PDA

View Full Version : An Apple a Day

enoch
14th August 2006, 02:16 PM
I tried everything: b-vits, calea, cheese, glutamate, pot, visualisation, all kinds of supps....

but nothing has worked better for me in increasing dream vividness and recall than...

a red apple half an hour before bed! :?

Weird, but true. :!:

CFTraveler
14th August 2006, 06:45 PM
Is this on an empty stomach? Or as dessert? I ask because for some reason if I eat an apple with an empty stomach they give me tummyaches.

enoch
17th August 2006, 09:23 PM
well, I normally have dinner at approx 5.00pm. I eat the apple at 10-ish...so I would say an empty tummy. It's weird. I suppose people have different reactions to things.

ranlinra13
22nd August 2006, 09:39 PM
"apple juice consumption may actually increase the production in the brain of the essential neurotransmitter acetylcholine, resulting in improved memory. Neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine are chemicals released from nerve cells that transmit messages to other nerve cells. Such communication between nerve cells is vital for good health, not just in the brain, but throughout the body. "

I wonder if this affects the theta state????? I find this very interesting!!! Thanks for sharing.

Akashic_Librarian
23rd August 2006, 10:06 AM
Wow ranlinra13 thats really cool. I won't remember it though. But the apple thing is interesting. I will investigate !!!!

enoch
23rd August 2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks ranlinra...that is very interesting. I'll update if I find out any further info. Thanks again.

Alex..I've never heard of galangal. What is it? (excuse my ignorance)

enoch
24th August 2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks Alex. I think there's an oriental vendor in a neighbouring town - I'll see if they've got any at the weekend.

shadow.pulsar
11th April 2007, 09:16 PM
Neat. I'll have to try that. I've been trying to get my dreams to be a bit more vivid.

Flash_hound
14th April 2007, 08:52 PM
I happened to get this e-mail shortly after reading this lol.

Munch an Apple
A couple of apples a day may keep the neurologist away. "Apples have just the right dose of antioxidants to raise levels of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that's essential to memory and tends to decline with age," says Tom Shea, PhD, director of the University of Massachusetts Lowell Center for Cellular Neurobiology and Neurodegeneration Research. In addition, antioxidants in apples help preserve memory by protecting brain cells against damage from free radicals created by everyday metabolic action, such as the processing of glucose by the body's cells.

A study Shea coauthored with Amy Chan, PhD, published last year in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, found that mice suffering from the equivalent of normal human age-related memory loss or early Alzheimer's disease got a memory boost when they consumed a daily dose of apple juice. After just 1 month, those mice did a far superior job on a maze, which tests short-term memory, than the animals that didn't get the drink. Shea has begun clinical trials to determine whether humans get a similar benefit. In the meantime, he recommends consuming two or three apples or two 8-ounce glasses of apple juice each day; even one will give your brain a good lift.

Try and make those organic apples.

So who wants to go on this diet with me?