PDA

View Full Version : Hypnogagic Imagry

Ator27
7th February 2015, 04:20 PM
I have started the trance work section of MAP and have been mediating regularly for a few months with varying results. I was wondering about some of the recurring hypnagogic imagary I see.

It starts as a kind of swirling redish cloud/mist for a lack of better words. From other material I have read I am to understand that is a natural biological function. Something about the optic nerves or such. But then I see faces start to appear. Like they are comming up out of water or sand. Only the water or sand is the red cloud/mist. I don't recognize any of the faces, and they usually fade or sink back into the hypnagogic background.

However, occasionaly, the faces look angry or in pain. Some almost look like they are screaming. It does not happen every time, I wouldn't even say it happens frequently but I find it is a bit disconcerting when it does. I have had other curious things happen but I was wondering if the faces, and more to the point, the disturbing faces are common or what that might mean?

As an addition curiousity, my 25 year old son has developed an interest in OBE and the required meditation and expresses a similar phenomenon.

CFTraveler
8th February 2015, 06:26 PM
They are common. I am not sure what they mean. I have had one of two look straight at me which made me shiver. Some people think it's the subconscious trying to jolt you out of this state. I don't doubt this, because once you can hold their gaze and not react they stop happening.

dontco
8th February 2015, 10:20 PM
It's possible they appear more because you pay so much attention to them. Maybe you should try not to, they will probably go away. What is also possible- they could express what's going on inside of you.

Ator27
9th February 2015, 01:24 AM
Dontco, I have been working very hard at not concentrating overly much on any of the sensations that arise. If I understand right, correct me please if I'm wrong, that is what I'm supposed to be working towards during trance/meditation sessions.

As for the specific imagery, my first thought was more or less what you suggest. That this may be my subconcious showing me tortured visages because of stress or difficulties in my life. I have a very high tempo stressful profession so I do tend to carry a bit of stress. Fortunately, the "tortured faces" don't happen often. As a side note, the Daily meditation I have been practicing has really taken the edge off. Especially at home.

As what I'm working towards are OBEs, what I find more distracting is when I feel like I'm wiggling inside or tilting. I get excited and kind of loose the whole thing and have to start over again. But, I do feel like I'm improving, and don't feel any particular pressure or schedule to meet any specific agenda. Kind of just enjoying each new experience.

CFTraveler, it is comforting to know that this isn't an unusual experience. I'm sure my son will be happy to hear that as well.

As always, I really appreciate everyone's help and perspectives. Some day I hope to be able to help others as everyone here is helping me.

dontco
9th February 2015, 08:17 AM
It sounds like you're doing a fine job!
Well- if your working for OBEs- then it may be easier for you to try-
1. To go out of body after waking up from sleep. It's much easier (try not to move and get to the mind awake body asleep state).
2. To go out of body from a lucid dream (wake yourself up without moving and then go out).
Good luck to you and your son! :-)

Tanjeria
24th November 2015, 11:23 PM
Hey I just read this post and I have to add something here.

Before my Kundalini Awakening event in August 2014 I never had visions, colors or lights in my head. But when the awakening happened and I got
more interested in meditation and Astral Projections I suddenly had a whole chain of crystal clear faces. Also my vision screen since the Awakening
is a red hue! I see the same redness in front of me when I just close my eyes. Nothing dark, only a red circle that stretches over the vision with darker edges.
Sometimes in a state in between I suppose I would suddenly see a light flash and a face would appear. All of them looked kind of angry, I was not afraid of them but every single time I tried to focus on them my heart would make a jump which startled me. However I did not see only human faces. At the end of this
sudden faces chain I saw something else crystal clear in front of me. It was like leaning in front them left side of the vision screen. It was tall, had a very dark skin color, an oblong head shape, but I could not see eyes, mouth etc. I was so curious about this face that I tried to focus on it, but again my heart jolted and the face disappeared. This was the last time I had faces appearing, since then I sometimes see a vision tunnel with downloaded material like mandalas, book pages, languages I do not know etc. and all of them would float really fast in my direction. Very weird.

Yesterday for the first time in a long time I finally saw a face again, of an older man, black, grey hair. Blue eyes and his expression looked like manically laughing. This time my heart did not jump and the face disappeared from alone. I think the angry faces are the ones that create a shock effect.