PDA

View Full Version : Whitley's Journal: Interstellar- Check it out

CFTraveler
8th December 2014, 12:49 AM
It is a really good one.
http://www.unknowncountry.com/journal/reality-behind-interstellar-not-what-youd-expect

SoulSail
8th December 2014, 12:37 PM
I saw the movie with my son last night and absolutely loved it. Didn't take scientific notes of course, but Whitley's assumptions seem to jive. Just outside of Denver there's a spot where people go to film UFO "lights" coming up out of the ground and returning to it. Nobody leaves via the sky. One man has filmed this many times though many have witnessed it and I'm sure I could find the vids if I wanted, but work beckons.

Perhaps that's what's at the center of the earth. Where is the center point of earth's gravity and what does that do?

I was out that day in science class.

Soul

CFTraveler
8th December 2014, 02:01 PM
A wormhole in the center of the earth. Why not? I wonder if someone's figured out how much gravitational attraction it would generate, its event horizon moving the mantle to create the em field that surrounds it.
I've always thought that the 'hollow earth' theory was childish and religiously motivated, but the idea of a black hole in the center of the earth is intriguing.

GMAN12
10th December 2014, 07:56 AM
I saw that movie two weeks ago. I really loved how it played out. It was a long movie and some of my family thought it was boring, but it's obvious they aren't into stuff that's mind blowing like this. It also makes me wonder about the earth and why the core itself is so incredibly protected.

John Sorensen
10th December 2014, 01:56 PM
Man I loved Nolan's Interstellar.

After I watched it (and I've watched all of Nolan's films multiple times) I went

Hmmmmm, Interstellar was a journey into the outer universe, and Inception was a journey to the inner universe, which of course are just aspects of the greater singular reality (or if you like, multiple realities and universes contained in the All That Is, or whatever word you prefer).

Anyhow, I love the whole film and can't wait to watch it again. I particularly enjoyed that Nolan attempted to show a Tesseract (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract)in a film, well at least his version of one.

The science and (theoretical) science I really enjoyed, it was fun to see what was known theory, and where he branched off from that from science fact to science fiction.

One thing I like about Nolan films, is that he has pondered every frame that goes into one of his films, if there is a narrative macguffin, a plot hole or something that doesn't make sense, you know that he is aware of it, and often it is very intentional, even if you don't agree with it.

I sound like some sort of "Nolan apologist", but listening to the commentaries on any of his films, and he will point out any plot holes or inconsistencies in a very matter of fact way, which is refreshing when some directors want to pretend their films are perfect and unquestionable.

Another thing I like about his films, is that they suggest quantum physics, that is, there is NO official versions of reality in his films, they are open to multiple EQUALLY valid interpretations, and Nolan has stated this in clear terms on numerous occasions , which makes his films very fun to examine for film theory, and in a general exploratory way eg themes, values, motivations etc.

I liked how in Interstellar when McConaughey's character leaves earth, it is absolutely heart breaking, and yet at the same time, he just knows he has to go, like he can just feel a higher calling, even though it means leaving everything and everyone he knows and loves behind, for what will most likely be oblivion, with a slim chance of helping the human race.

It suggests to me that he had little nudges from his higher self, he know that nobody was forcing him to go, but if he didn't go, he would be haunted by that decision every day, however, even going meant the horrible pain of leaving behind his children, who would most likely grow up hating him for his decision, which can also be viewed as selfish and irresponsible.

CFTraveler
10th December 2014, 03:33 PM
Yep. All the way.

SoulSail
10th December 2014, 03:51 PM
All great points John.

I like the idea that "they", the entities responsible for placing the wormhole and arranging the quantum architecture for a given outcome, turned out to be "us", though at that point my mind was already blown so I didn't think about it any more.

Seems Kevin Spacey said it best (loosely translated...)

When you reach the top you then send the elevator back down.