PDA

View Full Version : So about thoughts

SoulSail
5th December 2014, 12:12 AM
It's quiet so I thought I'd fire up a good conversation:

I am a thought alone.

Disagree?

(bring your best thoughts, er, I mean you)

Soul

CFTraveler
5th December 2014, 02:53 AM
I think we're all thoughts acting out what we already thought about.
Goodnight.

Dreamweaver
5th December 2014, 04:15 AM
Thoughts are objects of consciousness.

susan
5th December 2014, 09:34 AM
For me,
To know yourself listen to your thoughts. This starts the journey of self discovery. Growing up and living is not enough. It takes a conscious effort with a purpose.( your thoughts can be entertaining, enlightening, dissapointing, they can cause a reaction in you, but they know you better than you remember yourself. ( I think anyway)

ButterflyWoman
5th December 2014, 09:50 AM
Years ago I had a kind of epiphany/vision of this thing I called "myself" (and still do call that, actually). What I saw was a collection of ideas, thoughts, habits, beliefs, talents, abilities, and so on. Everything that can be attributed to "me" is present, but it's a sort of whirlwind, swirling, edgeless collection of stuff that just move around and change and flicker in and out, sort of like a storm of particles in orbit around.... nothing. Well, there's some sort of something in the middle that kind of keeps them together to be "me" but I didn't know at the time what that was (still don't, but I suppose now that it's probably Consciousness, itself). This was the moment when I realised that "I" don't exist, that this thing called "me" is not really a "thing". (Great relief that was, too, though many people find the realisation very traumatic.)

So, I don't think you or I or any one is "a thought", but we're partly composed of thoughts. I've said for a while that I'm a figment in the imagination of Consciousness, and I think that comes closest to what I understand (but it does actually defy language; it's one of those things you can't understand until you experience it; SoulSail, I know for sure you will understand that ;)).

SoulSail
5th December 2014, 03:03 PM
All interesting points, I think...

Yet herein is the rub: I think x, I think y...Yet "I" is the root thought, the stem. And thoughts can't think each other. Is there ever a single, valid thought when all are predicated on the "I think" thought?

Circular. It seems thought is process. There is only thinking without possession, right?

Self-licking ice cream cone.

Soul

Serpentarius
6th December 2014, 12:47 AM
Am I thinking the thoughts I am thinking,
Or am I thoughts being thought which think they are thinking?

When gazing into my mind's mirror, am I looking at my refection, or am I my reflection looking at me?
Or, maybe all of me are reflections and the only thing that is real is the mirror?

:)

SoulSail
6th December 2014, 12:51 AM
Pink Floyd settles it again. God I love Dark Side

"Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be. " ~ Pink Floyd - Breathe

It's the most obvious thing...

Dreamweaver
6th December 2014, 03:05 AM
We also say I am sad, I am happy.

Nope.

We are not the things we can be aware of like thoughts, or feelings.

Try saying I am having sadness. I am entertaining (x) idea.

I am.

ButterflyWoman
6th December 2014, 03:52 AM
Self-licking ice cream cone.
Yes. Creation is the Creator. It is self-creating.

ButterflyWoman
6th December 2014, 03:53 AM
We also say I am sad, I am happy.

Nope.

We are not the things we can be aware of like thoughts, or feelings.

Try saying I am having sadness. I am entertaining (x) idea.

I am.
Something being interpreted as sadness is being experienced.
:)

SoulSail
6th December 2014, 12:33 PM
this

and then...

"The last instance of a thing takes the class with it and turns out the light." ~ Cormac McCarthy

Finally, what am glorious IIIIIIII going to have for breakfast? Methinks chocolate chip pancakes. I have my son for the weekend and since Heaven is hidden in plain site, why not just say so?

Soul