PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Leap - an interesting OBE type of sci-fi show

LightMan
15th September 2006, 09:45 PM
To those who don't know what Quantum Leap is, I'll just provide a link to a site that can fill you in on all the details:

http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/

I know its just a sci-fi show but it seems to deal with a lot of metaphysical topics including Astral Projection. The series itself deals with a premise of leaping one's soul into another person the result being that you switch places with that person. All done with the help of a parrallel-hybrid quantum computer with a large dash of time-travel involved. Its like the main character is having an OBE each week with the person he leaps into. Everyone can't see that it is Sam Beckett in that person, but they see the aura of the person that he leaps into.

I like the premise that Sam's initial leap into the past goes wrong and that he has to spend time in many different people putting things right that once went wrong just to get back to his body in the future.

If anyone here has never heard of the show or never watched it, I would recommend it - but its best to see the episodes in order as the premise of the show is revealed.

Are there any ex-viewers of this show present here ? I'd like to hear your comments !

CFTraveler
15th September 2006, 09:48 PM
I used to watch it all the time- I have always been a scifi geek. :lol:

atomheart
15th September 2006, 11:01 PM
lol quantum leap i used to love that! Remember Al his sort of guardian/helper that appeared to him as a hologram? It was indeed very OBE like that series I never made the connection..

TonyC
16th September 2006, 12:08 AM
I love Quantum Leap. Its a great show and I never really thought of it from an obe point of view. I own seasons 1-4 and season 5 should be released sometime in November I think.

16th September 2006, 04:46 AM
Have seen bits and pieces and have thought about buying the DVD's. Richard Dean Anderson seems to deal in a lot of metaphysical stuff in his shows :)

Another thing along semi-similair lines is Stargate SG1. I have seen way too many metaphysical concepts in that show to think that it's a coincidence that they are being brought up. I think the creators love working with that stuff. They have "ancients" that look like angels, OBE's, Bhuddhist philosophy, ect.

LightMan
17th September 2006, 06:13 PM
I own seasons 1- 4 on DVD as well. It really is a great show and its amazing how popular it still is today. I caught the first run way back when I was in high-school. The series started in my 1st year and ended in my last, 5th year of high-school. Many of my classmates used to discuss last night's episode every week and we used to do impressions of the characters just for laughs.

I would think that this show would appeal to those who frequent these boards , but its not for everyone like everything else in life.

RE: Spectral Dragon

I like Stargate SG-1 as well and like the metaphysical aspects of that show. I have a liking for the ascending episodes, epsecially those that involve Daniel Jackson and his ascension to a higher reality. I would so much like to experience that which Daniel does with ascending but something tells me that I would miss everyday life especially if I couldn't interfere with helping others through life - it just seems that Daniel is only able to observe and offer advice, like an Angel does.

Celeborn
19th January 2007, 11:20 PM
I loved the last episode of the show, where we discover that lots of people are leaping about naturally, after which Sam no longer needs the quantum computer to leap and can even direct where he is going to leap to.

LightMan
20th January 2007, 02:13 PM
That would've been an interesting way to continue the series like it was planned to do in season 6 until Universal pulled the plug. Although I think Mirror Image is a good episode and would've made a fantastic season-ender, it was not the best way to end the series and it was depressing with the "Sam never made it home" card - give the guy a break, bring him home for god sake. Anyway, I hope they make the Bold Leap Forward TV series and correct this error.