PDA

View Full Version : Quantum entanglement- not only a spacey-wacey thing, also a timey-wimey thing.

CFTraveler
21st December 2014, 11:00 PM
http://news.sciencemag.org/2013/05/physicists-create-quantum-link-between-photons-dont-exist-same-time

ButterflyWoman
22nd December 2014, 02:20 AM
But is it wibbly-wobbly? I guess I should read the article to find out. ;) [goes to read] Well, no mention of wibbly-wobbly, but the implication is there. ;)

On a serious (and non DrWho referencing) note, this doesn't really surprise me at all. I have long understood on an experiential and esoteric level that time is as much of an illusion as space. Einstein showed that before I worked it out, though, obviously. :D It is nice to have scientific support for my intuitive understandings, though.

greytraveller
29th December 2014, 05:24 PM
Greetings CFT
Truly interesting. After reading I felt like Alice in Wonderland "Curiouser and Curiouser" (LOL)
The one point that stood out was at the end of paragraph four.
The author wrote
"It doesn't violate relativity, though: It's impossible to control the outcome of the measurement of the first photon, so the quantum link can't be used to send a message faster than light."

My understanding is that it IS possible to change the spin of a photon using a series of polarizers (a set of mirrors basically) that redirects and changes the direction of spin. So if one photon's spin is changed then it would be possible to instantaneously change the other 'entangled' photons spin.
Also I read that Chinese scientists DID manage to measure the spin of two entangled photons that were about 30 miles apart!
So I AM a bit confused.

Regards
Grey