PDA

View Full Version : Twin Peaks

MK1127
7th October 2006, 08:01 PM
I would highly recommend the TV series 'Twin Peaks' by David Lynch. The show was cancelled into the second season, so it ends a bit abruptly, but is still an excellent series. Watch it if you can find it.

enoch
9th October 2006, 02:51 PM
teehee...when I was at high school I used to bike round to a mate's house every tuesday night and sit in his bedroom watching twin peaks. After that we'd write short stories aping Lynch's non-linear style. My english grades went real low for a few months :lol: Teachers! They need art spoon-fed to them :lol: In fact, one of my fave films is Eraserhead. have you seen that? A must-have Lynch film imo. I got out-voted at ebay on the original, uncut video collection of twin peaks a couple of years back :cry:

edi
23rd November 2006, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I was a teeneger too when Twin Peaks was popular. I know I took this serial very much 'for real', which caused me some trouble because I was afraid to look in the mirror for a while.

The scene when Bob is dancing around the fire in the middle of some swamp was the scarriest. I did not see it as horror, but as a regular soap-opera, that's why it freaked me out. In fact, someone once said Twin Peaks was among the first serials that mixed genres of different kinds (horror, soap opera, drama, thriller, criminal investigation...) on purpose, and that's why it had this element of surprise.
I'm sure if I watch it today I wouldn't be half as afraid.
The mystery behind the story was just so unbelievable; so complicated, so realistic. In a way it made no sense, following the same pattern I recognised about the world, the future, the good stuff that made no sense either.
Why would a poplular beautiful young girl be leading a secret life, one where she could express her unhappiness. What is there for her to be unhappy about?
What's worse, she had every reason to feel this way, because her unhappiness was part of something bigger, darker, but hidden from the eyes of the public.
And how do you go about investingating ritual murders of innocent people, is everyone else gulity because they allowed murder to happen, or is everyone else guilty because if they were innocent they would be dead too?
In the end there is no explanation, there's just theathre-like relief about being happy to be alive. But purpose of the rituals is just to deceive us and take us futher from the truth, to play with our feelings and construct a scenery, a lodge for us to watch the world from.

Tragedy, in the Aristotelean tradition, serves the purpose of purging the soul of the "fear and pity" which most of us carry around (Aristotle called this catharsis ).

It is important to understand that drama began in the Greek world as a form of religious ritual;

http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/GREECE/DRAMA.HTM

Korpo
6th April 2008, 08:29 AM
I have the gold box of all episodes now, and the series is amazing. One of the amazing things is the writers' knowledge about esoteric and other borderline stuff - OBE, NDE, visions, possession, shadow self, abduction, Project Bluebook, a diagnosis of schizophrenia which turns into a "friendly possession" if the medication is withheld.

Oh, and David Duchovny as a cross-dressing DEA agent "Dennis/Denise". :lol: He must have started X-Files soon afterward. Think it was what recommended him for the part? ;)

Lynch has a remarkable style in observing things, getting closer and closer to his subject until it seems bizarre and all the little paradox things about humans come up to the surface.

Oliver

Stinkerbell
6th April 2008, 10:20 AM
All-time favourite TV show.

I was a teenager too, when it was playing, and my sister and I were completely obsessed with it. We'd stay up late to watch it and get all deliciously creeped out by it. (And sit up fantasizing about Special Agent Cooper, but that's another topic..... :D )

It struck a chord, that's for sure.

In NZ they took it off the air part way through the series, because it wasn't rating well. Bastards! I had to wait until it came out on video to find out what happened in the end..... :x unbearable.

My fave was the creepy dad character. ("Mares eat oats, and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy.......")

brrrrrrrrrrrrr.... David Lynch - I love him.

Man, I wish there was more daring TV being made like that now. All we have is Sex in the City and Desperate Housewives... the horror....