PDA

View Full Version : Paranormal terms-lets widen our knowledge

chips
9th October 2006, 11:20 PM
Hello. i thought it would be good if we started a kind of dictionary of paranormal terms, so that we can expand our knowledge of these kinds of things. so i'll add as much terms as i can remember, and then you copy and repost it if you know any other paranormal terms. i did not take the time to put them in order because i was in a hurry when i did this. so add any terms if you like, and feel free to make any little corrections.

1.Agent- A person who is the focus for poltergeist activity. They are the cause for the paranormal activity.

2.Angel- a holy and divine being believed to be a messenger of God.

3.Apport- An object that gets mysteriously moved to another location. It is believed, by some people, to have been moved by spirits. A few of these have been reported to have appeared during a seance. these are also knows as "spirit gifts."

4.astral-"non-physical."

5.astral projection- the ability to project ones astral body into the astral dimensions.

6.astral body- the body you use when you are in the astral dimensions and you go through astral projection.

7.astral dimension- this is a world where all imagination materializes. the power of the mind is the only thing that can control the environment. spirits reside in these dimensions. the astral body goes here.

4.Aura- Electromagnetic field. This is thought to have been generated by the 7 major energy centers (chakras). These can be seen an blobs of colors, representing emotions and personalities.

5.clairvoyance- clairvoyance means "clear-seeing". it is the ability to "see" into the astral dimensions.

6.clairaudience- the ability to "hear" into the astral dimensions.

7.clairsentience- the ability to "sense" things in the astral dimensions.

5.psi-psychic energy.

6.psion- a person who is a practitioner of psionics.

7.psionics- "psychic stuff."

8.psionic shield- a shield made up of psychic energy. it is normally used to protect the psion of psychic attacks.

8. Psychic- a person who has "mastered" a psychic ability.

9.psychic vampire- a psion who has the natural ability to psychically absorb another persons energy for their own well being.

10.healer-someone who uses psychic energy to heal ones aura,energy body, soul, or mind.

11. dreamwalking-the ability to "walk" into someones dream. a strong telepathic connection is needed for this.

12.telepathy- the ability to recieve information from someones mind through psychic means.

13.empathy- the ability to "sense" someones emotions through psychic means. it is different from telepathy because it uses a different chakra.

14.psychometry- the ability to sense vibrations in an object, and what vibrations have been exposed to it.

15. witness- an object used for healing. example: your aunt is sick. so you want to send her healing energy. then you grab one of her pictures and use it to as an "energy link." the witness is her picture. its an object from the person you are trying to heal.

16.psi-ball-a ball made up of psi.

17.psi-construct- any object made up of psi.

18.thought form- a being made up of psi. the tibbetans called these "tulpas." these have aso been reffered to as egregors, and servitors. each thought form has a certain destiny to fulfill.

19.telekinesis- the ability to move an object using psi.

20. seance- a ritual-like meeting where a group of people try to summon a spirit.

21.spirit-a soul.

22.ghost- a spirit whos stuck in a dimension thats very close to the physical dimension. lots of times ghosts are stuck in reality fluctuations and they dont know they are dead.

23.recorded ghost- an energy that has been imprinted in an object or place. these ghost-like beings do the same thing over and over again. these are not entities and do NOT have a mind of their own. they are jsut simply leftover energy of a traumatic event.

24.psychokinesis- the ability to affect matter through psychical means.

25.micro-psychokinesis- the ability to make a certain event happen through psychic means. example: a dice roll, gambling.

CFTraveler
9th October 2006, 11:39 PM
I have issues with at least two of the terms-

1.Agent- A person who is the focus for poltergeist activity. They are the cause for the paranormal activity. This definition, although I agree with it, has been the subject of some debate. I respectfully suggest that it be worded differently: " A person that may be the focus for poltergeist activity. Some would suggest the agent may be the cause for the activity."
Another one:

4.astral-"non-physical." I deeply disagree with this- I would say " astral: term describing the energetic aspect/s of existence- the name means 'of the stars', a term theosophy borrowed from previous Hindu philosophy describing clairvoyant interpretation of the energy body" The reason that I particularly take issue with the term nonphysical is that energy is physical- it is the most fundamental physical characteristic of all matter. Just because it is not always perceived by the senses doesn't mean it's not physical. Remember that the ideas of physicality are based on old (even ancient) theories about the universe.
Other than these, I like the rest.

10th October 2006, 01:41 AM
I don't think the defintion for "psi" is quite right. "Psi" is an abbreviated term for "Psychokinesis" or "Telekinesis" (more commonly known as PK), which is the ability of the mind to affect matter. Allthough "psi" is a form of energy, the defintion given just doesn't seem to cover it. I'll probably have to eat my words, but I'm going to look into it for my own lousy memory. :D

I'm not sure this forum is a good place for this thread. To me, this thread seems a lot more general and doesn't address mysticism specifically. I think it would fit better in the "Psychic and Spiritual Development and Experiences" forum. I think it would get more viewing and posts in that forum. Any thoughts on that?

10th October 2006, 01:49 AM
Try to abbreviate this: :lol: :wink:
"B. P. Wiesner and Robert H. Thouless first proposed the term "psi" in 1942 as a more general term to include both extrasensory perception and psychokinesis. The original terminology proposal divided psi into psi-gamma, for cases of perception, and psi-kappa, for cases of action. These terms were later modified into "passive psi" and "active psi". [1] [2] Later, Joseph W. Campbell proposed the term "psionics", from psi (psyche) + electronics (machine), which implied that the powers of the mind could be made to work reliably. This is based on radionics field of science. The u.k.a.c.o group was the first one who developed the idea of psionics but was turned down by the government due of lack in scientific approach. psionics was also can be called "a quasi-electronics device". psionics in terms of "the game" and "paranormal" was developed and spread on the internet by supporters of fictional psionics. while scientist and radiologist defines psionics as the science of research in development of the machine that communicates data (electromagnetic spectrum or EMS) to lessen the gap between science and paranormal. [3]"
From Wikipedia

10th October 2006, 01:54 AM
The definition for "aura" doesn't seem quite right, either. Aunt Clair would be a good one to go to for a comprehensive "aura" definition. "Blobs of color" isn't quite how I would describe what I see, but it gave me a good chuckle. Very technical term, there, "blobs". I love it. :lol:

Psychometry...as well as to experience psychic visions, emotions, feelings, etc. that relate to the person who owned/used the object. Or, something like that.

Recorded ghost - also known as a "haunting" in the parapsychology field.

Psychokinesis and Telekinesis are the same thing, according to the parapsychology field.

Rayson
10th October 2006, 03:21 AM
PHG- while I agree with you that psi is a bad term to use for energy, I've found more than a few sites that define it as such.
For instance : http://www.psipog.net/show.php?cmd=wp&id=25 is a very good site, but calls energy psi. While I love to say to each their own, divisive language is not helpful for unifying knowledge.

That said- I like the idea of this thread. May I also point out/suggest the GOM wiki, which has been attempting to do the same as above, but also adds more of an article behind the definition
[link didn't work, maybe try to search GomWiki]

10th October 2006, 03:51 AM
Rayson, while I agree that divisive terminology isn't terribly helpful in the long run, we are stuck with it. I am educated in the field of Parapsychology, which is the basis for my use of the terms. There are as many websites on the net using the terms both ways, that I don't think that is an indicator of what is correct. Anyone can create a website and define anything they want any way they want. When considering a defintion, I look to professionals in each particular field to understand meaning. Traditionally, words like "psi", telekinesis, remote viewing, etc. have been used by the parapsychology field which studies them, while terms like clairvoyance, psychic vampires, and thought forms are more traditionally used by mystics and spiritualists, and journeying and totem or power animals are typical of shamans. Not to mention Eastern religion terminology using Chi, Ki, and Prana as terms describing life force, which seems to me a much larger term than psi. Of course, there is a huge overlap in term use by all. So, as you can see, it will be very difficult for there to be a consensus in the defintion of metaphysical terms. Perhaps, various definitions could be utilized where appropriate, with an explanation of which group uses that specific defintion. That would be a broader and, in my opinion, more useful way of defining terms, respecting all fields of metaphysics and their particular use of terms.

10th October 2006, 04:04 AM
PHG- while I agree with you that psi is a bad term to use for energy, I've found more than a few sites that define it as such.
For instance : http://www.psipog.net/show.php?cmd=wp&id=25 is a very good site, but calls energy psi. While I love to say to each their own, divisive language is not helpful for unifying knowledge.

That said- I like the idea of this thread. May I also point out/suggest the GOM wiki, which has been attempting to do the same as above, but also adds more of an article behind the definition
[broken link]

May I point out that if there are multiple definitions of a term, we need not argue about it but simply accept the fact that there are multiple definitions. It can be put into the wiki as such as well.

Rayson
10th October 2006, 04:55 AM
No one's arguing. But... if we have an opportunity to simplify, it's probably prudent to do so, as lack of understanding is already an issue in our "realm" of thinking, and adding extra difficulty isn't suggested.
BUT- given that the term does seem to be in use- yes- it would be sensible to make sure that all definitions of the term are included. And then perhaps- we can be a bit like Robert and try and edge people towards a more unified vocabulary.

enoch
10th October 2006, 06:53 PM
infinite point of consciousness

chips
14th October 2006, 06:21 AM
i knew that when i put up that dictionary, id get alot of debates about my definitions. but thats why i posted it. i want you guys to copy the whole dictionary and re-post it in this forum and put in YOUR defintion that you think is better then mine (more specific). i say that astral means non-physical because in my experience, it is non-physical. when beginners ask me what the term "Astral" means, the best way ive found to explain it is by saying it means "non-physical." i dont believe anything is really non-physical, for example, we probably seem non-physical to spirits, and they seem non-physical to us. astral dimension/non-physical dimension, astral projection/non-physical projection, astral entity/non-physical entity, astral attack/non-physical attack. that was just the best definition i could come up with. i urge you to change my simple definition. the main point of the dictionary is for every one to make small changes to the dictionary so that we can all have a good set of paranormal terms to look at. i want all of us to widen our knowledge, and for that, we cannot blindly believe only my terms, i want you all to debate the dictionary, and make your changes on it, and copy and repost it on this forum. we have to have different viewpoints.

enoch
14th October 2006, 01:21 PM
psi is a blanket term.

chips
14th October 2006, 03:00 PM
psi is a blanket term.
blanket term? do you mean that it has more than one definition.

enoch
14th October 2006, 06:41 PM
My dictionary of mind, body and spirit (Eileen campbell and JH Brennan) says, "Psi is an umbrella term used by parapsychologists to decribe paranormal phenomena such as esp."

okay - so maybe not a blanket, but an umbrella! :P

Interesting - I'm reading a paragraph here about Dion Fortune's nasty astral fight with a gigantic cat. :(

chips
23rd October 2006, 01:34 AM
Psychokinesis and Telekinesis are the same thing, according to the parapsychology field.
psychokinesis and telekinesis are not the same thing. telekinesis is more specific. telekinesis is the ability to "move" matter by only using the power of the mind. psychokinesis is the ability to make some kind of change to matter using only the power of the mind. psychokinesis is more of a catagory, or an umbrella term. telekinesis falls under the catagory of psychokinesis. and so would cryokinesis, and pyrokinesis. for example, i heard about a story of a lady who had a very strange house. strange faces would appear on the wooden parts of her house. they seemed to have been burned in. but everybody noticed that when this lady got sick and unhealthy, the faces would still appear, but they would be lighter. and when she would be happy and energetic, they would appear very strongly, and with more detail. they then concluded that she was unintentionally using psychokinesis. it was a psychokinetic affect.