PDA

View Full Version : ~ | Hotel California | ~ what do you think?

WhiteMonkey
10th June 2015, 10:07 PM
Hey guys

I and my friend was talking recently about the meaning from the song hotel california. Please read the text and tell me what u think.

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the Captain,
"Please bring me my wine"
He said, "We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine"
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave! "

Options
1 Satanism
2 A cannibalism house
3 A phsycatric hospital
3 Drug addiction
4 Wild west
5 Others

Please share your theorie

All the best

dontco
10th June 2015, 10:26 PM
Did you read about it on Wikipedia? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_California
But I have to say I like your theories! I liked the explanation of the psychiatric hospital best. It fits the ending.

WhiteMonkey
11th June 2015, 04:13 AM
Thats true :) i just find it interesting cause everyone knows the song but the lyrics get lost somehow

newfreedom
11th June 2015, 04:19 AM
Hotel California (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NTqZ347TKY)

i will look at this link & get back to you wht.monkey (monkey)

i think i must have Norman Bates issues! lol ... i have just realised it's called 'Hotel' ...

so i would have to say 'Others' - Hellhole...

Ok, now i go listen to song & words , hang on

I CHOOSE ~~> Satanism :mrgreen:

ok, no theory right now, BUT maybe LATER :D

ButterflyWoman
11th June 2015, 06:17 AM
I lived in California not long after this song was released. Believe me, it's a metaphor for the entertainment industry and Southern California culture of the day. Although, the culture hasn't changed that much. Check out the lyrics for "Californication" by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

As a fan of the Eagles for most of my life, I can tell you that while a couple of them are pretty well educated, none of them are mystical in any way.

newfreedom
11th June 2015, 06:33 AM
I lived in California not long after this song was released. Believe me, it's a metaphor for the entertainment industry and Southern California culture of the day. Although, the culture hasn't changed that much. Check out the lyrics for "Californication" by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

As a fan of the Eagles for most of my life, I can tell you that while a couple of them are pretty well educated, none of them are mystical in any way.

Well that clears it up then...

i think i know that Red hot chilli peppers song, in 2008 (? i think) i found the red hot chilli peppers & bought a box CD set of them ,must locate that -Thanks :-)x

RE: As a fan of the Eagles for most of my life, I can tell you that while a couple of them are pretty well educated, none of them are mystical in any way.

:lol2:

IA56
11th June 2015, 08:09 AM
I say drug addiction....but the beast can be killed totally!!..I know...and I have killed my sonīs beast too!! I have to make an correction....I do not believe in killing...but in transformation....and I must also correct that I stood by my son that he was able to transform his beast...because everyone has to do own work...we can only support and give currage.

Love
ia

WhiteMonkey
11th June 2015, 08:13 AM
Its very interesting yesterday I read a post of a guy who worked in the psychatric hospital which was called hotel california while the song was published and he said a guy inside the hospital wrote the song for the them...

ButterflyWoman
11th June 2015, 08:37 AM
Years ago, when I was actually living in California, I was... let's say I was under the influence of... well. It was California in the late Seventies. Nuff said. ;)

Anyway, I was listening to "Hotel California" and I was blown away by how deep and meaningful it all was. It just seemed so profound to me. I even took some notes because I was so amazed.

Next day, I couldn't remember what the hell I'd thought I heard in the song, or what meanings I thought I'd perceived. I got the notes and looked them over and none of them made any damned sense at all. I still don't know what I thought I was hearing, to be honest. ;)

Point being, it's just that kind of song. If you're at all inclined (for whatever reason, including possibly psychosis or delusion) to see or hear mystical or powerfully meaningful and "deep" stuff, that's definitely one song that lends itself to that kind of interpretation or experience, mostly because the metaphors are extremely powerful and evocative (thank Don Henley's literature degree for that, I think).

"American Pie" is another song that evokes the same kinds of experiences, and it's also bursting with metaphors (but is actually, apparently, inspired by the death of Buddy Holly, which I never would have guessed in a million years if I hadn't seen Don McLean say it, himself). There are some Beatles songs that can have that effect, too, and definitely Pink Floyd (I'll see you on the dark side of the moon....). And that's just the tip of the iceberg. :)

CFTraveler
11th June 2015, 02:45 PM
It was my wedding song. Heheh. But that says a lot about me anyway.

ButterflyWoman
12th June 2015, 07:25 AM
It was my wedding song. Heheh. But that says a lot about me anyway.
At least it wasn't Freebird. ;)

CFTraveler
12th June 2015, 03:41 PM
Gawd no.