PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get coarse salt for the Mega Salt Bath?

MRoberto
6th August 2006, 05:08 PM
I found some in the grocery store, but it wasnt that coarse. Just curious where I should look for salt thats best for this technique. Thanks,
Mike

CFTraveler
6th August 2006, 05:12 PM
Have you tried a bath place? Like Bath and Body works, etc.

violetsky
6th August 2006, 07:05 PM
Dear MRoberto,

Most health food stores carry it. And if they do not they usually will order it for you. Two of the three health food stores in the town I live in carry the coarse sea salt though sometimes run out of stock.

Very Best Wishes,
violetsky

Tom
6th August 2006, 07:36 PM
Because salt baths require so much salt I have been wondering if maybe it would be best to get the cheapest possible salts in bulk and then mix in a cup or so of something much better? I think I remember something about dead sea salt being really good because of the variety of minerals present in it, but that it was expensive and getting several pounds / kilograms of it in the bath for every use would go through your supply quickly.

violetsky
6th August 2006, 07:54 PM
Dear Tom,

Thank you for mentioning this.

Yes Dead Sea Salt is very expensive per pound. And the idea of mixing is a good one I think. I have used sea salt mixed with cheap store bought pickling salt before and it works. The sea salt is gentle on the skin. Coarse sea salt tends to cost about $2-3 /kg where I buy it. Sea salt can be purchased in very coarse grains that are about 5-7 cubic mm in size.

Very Best Wishes,
violetsky

6th August 2006, 09:38 PM
Alex mentioned "rock salt". This is what you use to make homemade ice cream in an ice cream maker. Been doing it for years on July 4. :D You can find it in pretty much any large grocery store/supermarket. It's usually in a box at the bottom of the aisle with the spices, salt, sugar, etc. I don't remember it being very expensive. Seems like it's fairly cheap.

7th August 2006, 12:16 AM
MRoberto,

You can find huge 40lb bags of Solar Salt and Rock Salt at Feed stores (I think Lowes even sells this too, don't know if you live near a Lowes though) too fairly cheap. Less than 10 bucks a bag. This salt is very course.

I think I had to get two 40lb bags in order to take 7 days worth of Mega Salt Baths.

Morton® White Crystal® Rock Salt is 98.9% pure salt mined from natural underground salt deposits. Rock salt contains a slightly higher level of insoluble mineral particles. When using rock salt, periodic brine tank clean-outs are recommended.

Morton® White Crystal® Solar Salt is 99.5% pure salt crystallized by the sun and wind from natural salt brine held in open ponds. This salt contains small amounts of insoluble particles from the environment that may need to be periodically removed from the brine tank.

EDIT : Lowe's Online sells Solar Salt at less than $6/40lb bag.

7th August 2006, 12:20 AM
This question comes up periodically, maybe it could be sticky-ified?

7th August 2006, 09:03 AM
I was going to say stockfeed stores, I used to work at Albany Stock Feeds, where we would mix up feeds for horses and the like, and had coarse salt in 40Kg bags. Anywhere that stocks feed for livestock.

Violet I couldn't help chuckling at the use of pickling salt. That would be an interesting find for the coroner if there were any mid-bath mishaps :)

That's funny. Talk about your news of the weird...

7th August 2006, 07:35 PM
Can we make a clarification in the event of preventing a mishap...when we say "rock salt" we are talking about the salt animals use, not the other variety used to de-ice the roads and sidewalks during winter.

Those are two entirely different salts, and the one used to de-ice is very corrosive to the skin.

Some of the other salts on the lowes site include Potassium Chloride which is poisonous and will kill someone.

Can we please just have a clarification that we mean either Dead Sea Salts (if you can afford it) or Sodium Chloride.

EOL007
10th August 2006, 01:20 PM
Hi,

Had a look around and noted that potassium chloride is natural constituent of Dead Sea salt and natural unrefined rock salt.

The 'Salt' debate has raged between those following allopathic nutritional thinking and naturopathy for decades. Certainly it is commonly accepted thinking is that refined salt is toxic as it has been denatured following removal of essential mineral salts – primarily causing a potassium/sodium misbalance, although on the other hand some of the thinking behind food combining would indicate that eating foods with natural balance of potassium/sodium is critical to healthy living.

The problem in particular with people blindly following the SAD diet is that refined salt and other denatured products have snuck there way into most pre-prepared/packaged food products.

With respect to Potassium chloride being lethal... is seems to be a matter of dosage and application. Have a search on potassium chloride as part of the lethal injection practice (not wishing to start a moral debate on that one), and compare that with conclusions on the health benefits of natural salt bathing!

If the potassium chloride dosage in rock and sea salt (including Dead sea) for bathing was to be a likely problem then people would have been dropping like flies as a result yonks ago... etc.

So pardon the diversion to the food debate, and hope that my few thoughts are of some help. Of course correct me if I seem misadvised etc.

Best,

Stephen

10th August 2006, 04:34 PM
But Potassium alone is not the same as Potassium Chloride. One is a salt the other is not.

And yes I do agree that dosage has a lot to do with it...but if it is pure Potassium Chloride salt...I wouldn't bath in it.

You can get sea salt in bulk at http://www.qualityfarmandfleet.com

Just enter Sea Salt into the search engine and it will bring up all kinds of stuff.

I use upward of 14 - 16 pounds of salt in my bath. I don't want to see someone with as severe a problem as mine use 14 pounds of pure Potassium Chloride rock salt.

CFTraveler
10th August 2006, 08:21 PM
Hi,

Had a look around and noted that potassium chloride is natural constituent of Dead Sea salt and natural unrefined rock salt.

The 'Salt' debate has raged between those following allopathic nutritional thinking and naturopathy for decades. Certainly it is commonly accepted thinking is that refined salt is toxic as it has been denatured following removal of essential mineral salts – primarily causing a potassium/sodium misbalance, although on the other hand some of the thinking behind food combining would indicate that eating foods with natural balance of potassium/sodium is critical to healthy living.

The problem in particular with people blindly following the SAD diet is that refined salt and other denatured products have snuck there way into most pre-prepared/packaged food products.

With respect to Potassium chloride being lethal... is seems to be a matter of dosage and application. Have a search on potassium chloride as part of the lethal injection practice (not wishing to start a moral debate on that one), and compare that with conclusions on the health benefits of natural salt bathing!

If the potassium chloride dosage in rock and sea salt (including Dead sea) for bathing was to be a likely problem then people would have been dropping like flies as a result yonks ago... etc.

So pardon the diversion to the food debate, and hope that my few thoughts are of some help. Of course correct me if I seem misadvised etc.

Best,

Stephen

Just a comment on this: The heart needs both sodium and potassium to beat, and any internal imbalance can cause problems like heart failure and kidney failure.
When we talk about salt baths, we are talking about external salts used for external reasons. Unless there is an underlying condition, a reasonably healthy person shouldn't have problems with a salt bath, provided they hydrate before (please see the tutorials for this)and are not having health problems, and are not on any diuretics. Some diuretics are potassium-sparing, which means that such person could be poisoned from too much potassium in their intake.
Mineral salts have safe amounts of sodium and potassium in them, so it's ok to use them, but I would just go with old fashioned salt (like the one used for food preparation) for a mega-salt bath.
And, just for the record, I personally use pool salt pellets (NaCl) in my salt showers, which break into crystals when wet. As I have a septic tank I can't do the baths- but the showers work fine for me.
I mix the shower gel (lavender, of course) with the salt and scrub myself, wait a few minutes (it stings) and then rinse. It has given me good results, although I don't think anything has attached to me.

11th August 2006, 12:01 PM
OK, but I'll say again...the Potassium mineral we intake for living is not Potassium Chloride. These are two entirely different things.

EOL007
11th August 2006, 12:59 PM
Hi DK,

Sorry if this will sound confusing. In tissue therapy and in food combining theory a wider range of salts are regarded as (how can I say it) desirous to good health apparently. A simple outline can be found on the BBC health site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_liv ... ssue.shtml (http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/complementary_medicine/remedies_tissue.shtml)

I'm not a bio-chemist or mineralogist and only a low level Naturopathy student at best, but I understand that Potassium Chloride is a natural constituent of unrefined rock and sea salt (human consumption variants).

Obviously no one is going to eat pure potassium metal (the result no doubt would be rather fiery to put it mildly) or clearly toxic minerals/salts.

Separately, it is generally understood in Naturopathic terms that many common diseases are caused by salt imbalances - primarily arising from poor diet e.g. the standard American diet (the aforementioned SAD). There isn't space here to discuss this adequately and again sorry to diverge from the topic of salt bathing.

Do you agree that the types of salts already discussed in the thread have been adequately listed or at least reference made to them?

Oh, by the way Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulphate) is also safe to bath in and is used in high concentration in Flotation tank therapy - which I have tried out with good effect.

I've also used Epsom salts at home in lower conc. - up to 3kg per bath with out issue. Although I find it more comfortable to use lower than normal temperatures than with normal sea salt or natural rock salt bathing. On occasion I've also added Bicarbonate of soda (up to 300-400g) to the salt bath.

Occasionally I use essential oils, but read somewhere that they should not be added to hot salt baths and one should not add mineral oils either... e.g. baby oil. I think this is more in relation to allowing the skin/pores to have clear medium to allow detox/mineral balancing to occur, rather than anything related to neg energy clearing etc. Although propriety bathing salts e.g. the ubiquitous ‘Radox’ product have traditionally had a variety of herbal extracts and essential oils in their mixture!

In terms of mega salt bathing - my limit has been up to about 3-4kg sea salt.

For your info: I actually had or thought I had had a neg attack early July and used a 1kg salt bath that evening, and again in the morning – which was relatively clearing. I felt that it is not absolutely necessary to go the whole hog and mega bath if one does not have tonnes of salt available. As repeated bathing seemed for me anyway to work the same trick!

UK prices are much higher than USA/AUS - so might source salt lick salt or feed salt (providing it is same constituency as regular unrefined salt), and any info for low cost salt in the UK would be welcome.

Pardon the ramble yet again.

Best,

Stephen