PDA

View Full Version : I'm having problems with persistent rage, please read and advise

buzzcock
23rd October 2014, 05:22 PM
I had a long relationship that was unhealthy and abusive on both sides and it ended a year ago. I was very overcome with anger and sadness for the time of it but have been feeling much better all year and especially for the past 4-5 months, even seeing my ex socially and feeling calm and forgetting. Anyway, I had some arguements with my ex last week and the rage has just come flooding back, I feel incapacitated, just overcome with rage and walking round my own apartment spitting, swearing, hitting walls. I haven't been like this for a long time. We have children and I was angry in front of them and not caring:(

also, I had a dream a few months ago that ..well I was with a youth worker I used to know and look up to, and he was talking to me calmly, and suddenly, I heard this beautiful music, (like choir singing but not human, like a guitar choir singing or something in ringing notes) and this kind of light ray of power swept over me. And, I could see and feel cracks and holes in my spirit being filled in by the light. I felt like I had been full of holes that got refilled. I felt better after dream for months. But now I feel back to how I was before and weaker.

Also, I was worried doing Tarot again was making it happen, as I used to enjoy tarot and I tried it again recently. I even did a tarot that made me feel peaceful and spiritual before my big rage. So I can't understand how i could go from being high on a peaceful tarot experience to raging, unless tarot was bad and leading me into untrustworthy states of weakness like a drug high would.

CFTraveler
24th October 2014, 12:56 AM
Or, it reminded you of something that happened *way back* when you were doing tarot.

Dreamweaver
24th October 2014, 04:37 AM
Relationship patterns are interdependent behavioral patterns - established and repeated in allostasis. What this means is interactions will be set and repeated according to observable, predictable, cyclical pattens. Your old behavior was likely triggered by old thoughts and feelings coming up again in response to exposure to your ex.

to stop the cycle I recommend individual counseling - all the better to increase awareness of the relationship between one's self-talk, and the feelings and behaviors that are associated and automatically arise from those assumptions (self-talk).

here's a saying I like - you don't have to believe everything you think or feel and you always have a choice about what you do.

buzzcock
24th October 2014, 06:18 AM
thanks everyone. Basically I let her rage at me a lot and take out her feelings on me and scare me when she was going through a rough time and I thought I was being strong. Then when I couldn't take anymore I started raging back and being aggressive. I wasn't being strong, I was just storing up experiences that were driving me nuts.

ButterflyWoman
24th October 2014, 07:24 AM
Basically I let her rage at me a lot and take out her feelings on me and scare me when she was going through a rough time and I thought I was being strong. Then when I couldn't take anymore I started raging back and being aggressive. I wasn't being strong, I was just storing up experiences that were driving me nuts.
You just described my relationship with my ex. When he cracked, he actually used to take delight in frightening and hurting me (he knew I had Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and used that against me), got physically violent, had me committed to the psych ward, tried to get me evicted (after he'd moved out) and turned into a stalker. I understand, with a couple of decades of hindsight, that he was just unable to cope with the changes I was undergoing (I was a complete wreck, and I really can't say I fault him for finding it all too much), due to his own pain (not all from me!) and his lack of coping skills. It was a really bad, nasty situation from every side. I was horrible (was undergoing what might be called a complete breakdown, but which I now recognise as part of a complete transformation, which was badly needed), he became horrible when it was too much for him to bear any more and his OWN issues started to surface in big ways.

I believe he got some benefit from counselling. He eventually married his ex-girlfriend and I understand they had a child, but that's the extent of my knowledge. He did seem somewhat calmer and more compassionate toward me the last time I saw him (in court, as a matter of fact).

buzzcock
24th October 2014, 09:37 AM
You just described my relationship with my ex. When he cracked, he actually used to take delight in frightening and hurting me (he knew I had Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and used that against me), got physically violent, had me committed to the psych ward, tried to get me evicted (after he'd moved out) and turned into a stalker. I understand, with a couple of decades of hindsight, that he was just unable to cope with the changes I was undergoing (I was a complete wreck, and I really can't say I fault him for finding it all too much), due to his own pain (not all from me!) and his lack of coping skills. It was a really bad, nasty situation from every side. I was horrible (was undergoing what might be called a complete breakdown, but which I now recognise as part of a complete transformation, which was badly needed), he became horrible when it was too much for him to bear any more and his OWN issues started to surface in big ways.

I believe he got some benefit from counselling. He eventually married his ex-girlfriend and I understand they had a child, but that's the extent of my knowledge. He did seem somewhat calmer and more compassionate toward me the last time I saw him (in court, as a matter of fact).

that sounds just like whats going on with me. I am doing all the same things as your ex. I am very grateful for any advise and guidance. Thanks all.

ButterflyWoman
25th October 2014, 08:10 AM
I am very grateful for any advise and guidance.
Basically: This isn't about her, it's all about you. Your stuff, your pain, your anger, your issues. You know this, but it helps to really own that. What she did or didn't do just triggered your stuff (I'm not defending her, as I have no idea what the situation was/is). So you need to find your stuff and fix it.

Sounds totally simple, yeah? That's where a counsellor can help you sort it out and get to the root of the pain. I can pretty much guarantee you that it's a lot deeper than your bad relationship with your ex, because that kind of rage is something that takes a long, long time to build up (for what it's worth, I had rage issues, too), but working through these things can be really difficult. It's hard to even know where to start.

I wish healing for you, and for your ex, for both your sakes and the sake of your children. :heart:

buzzcock
25th October 2014, 08:42 AM
thank you very much. Yeah, I have a lot of sadness about life. i had a rough time with parents and their problems in childhood. I've been trying to practise self help and spiritual/occult for years. anyway thanks.

John Sorensen
25th October 2014, 01:20 PM
It takes a lot of effort to work through any kind of personal issues, alone it is hard enough, when it involves someone we have been intimate with, it is even harder.

But it is worth the effort, so keep doing whatever is working for you.

Remember to forgive not only others, but your Self too. Forgiveness, in my view should complement (but not replace) any other practice you go through, be it your personal practice, or seeing any type of professional.

When we allow forgiveness in ourselves, the hurt is still there, but we can bear it a little better, and after some time, we can see our hurt as just an experience, it is not who we are, but what we are witnessing.

ButterflyWoman
26th October 2014, 01:05 AM
i had a rough time with parents and their problems in childhood.
Yeah, you and me, both.

One other thing that occurs to me is that you need to do some tie-cutting and shielding, specifically in response to her. Relationships of any sort create psychic/emotional bonds. Those can linger long after the relationship has ended, and it can be worse if you see the person regularly (though separation is no guarantee). You may need to do a tie-cutting/shielding routine daily (even more than once a day) for a while. I had to do this with my parents, and certainly with my ex.

I find it interesting that I can speak civilly to you and even with compassion. I probably wouldn't have much for my ex were I to speak to him again. Even many years of separation, completely new lives, and great distance hasn't really made me feel very kindly to him. The best I can manage is to acknowledge my very real part in the situation (whether or not I was doing it purposefully) and that I hurt him deeply and profoundly, and I actually am sorry for that much. But I still regard him in a less than charitable way, unfortunately. Until pretty recently, I was still having nightmares of him now and then. So this kind of relationship can have some very deep tendrils, it would seem...

This is clearly an area where I need to have greater healing. I don't need to hold these resentments any more. It only drags me down. *sigh* Life can be stupidly complicated sometimes.

Anyway, I still wish you well. :) And soon, I hope to be able to say the same about my ex.

John Sorensen
26th October 2014, 11:10 AM
Even if we forgive people, doesn't mean we have to like them, or want to be around them.

If someone punches me in the face for no particular reason (which has happened more than once), I can forgive them, but I won't want to hang out with them or anything.

You do what you have to do and move on, and don't look back. Some people get caught up in the drama of reliving the "past" for decades and wonder why they are still miserable after so long.

I've done that plenty, once I stopped creating that feeling, and reliving those memories, I stopped having those type of experiences.

Dreamweaver
27th October 2014, 02:52 AM
Being strong and holding stuff in is completely overrated. One can't expect that trauma and drama won't transfer from person to person. I hope you find the right environment to heal - you and your kids deserve it.

buzzcock
30th October 2014, 07:23 AM
I live on the top floor of a 3 floor apartment building. the 2 couples beneath me are loudly arguing for past few weeks. I feel like I'm on top of some column of anger. And I worry...(mad thinking...) I caused it, as I project my emotions and thoughts sometimes. also I'm tired from it keeping me up. their thick cannabis smoke blowing up past the window makes me feel dizzy too. I feel sad and tired. But, maybe with potential strenth and improvement.

IA56
30th October 2014, 08:02 AM
I live on the top floor of a 3 floor apartment building. the 2 couples beneath me are loudly arguing for past few weeks. I feel like I'm on top of some column of anger. And I worry...(mad thinking...) I caused it, as I project my emotions and thoughts sometimes. also I'm tired from it keeping me up. their thick cannabis smoke blowing up past the window makes me feel dizzy too. I feel sad and tired. But, maybe with potential strenth and improvement.

Dear buzzcock,

When there is misuse of anykind, there will Always be anger and low entities feeding on them.
You must understand that you are not causing theires problems, they have their own issues to solve, and you have yours.
Make sure to keep your cool and you have a good opportuinty to observe your fear and make it lesser, but if you all the time go into guilt thinking you are the cause, that is a big mistake, drop the guilt and be realistic about the reality, and take care of yourself, and stop focusing on others.
Be sure you do not misuse any substanses and you give yourself a good chance to heal your own hurt, tell yourself that you are ok and a good person, I Think you are, and you will lesser the guilt and fear to a level where you can see yourself clearer.

Love
ia

ButterflyWoman
30th October 2014, 08:34 AM
I feel like I'm on top of some column of anger. And I worry...(mad thinking...) I caused it, as I project my emotions and thoughts sometimes.
Look at the two thoughts there. You feel like you're "on top of some column of anger". And then in the same paragraph, you worry that you caused it? Are you really that powerful? That able to generate a column of anger that extends throughout a building? I'd be willing to guess that you're actually not. ;) This is ego-self trying to be more important than it is, I suspect (don't worry; it happens to everyone, and I'm not chastising you or anything, just pointing it out).

No, their fountain of rage comes from them, probably from years and years of pent up anger that may have little to do even with each other, let alone with you.

It IS possible to project, sometimes, but what you describe doesn't sound anything like that. Usually the projection issue comes up with two people just manage to push each others' buttons, so to speak.

also I'm tired from it keeping me up. their thick cannabis smoke blowing up past the window makes me feel dizzy too. I feel sad and tired.
Perhaps a discreet word with the landlord is in order. And if that doesn't help, a call to the police, especially if they're fighting while simultaneously smoking pot. ;)

buzzcock
30th October 2014, 08:57 AM
thanks BW,

I was reading some older posts from you in another thread where you were talking about losing beliefs, and you said something like, most people don't want to change their reality, they just want to succeed more in the one they are in. That's pretty much how I feel now. I really like where I live, I just feel that shyness, fears, bad relationships, bad feelings are holding me back from enjoying it fully. I want to stay in the place I am now, but to be more successful in it, making more friends, having better relationships and more happiness.

ButterflyWoman
30th October 2014, 12:03 PM
you said something like, most people don't want to change their reality, they just want to succeed more in the one they are in.
That sounds like me, yeah. :)

I want to stay in the place I am now, but to be more successful in it, making more friends, having better relationships and more happiness.
Sometimes those things are only possible with change, though. Einstein noted that, “Problems cannot be solved with the same mind set that created them.” I've certainly found this to be absolutely true.

buzzcock
18th November 2014, 01:26 PM
I'm in agony. I just cannot cope with this person in my life. Every day for the past 2 weeks she has asked me round to help and then blasted loads of anger chaos and humiliation on me. I'm currently refusing to see her which means I cant see my kids. I've been punching my own arms and legs in frustration all weekend and am covered in bruises.

she has a thing of feeling unappreciated (she had to do all the family chores without thanks as a child) so she talks me into letting her make me meals and drinks and then gives me long angry lectures about how I want to be waited on and don't appreciate her making me food. At first I tried to give her big thanks all the time, then when that didnt change things I just told her not to make food and drink, and she just cajoles me into letting her do it for me again, and then starts shouting how childish and unappreciative I am. I feel humilated confused and am going crazy.

(i feel better now after writing it out. hopefuly ill work something out where I dont have to see her ).

I did a big "grand exit" where I recorded her being agressive with a dictaphone, then told her i had recorded her, and she was scared, and I said "you are an unpleasant little bully, goodbye" and stormed out. I wanted it to be a victory as she usually "brings me down to her level" and has me raging, but i just feel awful.

CFTraveler
18th November 2014, 02:21 PM
It sounds like both of use could use some Codependent anonymous, you could go as a couple, and you can make it a condition of you having anything to do with each other. And if she refuses, go by yourself. If she is as she sounds eventually she'll go with you, and if ultimately it's not meant to be, you can do your own growing.