PDA

View Full Version : Curator Forced to kill bio-art exhibit.

DarkChylde
29th March 2016, 02:59 PM
:arrow: Curator Forced to kill bio-art exhibit. (http://io9.gizmodo.com/387274/curator-forced-to-kill-out-of-control-bio-art-exhibit)

This living bio-art organism exhibit was called "The Victimless Leather"
http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=1062&stc=1

dontco
29th March 2016, 04:08 PM
Cool! :-) sounds like it came right out of a science fiction movie! and cute jacket, though I wouldn't wear it since it might kill me by mistake ;)

DarkChylde
30th March 2016, 12:45 PM
I didn't even know there was such a thing as "bio-art" :shock:

LPCF
30th March 2016, 01:32 PM
Neither did I. I had to read the article you cited, then had a look Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victimless_Leather#Killing_the_Jacket

This is from 2008 and it would seem that this questionable piece of "art" has been replicated elsewhere. If I am honest, I don't appreciate the teenage-style giggling of Annalee Newitz at the end of the article: "I'm glad Antonelli made the right choice. You've got to kill these things before they grow into the lady from Species and start killing impressionable young art student boys in the bathroom after weird alien sex." That makes light of what is a serious issue.

The question arises, "What is alive? How do you define life?" According to the Wikipedia article, one of the "artists" said, "One of the most common and somewhat surprising comments we heard was that people were disturbed by our ethics of using living cells to grow living fabric, while the use of leather obtained from animals seems to be accepted without any concern for the well-being of the animals from which the skin has been removed."

Well, that may apply to some people, but vegetarians and vegans would not wear normal leather, either. I always buy shoes made of man-made material (and no need to apply shoe polish, LOL!). Something about this bio-art disturbs me, but I can't quite express why....

DarkChylde
30th March 2016, 01:42 PM
being disturbed is the right reaction to this.This is down right bizarre.

buzzcock
30th March 2016, 07:45 PM
very strange and interesting...did this "being" have any feelings/consiousness?

DarkChylde
30th March 2016, 09:05 PM
Very good question.
If there were neural and synpatic connections in it's stroma and if it had nerve endings then that's a probable yes.
I looked it up and couldn't find what kind of stem cells were used and what the tissue composition was.

The reason why I liked your question was that that article said , it has being given a nutritional supply , how was this thing absorbing the nutrients? clearly there was no alimentary canal (none that I could see) and complex multicellular organic tissue does not simply imbibe nutrition like the way bacterial cultures do in petri dishes.

and this thing had to be "cancerous" if it kept growing simply like that , a giant tumor if you will.

CFTraveler
31st March 2016, 04:02 PM
Don't they put stem cells in milk to keep them alive? Not sure what the process is either, just added this random thought here.