PDA

View Full Version : Earth missed apocalypse 2 years ago - says NASA (!!!)

Sinera
26th July 2014, 05:34 PM
A solar superstorm / Carrington event in July, it's just been a very close miss they say, only now.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/

July 23, 2014: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news. Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers didn't mention it. The "impactor" was an extreme solar storm, the most powerful in as much as 150+ years. "If it had hit, we would still be picking up the pieces," says Daniel Baker of the University of Colorado.

In retrospect, let's offer our apologies to the now-vindicated doomsdayers, hoaxers, scaremongers, cult-leaders and alarmists of that time period leading up to it. ;)

CFTraveler
26th July 2014, 05:38 PM
No. The earth constantly avoid apocalyptic stuff all the time. But not because someone predicted it. It's just how it could be anytime, regardless of eschatologists.
I don't think they're vindicated, it's like saying that if I die tomorrow it's because of some special thing, and not just because sooner or later I was going to die anyway.

MooSaysTheCat
9th August 2014, 07:41 PM
We'll that's a gloomy way of seeing things. Would it not be more fun to think that if you die tomorrow it is because of a special thing?
I mean in a 100 years...or 10 days depending on who you are, everyone would have forgotten you even existed. So why not give yourself this little pleasure? Maybe tomorrow you will die saving a kitten, in which your death gave life to that kitten....I mean that's something right?

People ask themselves if a tree falls and nobody noticed it, did it actually fall? We'll maybe it fell over an electric post...maybe nobody noticed the tree fall....but man , did everybody notice the city black-out.

And if a global catastrophe would have happened in 2012 everyone would have thought the Mayans where right...regardless of how many near misses there was in 2011.

CFTraveler
9th August 2014, 11:59 PM
We'll that's a gloomy way of seeing things. Would it not be more fun to think that if you die tomorrow it is because of a special thing?
No, because this would imply I'm 'special' and this does not give me any pleasure. But I think you're missing my point- eschatologists have been predicting the end of the world (soon, at the end of the year, at the change of seasons, at the beginning of the next 'era', etc.) since we've been able to draw calendars, and the idea that the world has to come to an end because of some thing someone predicted or because some deity is mad at us has spawned all kinds of bad ideas and behavior- the whole idea is just harmful. So I refuse to give credit to doomsday predictors, not only because they're wrong (yes, the universe will someday change in such a catastrophic way that it can be said it's the end) but because their motivation is mostly messed up.

MooSaysTheCat
10th August 2014, 03:42 AM
No, because this would imply I'm 'special' and this does not give me any pleasure. But I think you're missing my point- eschatologists have been predicting the end of the world (soon, at the end of the year, at the change of seasons, at the beginning of the next 'era', etc.) since we've been able to draw calendars, and the idea that the world has to come to an end because of some thing someone predicted or because some deity is mad at us has spawned all kinds of bad ideas and behavior- the whole idea is just harmful. So I refuse to give credit to doomsday predictors, not only because they're wrong (yes, the universe will someday change in such a catastrophic way that it can be said it's the end) but because their motivation is mostly messed up.

Well I was just saying that since nobody really cares if you think you are special or not you might as we'll think you are...as long as it does not affect negatively your interaction with other humans. But if that is not something that gives you pleasure then that is that.

Sorry I just got interested in what you said. I apologize for changing the subject.