PDA

View Full Version : Two birds in the hand and one in the bush- footage now

Beekeeper
29th September 2006, 11:04 PM
My husband recently brought in a baby magpie that had tumbled from her nest in a windstorm. The first evening we had her was quite stressful as we had to convince her to open her beak so we could feed her. That night I had the inevitable anxiety dreams but, just before I awoke, I dreamt I'd gone upstairs to her box, opened it and found two baby magpies instead of one.

We knew her parents were nearby and we put her outside (at much personal risk, may I add :D ) each afternoon so they could see she was okay. We'd rung for information about if we could somehow give the baby back to her parents (to me, she seemed depressed) and were told we could make her a nest and put her as high up in the original tree as possible.

Eventually, using binoculars, we located their tree and quickly ascertained that there was still a baby in the nest and another that had also tumbled out and was being support by a lower canopy in the Norfolk pine.

Yesterday evening, in a nice little nesting box my woodwork teacher husband had made, we put her back in her tree. Then, we worried about her (as surrogate parents do).

This morning, there on the ground not far from the original spot we found her, was a baby magpie. We immediately dressed and rushed out to save her. But it wasn't her. It was her sibling, as I suspected it would be. We knew as soon as we got closer. He was much scrawnier and didn't know us and he was impossible to feed (she'd already worked feeding mechanics out*). Besides, she was still happy on her branch.

He'll be joining her in her box shortly. We'll be donning bicycle helmets before the feat, no doubt. The parents have been for a visit on our back balcony where he's safely stored in a pen hubby knocked up. They got a good feed and did the groceries for the kids while they were at it.

Those predictive dreams are great! 8)
*If you ever get a chance to feed a baby bird, do it.

Beekeeper
3rd October 2006, 09:10 PM
Now for an update.

Syd, the original bird was back out of the tree two days ago and rejoined our family. She's in the pen on our back balcony.

The third baby, Del, by far the largest and most dominant, joined us yesterday. She's the closest to flying. I guess they'll all be flying soon but their tails need to grow a bit.

Ben, remains safely back in his tree. We can't spot him but his parents keep taking food to him.

Each bird is surprisingly distinctive and none of us have trouble telling which is which. Their personalities are so different. They even each have different voices!

If you want to see footage...
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/Beekeeper2006/?action=view&current=MAGPIES.flv

Beekeeper
5th October 2006, 10:07 AM
Today, a dear old neighbour dropped by to tell us that Ben was in her neighbour's yard. Her neighbour was afraid her cat would get him and she didn't know what to do. Hubby to the rescue.

When you see Ben next to his siblings, he is such a runt!

So, now the whole brood (Syd, del and Ben) resides on our back balcony. Easier for mum.

It's like having a nature documentary going on beyond the glass door. We're learning so much about nestlings! They're completely enchanting little creatures.

CFTraveler
5th October 2006, 01:19 PM
I swear to God that your video brought tears to my eyes. God Bless you for sharing it!

Beekeeper
5th October 2006, 10:09 PM
:D You're just a soft mushy one, CF :D
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/Beekeeper2006/DelSydandBen.jpg

Beekeeper
9th October 2006, 03:28 AM
Update:

A couple of days ago, Syd flew up onto a neighbour's roof. She tried to come back but was swooped by a bush wattle bird and diverted from her course. She roosted the night in one of our trees, not far from the balcony.

The next day we found her on the ground in the park and carried her back. She eventually flew off again and is getting quite good at it. She's been hanging around in various trees and on our roof and her parents continue to feed and protect her.

The other babies are doing well, though mum has been bringing Ben strange things to eat along with the usual fare of worms and lizards: a piece of string and some bark. I hope she knows what she's doing.

Beekeeper
9th October 2006, 10:05 AM
Del flew off this afternoon. We don't know where she's gone or even if her parents know.

Beekeeper
12th October 2006, 07:44 AM
As of today, all of our babies are gone. :) :(

Beekeeper
12th October 2006, 08:52 AM
My husband was just feeding our neighbour's dog. He found Ben's little body in the backyard. Heartbreaking.

It's a day later and I'm happy to report we've finally seen Del and Syd together. Their father warns them when we approach and they shoot straight for the tree. They fly perfectly now. Their mum (mom) came to the window and pecked for our attention because we hadn't left any meat out.

I'm done now.

journyman161
6th November 2006, 11:07 PM
Lovely... made my day. I love magpies.

did you know if you make a clucking noise with your tongue as you walk near even wild ones, they will sit & watch you walk by even as close as a metre?

Their carolling in the dawn chorus is a pleasure each day, even in the suburbs of Melbourne.

Beekeeper
7th November 2006, 07:01 AM
Kindred spirit, Journeyman, we've just now come in off the deck because we were listening to one of the babies sitting in the drizzling rain and singing to itself. Ben, who died, was the first to sing, though he was last with everything else. I considered him the artistic one.

The family comes to be fed several times a day. Syd will come onto the deck, like her mother, but Del keeps her distance, like her dad. They seem to be paired that way.

They come more often when it rains because it's harder to get lizards. They must have been hungry today because, when I got home from work, three of them were waiting on the deck and Dad and Syd made such a noise. :D

I must try the clucking noise. :D