PDA

View Full Version : what do you make of this?

DarkChylde
9th June 2014, 07:37 AM
Have a look at the small video clip of a song posted below (it's only 4 minutes and won't waste your time on account of being quite entertaining).

Your input is really going to be appreciated and would go into my research (Please have a look and post your opinion especially if you are Western and not too familiar with the Asian/Ethnic culture).

Please post the following in your opinion :

*What do you make of the intent or meaning of the song to be?

*How do you find the girl's gestures and facial expression?

*Apart from entertainment ; how would this song impact on the western mind?

I will post the nature of my research and query into this if we garner some reply

looking forward to your opinion! :-D

:arrow: Raani Mukherjee - "Savva Dollar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtKNNC1OZ7k)".

CFTraveler
9th June 2014, 04:35 PM
First of all, I don't undestand any of the words and made no effort to find a translation because I feel it would impact my opinion of it.
I thought it was funny and provocative, and it appeared to make fun of western enterntainment being commercial, and paid a special nod to Beyonce- a lot of the dance numbers seemed to be shaped after some of Beyonce's numbers.
I also extrapolated the possible criticism of anglophilia in Indian culture, but cannot be sure it this is just my take on it.
She was funny.

DarkChylde
10th June 2014, 12:39 AM
astute as ever!

DerFürst
10th June 2014, 07:33 PM
It's very disconcerting to see the Hollywood style choreography while hearing the softness of the actual song.

DarkChylde
12th June 2014, 09:21 AM
the song is meant to be funny , (i.e just good intentioned tongue in cheekery) - but I'm so glad you like the "softness" of it (agreed there is such pretty delicate gentility to it) :thumbsup:

tpratt
1st July 2014, 02:06 AM
Obviously the meaning was to make fun of Western entertainment. Her facial expressions are very amusing (they always are). I've seen a few of her movies thanks to my mom. Most Westerners are either too ignorant to understand the joke, or offended I would say.

DarkChylde
20th February 2015, 11:38 AM
Obviously the meaning was to make fun of Western entertainment. Her facial expressions are very amusing (they always are). I've seen a few of her movies thanks to my mom. Most Westerners are either too ignorant to understand the joke, or offended I would say.

I showed the song to my mom and told her to specifically check out her expressions , she delivers incredibly rapid hundreds of micro facial expressions (which i agree most westerners won't get) , but the talent is astounding.

it's the only song that's on my desktop. I'd marry her if she was real.