PDA

View Full Version : mudras

fiatlux
12th June 2014, 05:06 AM
I have grown some interest in the use of mudras in meditation. What mudras have you found beneficial in your own spiritual work? I, myself, have grown fond of using the Anjali Mudra (prayer mudra) and have found it to be especially helpful in enhancing/cultivating a sense of compassion, love, and peace. There has also been times during meditation where I have found my hands seemingly moving and forming certain mudras on their own, mainly the Gyan mudra but with the left hand positioned in front of the navel/tan tien with palms facing upwards while the right hand is positioned either at the heart (palms facing the left) or right hand just facing outwards. Of course, some times I question whether I'm just deluding myself into thinking that they're really forming automatically.

how about mantras?

CFTraveler
12th June 2014, 04:15 PM
To me, a mudra is a shortcut to a specific state of consciousness, so you can assign a state to a mudra. I use hand combinations when I work on a specific chakra, so that when I use the hand gesture my subconscious is already primed and ready to go. I suppose that is the basis of all rituals, really.

fiatlux
18th June 2014, 02:23 PM
cool, thanks!