PDA

View Full Version : Seth Speaks book

buttercup
27th November 2015, 08:04 AM
I had heard so many good things about this book so figured it was time to check it out. There was so many great reviews on Amazon and the snippets I'd read online were excellent but I have to say,I'm a bit disappointed. I'm about 3/4 of the way through. For one,I find the book to be way overly written. I feel the information could be condensed way better and make a shorter book. I also find myself questioning some of the info in a how does he know way. I thought I'd find amazing info on some of the more out there concepts that intrigue and there was a little bit of that but not as much as I thought and some of the concepts just don't resonate with me and seem subjective not as an absolute truth. I don't know. I was expecting a very high vibration book that was very deep down the rabbit hole that would blow my mind but instead I feel like this is an overly written philosophy book where I'm finding myself from time to time questioning the why/how do you know aspects of it. Other books of this nature usually resonate with me right away and I quickly find things I start applying that help shift my life and I don't find myself skeptical. I'm not a skeptical type. Maybe I started with the wrong Seth book. It's called Seth Speaks,the eternal validity of the soul. Either way,since this book hasn't pleased me as much as I thought it would I'm leaning towards going with a Neville Goddard book next. Has anyone else read the Seth book? What did you get out of it and what did you think of it?

On another note,while I'm on the topic I think one thing that was making me conflicted is this:The law of attraction is my number one belief system. I've had it proven to me too many times to doubt it and with this book there seemed to be some things that were objective and some subjective and I just feel if the law of attraction exists,shouldn't EVERYTHING be subjective? Otherwise,who else is making these rules? It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something in the book. Or,maybe I have my own inner conflicts still since I believe in subjective reality but occasionally on some level wonder but what if reality IS objective? Objective reality would then make more limits to things but it also makes things feel more real,hence why I believe people feel drawn to believe in it. Steve Pavlina talked about this before,and one of the younger guys who he has mentored expanded on this in another way that struck a chord in me that made sense,it just felt right which is this:A subjective reality template allows the law of attraction to flow without limits which I feel makes most sense. If loa is real,there should be no exceptions,it's always operating whether you believe in it or not. And,the multiverse theory which is that we are all sort of living in our own private universe. This then allows the loa to flow with no limits,there is no one making the rules,it is us however it's not solipism as other people are real,but living in their own private universe as well. It sounds crazy but this makes much more sense then things like law of attraction is real but there is this exception and that exception. And,to further it,if loa is real then if one believes in subjective reality,then via their beliefs their reality HAS to be a subjective reality,there can be no exceptions. I definitely do not believe in solipism per se,though I can see it how it'd seem like it. It doesn't resonate with me that there's a higher power choosing things for us sometimes. I believe it is all us,in our own seperate dreams creating. I do believe in a God,but not like most people do. I believe the universe in inherently friendly.

CFTraveler
27th November 2015, 04:32 PM
Remember it's old, from a time when people expressed themselves differently, and had longer attention spans. Also a lot has been extrapolated from these books (just like Edgar Cayce's work) which makes a lot of this information redundant for us at this point- but it was groundbreaking at it's own time, and I still enjoy it.

buttercup
27th November 2015, 10:27 PM
Remember it's old, from a time when people expressed themselves differently, and had longer attention spans. Also a lot has been extrapolated from these books (just like Edgar Cayce's work) which makes a lot of this information redundant for us at this point- but it was groundbreaking at it's own time, and I still enjoy it.

Yes,that's true. I tried telling myself that as well,that perhaps it's because the work is older may be having me have trouble with some of it. Also,remembering how many spiritual teachers love the work,too. However,the contrast of how I was feeling actually led me to realize what I am looking for. I think i'm looking for a book on subjective reality. I actually ended up googling and found a book by David Hawkins I may check out later on. Lol. Kinda funny because it made me realize in my frustration what my asking/seeking actually was for. It was for works on subjective reality! This seems to be the missing link for me that I have trouble applying because I've been conflicting in my head subjective vs objective reality.

SoulSail
2nd December 2015, 02:54 AM
Hi Buttercup,

Have you read much on Indra's Net? You might enjoy its richer meanings as they speak to "private" realities while voiding Solipsism. Here's a bit on it:

"Far away in the heavenly abode of the great god Indra, there is a wonderful net which has been hung by some cunning artificer in such a manner that it stretches out infinitely in all directions. In accordance with the extravagant tastes of deities, the artificer has hung a single glittering jewel in each "eye" of the net, and since the net itself is infinite in dimension, the jewels are infinite in number. There hang the jewels, glittering "like" stars in the first magnitude, a wonderful sight to behold. If we now arbitrarily select one of these jewels for inspection and look closely at it, we will discover that in its polished surface there are reflected all the other jewels in the net, infinite in number. Not only that, but each of the jewels reflected in this one jewel is also reflecting all the other jewels, so that there is an infinite reflecting process occurring."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indra%27s_net

So here's my understanding as it relates to reality, both subjective and objective:

1. "You" exist in "my" awareness.
2. I exist in yours.
3. Therefore, we are mutually dependent (jewels in Indra's net).
4. A jewel appears where the reflections of other jewels merge and intersect upon a single point.
5. Pull even a single jewel out and the whole net vanishes, goes out like a string of Christmas lights.
6. Would "I" exist if not for "you" existing to perceive me? Could you exist without being observed?

Subject is object. Object is no other than subject, doing away with the idea of separation between the two. You may want to read a book called Refuting the External World by Goran Backlund. It's very helpful on seeing how to easily collapse the dual notions around this stuff.

My two cents, worth one on most days...

Soul

buttercup
15th February 2016, 11:32 AM
Hi Buttercup,

Have you read much on Indra's Net? You might enjoy its richer meanings as they speak to "private" realities while voiding Solipsism. Here's a bit on it:

"Far away in the heavenly abode of the great god Indra, there is a wonderful net which has been hung by some cunning artificer in such a manner that it stretches out infinitely in all directions. In accordance with the extravagant tastes of deities, the artificer has hung a single glittering jewel in each "eye" of the net, and since the net itself is infinite in dimension, the jewels are infinite in number. There hang the jewels, glittering "like" stars in the first magnitude, a wonderful sight to behold. If we now arbitrarily select one of these jewels for inspection and look closely at it, we will discover that in its polished surface there are reflected all the other jewels in the net, infinite in number. Not only that, but each of the jewels reflected in this one jewel is also reflecting all the other jewels, so that there is an infinite reflecting process occurring."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indra%27s_net

So here's my understanding as it relates to reality, both subjective and objective:

1. "You" exist in "my" awareness.
2. I exist in yours.
3. Therefore, we are mutually dependent (jewels in Indra's net).
4. A jewel appears where the reflections of other jewels merge and intersect upon a single point.
5. Pull even a single jewel out and the whole net vanishes, goes out like a string of Christmas lights.
6. Would "I" exist if not for "you" existing to perceive me? Could you exist without being observed?

Subject is object. Object is no other than subject, doing away with the idea of separation between the two. You may want to read a book called Refuting the External World by Goran Backlund. It's very helpful on seeing how to easily collapse the dual notions around this stuff.

My two cents, worth one on most days...

Soul

Just now seen this thread. I will have to check it out. I have to say I was a little bummed by the Seth Speaks book. Maybe the whole channeling thing doesn't resonate with me admittedly. I ended up going with a Fred Alan Wolfe book after that and it was honestly one of the best books I've ever read and was just what I was looking for it. It spoke about how there is no predestiny and concepts such as "quantum solipsism." I'm also getting into Neville Goddard now. What's interesting is even on the Neville site I peruse quite a bit,the author says he has trouble getting into the whole channeling thing and that a lot of people come from Abraham Hicks and all sorts of new age authors ending up more confused then ever which i noticed and even found myself becoming like,too. I'm glad I checked out the Seth Speaks book just to see what it's all about since it gets a lot of hype,and granted there probably was some interesting parts,but Fred Alan Wolfe,and Neville seem much more my style.