PDA

View Full Version : Is time moving faster?

MooSaysTheCat
28th May 2014, 12:03 PM
I was reading a thread about time that another member had posted. And taking about how time is a matter of perspective and....stuff. We'll I wanted to post this originally in that thread but I felt that my post would be a bit too off-topic so I decided to make a new one.

For some time now me and my family have felt like time had started moving faster. We would joke about it, but we don't really pay much attention to it. However after reading the other thread I thought It might be interesting to ask if other people have noticed a similar thing. I began noticing that time felt different around maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

Me and my family live an uncommonly relaxed life and I don't mean just spiritually speaking.
It is commonly thought that if you are relaxed , time would go SLOWER so that's why we think it's a bit odd.
i have unintentionally done some "Jedi" mind tricks with time and I have experienced how time moves a lot faster when you are doing something. So I know how it feels when time moves faster.

But what I am describing now is different....it's like the default world time has been accelerated.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Reav3R
9th June 2014, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I've noticed this since I was a kid but didn't think of it as such a big deal. I remember reading an article about it on eHow (I think, or maybe it was HowStuffWorks?) that said something like time will flow faster if you enjoy stuff. But I think you got it the other way around, it moves slower when you are sad, bored & idle and moves fast when you're happy, occupied or joyful.

I think it's more like a matter of perspective since modern science has proven that no such thing as time literally exists (don't remember where I read that). Think of it as some sort of "sleep", when you sleep time virtually passes instantly. Even if you dream or lucid dream, when you wake up it wouldn't feel like a memory because there was no sense of passing time. It will feel like all of it just happened in a timeless instant.

I think time's the perspective itself, clock is just a tool to measure a pre-determined term called second. It doesn't necessarily mean what it measures actually exists, for all we know an ounce (of nothing) isn't something that physically exists. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense or not, all I'm saying is that it's scientifically proven that 1 second on Earth may not be 1 second near a black hole so why does 1 second in my mind have to be 1 second in yours?

ButterflyWoman
9th June 2014, 08:47 AM
Time is relative. Einstein was pretty clear on that, and subsequent research has upheld that, at least in ways that can be measured physically. And there is certainly plenty of anecdotal, personal, empirical evidence that this is the case. ;)

MooSaysTheCat
9th June 2014, 11:53 AM
I think did not explain what I was trying to say so well.

I already know everything that you guys are talking about. And I already took all of that into account.

What I am trying to say is that even the parts where time seems to be moving normally....it still seems like it's faster than usual.
At first I thought that it was just how I was perceiving time...but then my father also mentioned that he felt that time was moving faster for him also. But me and my father are currently living in similar conditions so it was not surprising that he was perceiving time at a similar speed than me.
When it got strange is when my mother said the same thing....she currently lives on the other side of the planet and it is safe to say that she is living in very different conditions as us. And yet she also said the same thing about time without prior knowledge that we thought the same thing.

I guess I could just be making a fuzz over nothing.

Thanks for answering you guys I had already given up on this thread. :D

Also, Reaver the way you wrote you're post was pretty awesome, that ending "why does 1 second in my mind have to be 1second in yours?" BOOM !!! Epic stuff right there.

CFTraveler
9th June 2014, 05:21 PM
I think this happens when you get older- as a matter of course.

Reav3R
10th June 2014, 02:55 AM
I think this happens when you get older- as a matter of course.

Well I'm not old at all, in fact I'm quite young.

CFTraveler
10th June 2014, 02:34 PM
Yet you can remember a time 'when you were younger....' which was my point. When you're very young you have your life ahead of you and you have no conception of time- time is an unknown variable. When you get to a certain age (teenagehood) your childhood is already behind you and you have a concept of time according to your age- so you can predict what time 'ahead' is like- and you know instinctively that it's 'less than before'. So it feels faster, perhaps it is. Awareness is an interesting thing.

Osiris
10th June 2014, 11:36 PM
Yeah I think its an age thing....Because I've gotten older, mid forties and time SCREAMS by... especially when I hit the snooze button in the morning..:wacky1:

CFTraveler
11th June 2014, 04:02 PM
Tell me about it.....
http://www.minnesotalaboremploymentlawblog.com/uploads/image/istock%20-%20coffee%20illustration.JPG

Reav3R
11th June 2014, 04:44 PM
Yet you can remember a time 'when you were younger....' which was my point. When you're very young you have your life ahead of you and you have no conception of time- time is an unknown variable. When you get to a certain age (teenagehood) your childhood is already behind you and you have a concept of time according to your age- so you can predict what time 'ahead' is like- and you know instinctively that it's 'less than before'. So it feels faster, perhaps it is. Awareness is an interesting thing.

I think I got your point, you were trying to say the perception of time becomes more solid as we age.

CFTraveler
11th June 2014, 05:48 PM
Yes. When you are very young, a day can last forever, because you have no idea how long a day is. So you process time more directly. You're more 'in the moment'. Once you learn to anticipate how long a day is, how long a month is, and how long a year is, you start living in the anticipation of the future, and don't really live in the moment, so your point of view becomes less 'synched' with it and more with your own expectation. So yes, the difference is in the perception, but in my book, perception is reality.

tpratt
2nd July 2014, 10:32 PM
That makes the most sense. That's why when you're a little kid, 15 minutes is like HOURS. Especially if its a time period you don't feel like waiting.