PDA

View Full Version : Questions about awareness

eurotrash
27th July 2006, 06:22 PM
Ok so I'm going through Astral Dynamics and I'm at the beginning of the NEW section. It's telling me about being aware of body parts, focusing on them, feeling them with your mind.

So my questions are:

1. When you focus your attention on a certain body part, are you supposed to feel anything in particular?
Because when I focus on my hands (especially thumbs), feet (especially toes), and neck, I immediately feel a strong sensation, like something very soft that is putting pressure on (the body part).
But perhaps I am simply becoming aware of the blood that is pumping through my veins.
And if there isn't a particular feeling that one must get, how does one tell if they are in fact focusing on the *body part*?

2. When I'm "becoming aware", or focusing, on a body part, can I also use visualization or should I just try to "feel" but abstain from images?
Because when I focus on my body, I naturally "see" my body in my mind, and when I focus on a certain part, say my foot, I will put my "visual" attention on my foot, which then leads the "feeling" or "awareness" there.
Though if I try, I can keep my body from appearing in my mind.
But AFAIR, Robert says that it is a non-visual exercise so I'm wondering if perhaps I should refrain from visualizing and focus soley on sensations.

CFTraveler
27th July 2006, 06:59 PM
Ok so I'm going through Astral Dynamics and I'm at the beginning of the NEW section. It's telling me about being aware of body parts, focusing on them, feeling them with your mind.

So my questions are:

1. When you focus your attention on a certain body part, are you supposed to feel anything in particular?
Because when I focus on my hands (especially thumbs), feet (especially toes), and neck, I immediately feel a strong sensation, like something very soft that is putting pressure on (the body part).
But perhaps I am simply becoming aware of the blood that is pumping through my veins.
And if there isn't a particular feeling that one must get, how does one tell if they are in fact focusing on the *body part*? If you think of your right foot, and then wiggle your toe, the awareness you get of your foot that you get at that moment, the awareness of where the foot is and how it feels, is the same awareness you have when you shift focus to your foot. As to sensations, these vary, but awareness is awareness. The only problem with visualization (or imagination) is that it may shift focus from the actual foot to your mental picture of what you remember your foot to look like. )I hope this was understandable- it made sense when I put it together in my head. :) )

2. When I'm "becoming aware", or focusing, on a body part, can I also use visualization or should I just try to "feel" but abstain from images?
Because when I focus on my body, I naturally "see" my body in my mind, and when I focus on a certain part, say my foot, I will put my "visual" attention on my foot, which then leads the "feeling" or "awareness" there.
Though if I try, I can keep my body from appearing in my mind.
But AFAIR, Robert says that it is a non-visual exercise so I'm wondering if perhaps I should refrain from visualizing and focus soley on sensations. I guess part of your question was answered in the first section. Another point is that even if what you are feeling an increase in circulation in a locality, remember what circulation is- there is energy used in the movement of the blood- the difference of awareness is energetic, and energy will reflect in the physical. Which one causes what first is irrelevant to me, just that there is an increase in energy, causing physical sensations, which are interpreted by the brain either as tingling, warmth, and sometimes buzzing.
As to visualization- to do it or not is up to you- If it gets in the way of the tactile awareness, then don't do it. But if it causes anxiety and you find yourself unable to stop imaging, then do it. Anxiety is the opposite effect you want to achieve.
But it is also a great mind-taming exercise, if you choose to look at it this way.
-CF

eurotrash
27th July 2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. And yes, the argument that by visualizing I might focus on the mental picture of my body instead of my body itself, makes a lot of sense.