PDA

View Full Version : Breath Awareness Alternatives?

Cal
20th July 2015, 11:59 AM
Hi, does anyone know any meditation technique to help keep the mind clear because breath awareness doesn't work for me.

Thanks

-asalantu-
20th July 2015, 01:44 PM
A trick (something like a reset switch) wich serves to me is to murmur "Oh-MMMM" at breath exhale time giving attention to chest and nasal vibrations.

Sincerely,
Ángel

ButterflyWoman
20th July 2015, 03:47 PM
I have a box I built in my mind. It's got a heavy lid, with hinges. I put thoughts in it and they stay there, with the clear understanding that I can take them out later if I want to and re-examine them (I never actually end up having to do that, but the option is always there).

CFTraveler
20th July 2015, 06:34 PM
I do various versions of breath awareness- from the simple 'breathing colors' to the more complicated alternate-nostril breathing. And in-between things like breathing through all the chakras, one by one. There's all kinds of ways to vary this and not fall asleep.

Cal
21st July 2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks, I'm gonna try out these suggestions.

But does anyone have any ideas that do not involve the breath at all?

ButterflyWoman, your thought box seems like a very advanced technique, I can't imagine that would work for me.

outofbodydude
21st September 2015, 04:52 PM
You can focus on sensations within the body or move your point of awareness throughout your body.
You can repeat a mantra.
You can do meta meditation (focusing on loving kindness and goodwill for oneself and others).
You can count with the intention of attaining a particular state of consciousness when a certain number is reached.
You can focus on releasing tension in the body and mind.
You can focus on completely letting go of all thoughts and attachments (this is closely related to the previous method).

CFTraveler
22nd September 2015, 01:52 PM
You can visualize a very beautiful mountain, and either climb it, or go down it if you start out at the top. I do this ocassionally, and spend time working out the landscape.

buzzcock
23rd September 2015, 03:44 AM
Yesterday I was feeling a bit stressed in a crowded train station and I spontaneously calmed myself by imagining a spinning whirlpool around me. Having failed to calm myself with simple breathing/mind clearing. I'm not sure where the idea came from, it seemed to happen by itself.

ButterflyWoman
23rd September 2015, 04:30 AM
Yesterday I was feeling a bit stressed in a crowded train station and I spontaneously calmed myself by imagining a spinning whirlpool around me. Having failed to calm myself with simple breathing/mind clearing. I'm not sure where the idea came from, it seemed to happen by itself.
That's a good technique for removing other people's energy and keeping it away. I like that one. Might use it, myself.

buzzcock
23rd September 2015, 12:18 PM
That's a good technique for removing other people's energy and keeping it away. I like that one. Might use it, myself.

thank you.

WhiteMonkey
25th September 2015, 02:16 AM
Try to watch all your thoughts an accept them. Always say you are here now and so go please. Let them come and go so after some time there want be any new ones coming anymore