determine the source of conflict inside the whole, correcting the pieces I perceive as needing adjustment.

It's extremely strange. I used to merely perceive myself as inside my body looking outside into the world, but it's as if there's only a little difference now. It feels like there is no true "outside" myself, only projections of the inside into an image appearing to exist on the outside. If reality is truly held within everyone, rather than existing without, then truly the power to shape that reality is carried within everyone. I suppose then that we're in a sort of cosmic pre-school stage learning self control so that we don't accidentally annihilate ourselves and everything around us. The people who don't use power responsibly destroy themselves, the ones that use it selfishly, yet sustainably, damn themselves, and the ones that use it responsibly and sustainably elevate themselves. That's how I've come to view things at least.

My thoughts have the tendency to outgrow my ability to perform actions based off of them. This has resulted in me chasing after answers all of my relatively short life of 17 years. However, now, I believe I've found the answer. As it stands now, I can only, with reasonable certainty, label myself as a spiritual seeker. This is not enough for me. My strongest desire is to become a mystic. I understand that this entails far more work with little visible results than most people are willing to put up with, but I've felt that it's my true calling. The characteristics of my true being have shown time and time again to line up almost perfectly with this archetype. I've had far too much validation on this path to consider turning back now. However, it seems to me that simply saying "I'm a mystic" is lying to my ego, rather than affirming anything that causes useful change.

I have successfully deprogrammed many thoughts and habits that could potentially lead me astray. I can say with certainty that many of the distractions I used to enjoy seem trite, boring, and pointless. Despite this, I cannot say I've successfully reprogrammed myself, as there is still a degree of conflict. Now, instead of desiring to do one thing or the other, I feel void, as if nothing is satisfying.

So here is my real question. Validation used to be my primary method of programming thoughts, though that will only take me so far. How can I truly reprogram myself to act in a different away, enjoy different things, and require less validation to continue on with practices? Affirmations and perseverance will continue to serve me, but what I want to change has proven too stubborn for those things alone. What are good ways of truly profoundly changing deep, long held beliefs? Does anyone have a practical method of inducing hypersuggestibility?

As a note, I talk a lot about myself whenever I write on this forum. I realize I may seem rude and very "me this and I that," but please understand that I have few people to talk to (with a capability to respond that is.) A lot of what I write here is a form of release, as well as serious discourse.

There are many methods of changing the software 'belief' programs that run in your subconscious mind.

This is a natural process. Imagine if you grew up in a hypothetical perfect society, where all you knew was love and kindness, there would be no need to change your beliefs, as your subconscious beliefs would be in alignment with your conscious (outwardly facing) mind.

However we grow up with all sort of "junk" in our mind, or mental viruses, that cause us to see ourselves in limiting ways? From where, everywhere - our parents ,society, friends, media, school etc.

There are two main methods I am familiar with for how we develop our belief software.

1. Repetition of any idea/program over a prolonged period.

For the first few years of our lives, the theory is that we are mainly in Theta brain wave state as children, and we accept whatever we encounter in our environment as "true". After this we generally pick up data via repetition over weeks / months / years.

2. Entering the Hypnagogic state and implanting auto-suggestions - that is choosing to plan out the "Script" of the belief programs we wish to install beforehand, then entering Alpha or Theta brainwave state and listening to a pre-recorded audio spoken in the THIRD person, which is giving direct instruction to your subconscious mind, which had no choice but to OBEY the commands you give it, it has no "will" of it's own, only the instructions you give it - but sadly many people fill their minds with garbage, and then live their lives placing their sense of self in these "garbage" programs.

Well, I have used both methods at various times with success, easily and effortlessly.

There is another method that some intuitives use where you can do the same thing in the above two examples in about 2 minutes actual time. But this is impractical, because it means finding someone you TRUST, who has experience with this sort of thing, and you have to pay them.

The other two methods are 100% free, and involve only you and your own efforts.

There is "work" involved in deciding what beliefs work best for you.

In my experience the core belief to correct for most people is the program of self hate or "original sin" which has been around for thousands of years in different forms, and is an easy way to manipulate people, and keep them from reaching their own divine potential in life.

In my personal (ACTUAL, not theoretical) experience installing the program of self-love will take care of many other related issues, and from there build other beliefs on this solid foundation, in whatever way suits you.

This can be tricky as some people have never experienced actual love, or love of Spirit, only the conditional
lower love of ego, which is like seeing only a man made lightbulb and mistaking it for the sun.

If you have Q's feel free to ask.

I am currently writing things for my own reference, so articles etc, but I also have a value for Spartan ideals, that is to sum things up with brevity and conciseness, with actionable elements, and not just theory and discussion.

If you want more specifics, please send me a PM, I don't want to crap on all day about myself as it just makes me look like a wanker.

There is a fine line between confidence from actual experience and pure arrogance, and I do a bit of both most of the time.

ButterflyWoman
6th April 2014, 06:37 AM
I hope this comes across as I intend it. It's so very easy to be misunderstood in plain text. Try to perceive the spirit behind the words. ;)

I've see now that I'm not merely the character I portray but indeed the actor. My body, mind, and emotions no longer appear as an indistinguishable, incongruent whole, but rather as individual aspects competing for dominance in an odd internal struggle. Because these parts are now more defined, it's been far easier to determine the source of conflict inside the whole, correcting the pieces I perceive as needing adjustment.
Indeed. Well done. Most people in the world never get even near this level of self-awareness. Good on you. :)

It's extremely strange.
It is, indeed. And hardly anyone will know what you're talking about if you try to describe it. Just warning you. ;)

I suppose then that we're in a sort of cosmic pre-school stage learning self control so that we don't accidentally annihilate ourselves and everything around us. The people who don't use power responsibly destroy themselves, the ones that use it selfishly, yet sustainably, damn themselves, and the ones that use it responsibly and sustainably elevate themselves. That's how I've come to view things at least.
*nod* Well said.

My thoughts have the tendency to outgrow my ability to perform actions based off of them. This has resulted in me chasing after answers all of my relatively short life of 17 years.
This level of self-awareness in a person of your age is profoundly unusual. It's not unheard of, but it's definitely rare. How cool is that? :D

As it stands now, I can only, with reasonable certainty, label myself as a spiritual seeker.
Eventually, that will die. The "seeker" realises that there's nothing to seek, and that the very act of seeking is, itself, a material pursuit. It doesn't make much sense until you've experienced it, but I'm mentioning it now so that when it does happen, you can be like, "Oh, yeah, I remember reading about this..."

My strongest desire is to become a mystic. I understand that this entails far more work with little visible results than most people are willing to put up with, but I've felt that it's my true calling.
In all seriousness, I don't think it's possible to "become" a mystic. I think it's how you're wired from day one. I've seen and known and read about a lot of mystics (it's been an area of interest for a long, long time) and they all report having had awakenings and mystical experiences and so forth from childhood, or at least, from puberty. It's like being a musical prodigy, or a genius. It's just there, part of who you are, part of the fabric of the qualities that makes up this thing called "you". You can't become a prodigy, or a genius, if you're not that.

And lest you think I'm trying to discourage you, I'm not. :) Your early self-awareness certainly points that direction. And, honestly, it unfolds as it will. There are things you can do to facilitate it, but it it's like a rosebud. It opens as it opens and in its own time.

Been there, done that. ;) It's actually a stage I went through for... oh, quite a while. Eventually I got to a point of balance with it all. It's very difficult to describe, but I've read about the phenomenon in the writings of mystics, and it's a very common (possibly necessary) stage, and it does pass in time.

How can I truly reprogram myself to act in a different away, enjoy different things, and require less validation to continue on with practices?
This will seem paradoxical: stop looking for motivation. If some practice or habit isn't fulfilling or helping, you don't have to keep doing it.

What are good ways of truly profoundly changing deep, long held beliefs?
The only thing that I have ever found that works consistently is a combination of intention and surrender. Intend the change (the release, the healing, whatever) and then surrender to the process, whatever that ends up being. Once an intention is truly underway, nothing will stop it, and the surrendering just makes it quicker. In your case, I suspect you probably have issues with control and wanting to "do" stuff all the time (not uncommon, don't fret it), and that might be something that will need to go. But who knows how it will unfold. All realities are unique. Intend and let go, and see what happens.

I talk a lot about myself whenever I write on this forum. I realize I may seem rude and very "me this and I that," but please understand that I have few people to talk to (with a capability to respond that is.) A lot of what I write here is a form of release, as well as serious discourse.
We all do. I try not to for various reasons, but I sometimes do just to illustrate a point or share an experience that I think might be illuminating (or not, who knows?). I write for me, and for whatever random soul might eventually read it. Please, do feel free to do the same. Part of the culture of this forum is sharing personal insights and experiences. Just don't expect everyone to understand you. ;) :P

I will also add here that I just realised that this post and my response to it is an answer to something I've been struggling with. I've become aware of an extremely deep and profound belief that has absolutely shaped my life from its earliest days (a belief conceived when I was pre-verbal!), and not in ways that I want my reality to be shaped. I kept saying, "I don't know how to fix this..." and when I wrote what I just did, I realised, "Duh, intention and surrender. You know the drill..." And so I do. I tend to get stuck in the idea of having to figure things out and control stuff, etc., even after all these years. Next intention: Stop that...

John Sorensen
7th April 2014, 05:49 AM

Yeah, I felt rather listless and everything lost meaning to me for several years.

Eckhart Tolle refers to this as "regeneration".

That is, you have some sort of realisations, direct knowledge, and for a while you feel good, but then you start to feel pretty ♥♥♥♥. Like when Neo gets out of the Matrix and realises that the "Real world" is a big steaming pile of ♥♥♥♥.

Some people, like the character Cypher, just wanted to go back in to the Matrix, because he was happier being blissfully ignorant of the real world.

Other people, like Neo, eventually work through this sometimes painful part of awakening, and eventually integrate their new self with their old self. That is they feel themselves as Spirit, but in a body here and now, not in some imaginary future heaven etc.

Another thing Eckhart Tolle talked about was that this period of malaise, of being in this void is a bit like sleeping, or the caterpillar when it goes into its cocoon before it becomes a butterfly. It is similar to dying, in that your old self dies, and your new self emerges.

But more accurately, what you become integrates, loves and accepts everything you were before.

The same as how right now you can remember being a small child, then a ten year old, then a teenager etc.