PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop talking?

DerFürst
8th May 2014, 05:01 PM
Talking, whether it be in the mind or verbally, is based on logic. Logic compares on thing to how it relates to another. Comparisons are a disservice to the inherently undefined. When words aren't used to label things, those things simply are as they are; unconditioned. Words are based on separation between objects. I this, you that, big compared to this, small compared to that, pretty, ugly, smelly, aromatic, bland, tasty, gross, orderly, etc.

Only the mind tries to do this to things. Awareness is unconditioned, thus accepts everything as it is. That's the only way unconditional love could be...

In using logic, awareness has stuck itself into perceiving separation due to the mind. The mind, funny enough, is not the seat of awareness. Awareness is the viewer of the mind. Separation is painful to the individual it creates. The ego protects the individual. Though the ego is necessary to distinguish things to avoid unwarranted death, it protect that sense of individuality even when it causes more pain.

The body is smart enough not to wander into situations that cause it to die even when thoughts stop. How does awareness regain its original perception? Is the cessation of speech related thought the only way to experience vipassana? Is that why we meditate?

Sinera
8th May 2014, 09:02 PM
Talking, whether it be in the mind or verbally, is based on logic.
Not only logic, but also especially linearity / linear logic. A string of sounds or letters (thought or spoken) in our language is a linear sequence of signs and sign packs (words) that reveals entirely linear thinking. On the semantic word level of course it's a bit different with ideographics (e.g. chinese symbols). But still, the language spoken is then a linear string of word(-symbol)s too.

This weary mode of communication in the physical is not so in the astral and spiritual world.

Monroe talked about "rotes" ("thought balls") in non-physical telepathic communication. It is when a concept is given to you in a symbol or a packet that can be understood holistically and immediately, should you have the capability for it. If not you have to unpack it like a zip-file and read it in linear language fashion again.

Btw, crop circles (the real ones) might be 'ROTEs' too, universal symbols given to us by ETs or higher intelligence(s), with meanings that the subconscious might understand and absorb.

How does awareness regain its original perception? Is the cessation of speech related thought the only way to experience vipassana? Is that why we meditate?
It's probably one way to escape linear (logic) thinking.

I also find talking sometimes wearing me out because I think one could/should convey meanings and concepts in a different way and almost on the spot. As Tom Campbell puts it:

(...) the raw thought always precedes the sentence that struggles to expresses [sic!] it. Language is an overlay, a constraint, on the thinking process necessary only for physical communication. Consciousness to consciousness communication most naturally trades ideas and thoughts in whole chunks without the use of language.

Tom Campbell
http://wiki.my-big-toe.com/index.php/Communication_between_PMR_and_NPMR

Verbal communication has always been tiresome to me. And it gets worse by the day. Sometimes I would love to stop talking all over and for good. I made a thread on it once:

http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?13940-Monroe-s-ROTEs-in-physical-life-thinking&highlight=ROTE

:cool:

wstein
9th May 2014, 12:13 AM
Talking, whether it be in the mind or verbally, is based on logic. All that stuff is mental chatter. The first thing to do is to stop analyzing it. Ok, maybe not so easy....

I suggest the 'watch your thoughts' method. Typically this is done as a sitting meditation but can be done anywhere. Every time you notice one of these things in your head, simply acknowledge it. Do not try to stop it, resist it, change it, evaluate it, or analyze it. Just notice that it happened, no more, no less. In case you missed it, talking and logic 'based' items count as thoughts, do the same for them.

Dreamweaver
30th May 2014, 04:56 PM
Another great way to stop talking, is to listen. Be receptive to what you can learn, and assume nothing.

SoulSail
31st May 2014, 04:04 PM
I second Dreamweaver's take though all are on target--you listen to the voice. What's it saying? Is it nonsense? Who thinks it's nonsense and should stop? One thought judges another, and no thought thinks. You can only use thought against thought so long, and then all tumbles when all are seen as equal and empty.

You've clearly got a handle on that. So refer back to yourself, meaning, sit in awareness and be aware. Sooner or later the thoughts are then seen as not coming from you at all. They are another movement in life and are without meaning. So love and accepts all thoughts as they come and their energy will dissipate to nothing.

CFTraveler
31st May 2014, 09:05 PM
I second Dreamweaver's take though all are on target--you listen to the voice. What's it saying? Is it nonsense? Who thinks it's nonsense and should stop? One thought judges another, and no thought thinks. You can only use thought against thought so long, and then all tumbles when all are seen as equal and empty.

You've clearly got a handle on that. So refer back to yourself, meaning, sit in awareness and be aware. Sooner or later the thoughts are then seen as not coming from you at all. They are another movement in life and are without meaning. So love and accepts all thoughts as they come and their energy will dissipate to nothing.:thumbsup:

Dreamweaver
1st June 2014, 04:37 AM
And not only to listen to oneself from an observer position, but to listen attentively to others. To get out of one's own head in order to stop committing mental nepotism. To practice seeing God in others - to get mentally humble. ~Namaste

ButterflyWoman
1st June 2014, 04:53 AM
Humans are hard-wired to language. This is shown in countless studies done by linguists, neurolinguists, neurobiologists, and the like. We hear language even where it doesn't exist (or we think we do, anyway) and we can produce "language" which isn't language at all but sounds like it (glossolalia). Babies are born with a preference for their mother's language, which they could hear through the womb.The idea that language is based on something logical is a misnomer, though most languages do have logical constructs (or not; English is a polyglot like no other and it's wildly inconsistent in countless ways, but we still manage to use it effectively).

The trick is not to forego language. It's to stop believing that words are inherently important, or significant. A big first step is to stop believing your own thoughts, stop putting faith into their importance. Just because something is perceived to be originating inside your own head doesn't mean you have to pay attention to it or own it or otherwise give it any weight. Thoughts, and language, just happen. Resisting these things will just make them that much more problematic. Stop giving them weight, learn to see through them as the insubstantial wisps of random nothingness that they are.

Dreamweaver
3rd June 2014, 05:26 AM
If this were facebook I would "like" Butterfly Woman's post

CFTraveler
3rd June 2014, 12:34 PM
:thumbsup: Hee hee.