PDA

View Full Version : First OBE experience (s?) Part 1

MooSaysTheCat
11th December 2014, 09:30 AM
First of all....a big fat ~SIGH~ ...I didn't think I would ever post something in THIS section of the forums.

Well I guess I should start with what happened a few days ago. I just want to say I'm not really sure if this is anything "special" , but it's something that has not happened before and so by default I'm interested in it.

So maybe two weeks ago I was going to sleep at around 11:30pm I was a bit more tiered than usual but nothing serious. I was already lying in bed on my side, my brother was sitting on the other side of the room using his laptop, his back turned to me. From my bed I was looking in the general direction to where my brother was, simply waiting for me to fall asleep. Thats where it starts . First I start hearing some noise very similar to tree branches violently swaying in the wind , you know like in monster movies how the first person to die always says "oh it's just the wind" , if you have seen a monster movie you know what I'm talking about. I was just listening to it because I didn't notice anything weird in it at first ,then it got unnaturally loud and I started to hear "voices" in the "wind" as if 5 people where whispering different unknown words at the same time. About 5 or maybe 10 seconds of continuously hearing this my vision started to distort, as if I was looking at a water surface and then dropped a small rock then the reflection would distort. This was happening in that moment to the door of my room in a semi-spiral shape. All of this I was observing with great curiosity and wonder until my vision distorted in a completely different way, this time it was very similar to when you are watching a video and then the video starts to freeze and the frames of the video start overlapping each other making things happen like one side of the video show one part of it and the other another. In my case half of my door was suddenly cut in half and switch sides with the wall besides it. This finally made me panic a little and I tried to move only to discover I was paralyzed , at this moment I also felt like I woke up from a sort of trance and my vision returned to normal and the noise/voices started to slowly fade away.

After that I slowly tried to regain control of my body and call out to my brother but apparently I couldn't speak , a few second later and I was finally able to get up and wait a moment and then go to sleep...normally.

So I wanted to know what all of this was about, here is the only place I can talk about it comfortably. Anything that you can make out of this would be appreciated , maybe this is not so uncommon in "sleeping-phenomena" if there is such a thing haha.

SoulSail
11th December 2014, 11:07 AM
It's called sleep paralysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis), and it often comes with the less-than-pleasant things called hypnogogic hallucinations. This phenomena is very common. And there's lots of fuss about what causes them and how to "break" out of an episode since the ringing in the head area and absolute paralysis can get very intense and painful even, never mind the sense that you're being watched and can't move.

I used to get these all the time when I was in my 20s and I was pretty sure they were evil or something. Now, when I feel one coming on I surf it like a wave and have found they are excellent for getting out of body. The noises, sights, and senses that happen during these can be scary, but that's just your human brain spinning up threats where there are none because it doesn't know what's happening. So it's doing its job in trying to protect you...fun, right? Your brain wants you to "snap to it" but you can't because you're already beginning an OBE and have zero control over your body. There are some theories that the wind/ringing sound is actually feedback between your physical body and whatever energy body is being prepared on exit, to exit. You may have noticed a very real sense of struggle to "surface" and get back to normal. This generally happens well on its own, but you can learn to let go here and poof.

I have a technique for breaking sleep paralysis if you're interested. But in short, don't sweat it and you can learn to use these as a launch point if you're feeling brave. Once you make them your friend, they serve well in exiting the body, sort of a ramp you can really fly down.

Soul

MooSaysTheCat
16th January 2015, 12:24 PM
Thank you very much ! This sleep paralysis is sort of exciting ya'know haha. But I'm glad I know more about it now.