PDA

View Full Version : A drop in the ocean

CFTraveler
27th April 2014, 07:31 PM
...is a metaphor for existence I have heard from metaphysicists (metaphysicians?) - anyway, I found this interesting: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2612949/Are-living-underwater-Researchers-believe-universe-liquid-superfluid.html

ButterflyWoman
27th April 2014, 10:31 PM
Metaphysicians is usually the term used in philosophy. Just FYI, because I know you like to know this stuff.

Interesting article. The "superfluid" theory they're talking about lines up with some of my own perceptions of reality being fluid, as well. Will have to talk to Mr Scientist (that'd be my husband) about the theory to see what his take on it is. :)

eyeoneblack
6th May 2014, 02:29 PM
A Bose-Einstein condensate comes to mind. This occurs, experimentally, when a collection of Helium atoms are cooled to virtually zero degrees. This exhibits a 'phase' shift that causes each atom to behave exactly the same. I believe this has been called a super-fluid which has zero resistance (viscosity).

The article brings up another phenomenon which describes the action of the Higgs Boson on other particles giving them mass. This is analogous to an 'ether', at least the metaphor of it, that describes a 'friction' of a particle travelling through the Higgs field to attribute mass to the particle.

As far as a metaphysical connotation I'll have to imagine that a while.

Is this along the same lines as your 'hubby' might respond, Butterfly?

ButterflyWoman
6th May 2014, 02:44 PM
Is this along the same lines as your 'hubby' might respond, Butterfly?
His response was, and I quote, "Interesting." I asked him to elaborate, and he said, "Well, I'd have to read the scientific papers to get a real idea what they're talking about." :lol:

eyeoneblack
6th May 2014, 03:01 PM
Yes, I reckon so. :-D