PDA

View Full Version : Avatar showi ng or not showing in the Activity Stream List

newfreedom
18th January 2016, 07:43 AM
Hi

Can anyone explain in 'easy to understand' instructions how i can make my avatar appear in the activity stream ? Thankyou.

Presently i show-up in the activity stream list with an empty /blank space where my avatar 'SHOULD' or could be.

I haven't the capacity at the moment to browse all the settings to try & 'work this out for myself'

Many Thanks in advance to Responses for this xxxx

CFTraveler
18th January 2016, 03:36 PM
I don't know if there is a way. I think it has to do with how the template works. But we'll look into it, those that are more technically savvy than some others (like me.)

newfreedom
24th January 2016, 05:41 AM
Ok, Thanks CFT. for your answer, it's a suprising answer, since i assumed it was something 'i needed to fix using the settings in some way'... so the fact that there may be 'nothing to do'is 'very interesting'

Thankyou for the Explanation, it's been something that's been 'bugging' me in the background for quite some time, so it's good to final 'put the issue to bed' :thumbsup:xx

ButterflyWoman
25th January 2016, 03:07 AM
I've never actually paid attention to that. I don't use the Activity Stream quite that way. I did have a look, though, and I don't even have a guess as to what it might be. It seems pretty random as to which avatars show and which don't. Very strange!

It's probably some setting in the back end, but I have absolutely no clue where or what that would be. I'll have to think on it, and make have a look and see what I can find. The board software is... quirky. ;)

IA56
25th January 2016, 07:03 AM
As I undertand there is profile picture to put into your site, and there is Avatar Picture to put in and this is showing in your threads when where you write on the site own threads or answere others.
There is on the left side on your site to click on Edit...to make this changes.....Both on your profile and your Avatar.

Love
ia

CFTraveler
25th January 2016, 01:37 PM
As I undertand there is profile picture to put into your site, and there is Avatar Picture to put in and this is showing in your threads when where you write on the site own threads or answere others.
There is on the left side on your site to click on Edit...to make this changes.....Both on your profile and your Avatar.

Love
ia
You know more than we do, lol.

IA56
25th January 2016, 01:58 PM
You know more than we do, lol.

:jester:

Love
ia

Astral Projection
18th February 2016, 05:40 PM
I still haven't worked out how to set an avatar, lol

DarkChylde
10th May 2016, 02:39 PM
I was wondering does my avatar show when you see the what's new list of threads? Or nothing is there.
A reply would be greatly appreciated. ty.

DarkChylde
10th May 2016, 02:50 PM
I just realized how my request comes off as ; vain - seems as if I'm asking to check if my stamp is visible or not everywhere
but the reason I'm asking is because I can see more of the personally made avatars then the ones in option.I thought that might help in figuring things about the glitch.
The other thing is that I don't read names by contributors to a thread and see their Avatar/DP only- so that way I can instantly go right to the thread I'd like to read.

So if you see mine , please do tell .

newfreedom
10th May 2016, 04:33 PM
I was wondering does my avatar show when you see the what's new list of threads? Or nothing is there.
A reply would be greatly appreciated. ty.

It doesn't show, nothing is there (least not for me) can you see it yourself in the 'What's New' list ?

What's interesting is that when we moved from the old forum to the new forum, my then avatar did show up in the 'what's new' list, it only stopped showing when i first decided to change my avatar here on the new forum.

DarkChylde
11th May 2016, 03:05 AM
It doesn't show, nothing is there (least not for me) can you see it yourself in the 'What's New' list ?

What's interesting is that when we moved from the old forum to the new forum, my then avatar did show up in the 'what's new' list, it only

stopped showing when i first decided to change my avatar here on the new forum.

then the settings are definitely wonky , because I can't see mine on the what's new list too , but interestingly I can see yours.

Most Odd.

newfreedom
11th May 2016, 10:45 AM
then the settings are definitely wonky , because I can't see mine on the what's new list too , but interestingly I can see yours.

Most Odd.

I never even gave it a thought when i started this thread that 'others' might be able to see my avatar in the 'What's New' list when i could not see it myself ! - i just assumed it didn't show :wacky1:

Timothy
11th May 2016, 01:34 PM
I assumed only Admin and new member avatars were seeable in what's new.

newfreedom
11th May 2016, 02:20 PM
I assumed only Admin and new member avatars were seeable in what's new.

Hi Tim,

i have just scrolled through the 'What's New' activity stream as far as i could & i can see approx. 11 different avatars, all (bar 1, i think) have had the same avatar for year(s) as i recall.

Are you able to see the new members avatars then ? ...because my 'What's new' activity stream does definately not show them.

What is shown would appear to be different for each person then :mrgreen:

DarkChylde
11th May 2016, 02:37 PM
yes I agree , we are all getting different settings for the avatars , really very strange.

DarkChylde
12th May 2016, 05:07 AM
in the threads (like this one) do you guys see an avatar for everyone or only for some and none for others?

IA56
12th May 2016, 05:32 AM
in the threads (like this one) do you guys see an avatar for everyone or only for some and none for others?

Hi DC,
I see CFT´s, LeonC´s, BW´s, Robert Bruce´s, Susan´s and my own avatar .

Love
ia

newfreedom
12th May 2016, 09:44 AM
Hi DC,
I see CFT´s, LeonC´s, BW´s, Robert Bruce´s, Susan´s and my own avatar .

Love
ia

When i checked through the 'What's new' activity thread yesterday as far as i was able to, i too could see those same avatars, plus a couple more

newfreedom
12th May 2016, 09:51 AM

In threads (like this one) i am able to see everyones' avatar, that has one. Some people don't have an avatar & so their name appears by itself without a picture.

The members who donot have avatars show up in my 'What's new' activity stream as having this instead of a picture:

http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=1167&stc=1

Others have a picture, others whose pictures don't show, have just a white space :-)

DarkChylde
12th May 2016, 12:35 PM
what's going on? I see whats new like this :http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168&stc=1

DarkChylde
12th May 2016, 12:47 PM
I find it very suspicious that susan the moderator has her avatar showing where as (both NF's and mine's) are missing
I think this is a covert mission to distract us from what's going on (clearly her feigned innocence is to blame)
If you are in her good books you get your avatar to show other wise not.
Clearly everyone can vouch for this right? a mission to get her more followers to her particular brand of cult (Satanic) I suspect :shock:

Timothy
12th May 2016, 01:34 PM
In a thread I always see everyone's unique avatar, plus new members. Could this be a problem then...with our device's ... I'm using an android cell phone.

newfreedom
12th May 2016, 01:57 PM
what's going on? I see whats new like this :http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168&stc=1

Yeah, that's how i see it too, some avatars are shown, some are not, some show the symbol i added earlier, that means they have no avatar. I thought it was something that i had to adjust within the settings here on the forum, when i first asked about this, but CFT & BW said it wasn't, so since there was nothing for me to do, then that was fine :-)

newfreedom
12th May 2016, 02:02 PM
In a thread I always see everyone's unique avatar, plus new members. Could this be a problem then...with our device's ... I'm using an android cell phone.

Tim, i don't know, but CFT & BW did give there thoughts on it, at the beginning of the thread, how the forum template works, or some settings in the backend, perhaps.

It was going to be looked into, to see if it could be fixed, nothing has changed (for me at least) so i guess it was un-fixable.

i like colours & pictures, so it would be nice to see all the different avatars next to each other in the activity stream, but that's all that it means to me.

P.S. yes, i always see everyones' avatar in the different threads too, it was only in the 'What's new' activity stream, where i was getting some avatars showing & some not showing.

DarkChylde
12th May 2016, 02:06 PM
yes it's a glitch in the system , maybe the moderators can put in a request to have it fixed?

susan
12th May 2016, 04:49 PM
I love your post DC. I hope and think it's a joke.
My computer skills are bare minimum. If any one of you has noticed when I try to copy as a quote I can never get the blue bubble. Only once I managed this but failed to remember how I did this. Everyone else here on the forum can manage.
A glitch in the system seems to be the issue.
I've just come in , haven't checked rest of forum but if BW or CFT haven't commented I'll put a note in the admin section. :)

CFTraveler
12th May 2016, 09:37 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with the type it is? Jpeg and pngs are the usual stuff I see....could it be something else? I'm afraid I'm as hopeless as Susan when it comes to some of these things.

CFTraveler
12th May 2016, 09:49 PM
Apparently it seems to be a thing in vbulletin. I don't know if this is at all helpful, but I found this:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-4/vbulletin-4-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/411878-avatar-not-showing-in-activity-stream

newfreedom
12th May 2016, 10:41 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with the type it is? Jpeg and pngs are the usual stuff I see....could it be something else? I'm afraid I'm as hopeless as Susan when it comes to some of these things.

Ah, ok....... if we use a custom avatar it does show in the 'What's new' activity stream, would that mean it is the Jpeg & pngs then ?

DarkChylde
13th May 2016, 03:12 AM
I love your post DC. I hope and think it's a joke.
My computer skills are bare minimum. If any one of you has noticed when I try to copy as a quote I can never get the blue bubble. Only once I managed this but failed to remember how I did this. Everyone else here on the forum can manage.
A glitch in the system seems to be the issue.
I've just come in , haven't checked rest of forum but if BW or CFT haven't commented I'll put a note in the admin section. :)

Gotcha ta laugh! :D , see , well call this "connecting" here , welcome to the family , my salutation was long overdue.

DarkChylde
13th May 2016, 04:31 AM
custom made avatars do not show up on what's new.They upload fine and appear fine on the page where you changed them but that's it.

DarkChylde
13th May 2016, 04:35 AM

Yes it's definitely a machine thing too , they show up on my android but not on my laptop.

newfreedom
13th May 2016, 09:51 AM
custom made avatars do not show up on what's new.They upload fine and appear fine on the page where you changed them but that's it.

Well i can see my custom made avatar & your custom made avatar now, in the 'What's New' ..... so it does seem to be the case for me that it now works,...... they do show :mrgreen:

i was going to choose the Zen avatar too :D ....... but then i spotted the Astral Dynamics one, which felt a slightly better 'fit'

Well for now, i have found my solution...... if i want to see my avatar in the 'What's new' activity stream..... then i have the option to choose a custom made avatar :thumbsup:

newfreedom
13th May 2016, 10:21 AM

I am using a computer, but my daughter's smartphone shows the forum just the same way as the computer does, so for us there appears no difference with devices :-)

DarkChylde
13th May 2016, 12:14 PM
I am using a computer, but my daughter's smartphone shows the forum just the same way as the computer does, so for us there appears no difference with devices :-)

I rechecked several times too , and yes it's not a machine issue at all , the way it appears is all the same on machine and android exactly.

I can be sure of what I claim since , the admin/Cf would have seen it on her Lenovo-pad/tablet and spotted the difference.(that is if she also uses another thing like a laptop or a computer itself).

BTW : I changed my avatar from self-made to the ones opted for in here for , now it's showing entirely for me on both "whats new" to this "avatar not showing thread).I assume you all can see it in "what's new" , right?

CFTraveler
13th May 2016, 01:59 PM
Yep, I can see it.