PDA

View Full Version : The Holographic Universe

enoch
1st November 2006, 03:22 PM
Hawkings believed that matter or 'information' was 'blinked out' of existence when it entered a black hole. But he was confused about this because it defies a law of physics - that of conservation. To counter this, another theory claimed that information escapes the disintegrating black hole and is eventually filtered back into the universe (which would explain Hawkings radiation). But, alas, this also breaks another rule of physics. If information were to filter back into space it would have to travel faster than light speed to escape being swallowed by the crushing gravity of the singularity.

Then Julian Malcadena (a relatively unknown physicist) came along and set Hawking's mind straight. His theory is that of the holographic universe. A copy of everything (using string theory) exists at the boundary of the universe (call it an elter-ego if you will).

Physicists (for now) are willing to accept this theory and Hawking's Radiation is saved because it turns out to be a copy of the information falling into the hole. The info is radiated back into space and both scenarios are covered.

I've outlined this theory, because that's all I can do. I don't understand any more.

In nutshell (according to physics) we're a hologram. A laser copy if you will, of quantum events taking place at the edge of the universe.

Does anyone know any more about this theory? or it's implications?

oath
1st November 2006, 03:59 PM
The theory is that information is lost through a black whole (information being the componets of the matter in question, to varying combinations of its ... molecular biology). The theory that disproves is the one of parallel universes. Because in that universe there would be no black hole, hence no lost information. Steven hawking apparently announced that he was wrong all along, but he did it in a very peculiar way, almost as if he was... mad or something. idk i hate to say that about the guy but it was... insane the way he came up and said it.

enoch
1st November 2006, 08:09 PM
He had a bet with another physicist that his theory was correct. They bet an encyclopedia of each man's choosing. When he came to accept Malcadena's theory he presented the physicist with an encyclopedia of baseball at a conference in Ireland. Far from mad I'd consider a very humble act in light of how fiercely they hang onto their theories.

Does anyone know the quantum ins and outs of the holographic universe?

journyman161
2nd November 2006, 01:51 AM
I've been working through this idea for a while & know a little - some of it is here (http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?t=3739)

I'm at work right now so can't spend much time but I'll come back...

There is hard evidence and math for holographic theory.

enoch
2nd November 2006, 07:03 PM
Cool, thanks Journyman. :wink:

2nd November 2006, 08:59 PM
There's a book called the "Holographic Universe", by Michael Talbot, that is quite interesting. I got about 3/4 through it a couple of years ago, and now can't remember a thing about it. Those synapses must have decayed through non-use. :shock:

enoch
3rd November 2006, 02:24 PM
New Scientist magazine (28th oct 2006) reports that it's such a mathematically precise theory that physicists are willing to accept it. problem is when it comes to maths I kinda shy away from learning because I'm hopeless at it. But to think that we're a holograph of events happening on the boundary of the universe is pretty exciting. There's another me out there :lol: One's enough (or so my wife tells me). There are two phg casts waggling about in the universe. :twisted:

journyman161
3rd November 2006, 11:45 PM
Ah no, the one out there at the edge IS you. In the hologram there is no universe - it is all at the edge & we live in it, as if Princess Leia from the Star Wars hologram could be self-aware but still not see Luke Skywalker outside the holo.

Think of it as a 3D movie (to the actors) with the actors aware of what is going on in the movie but unable to even get a glimpse of the audience or the theatre. (Except in perhaps exceptional circumstances... (AP?)

Now if we are also holograms as suggested by research, then maybe consciousness is the 'laser' that activates the extra dimensions from the holo & makes it all real? We might be the 'actors' inserted in to the movie by the real beings outside it to live & learn & reach the end of our roles & hand the knowledge over to the audience

enoch
4th November 2006, 12:27 PM
I quote from New Scientist: "...our universe might be something of a grand illusion - an enormous cosmic hologram." To quote the whole article would be tedious but the general gist is that black hole evaporation corresponds to quntum particles interacting on this boundary. It ges on to mention that the boundary doesn't just apply to the edge of the universe but a boundary is created anywhere where acceleration occurs, e.g: the eaerth, milky way, etc. It even applies to someone running in that there would be regions of space-time where light would never reach you if you continued to speed up. One of the most intriguing possibilities is that space-time itself is accelerating, which creates a boundary (or horizon) so it may be possible to decode what lies beyond our universe by decoding its emissions.

:roll: :shock: :lol:

journyman161
5th November 2006, 07:03 AM
The 'bleeding' of information from black holes is fairly new & speculative, more an idea of what may be behind the plumes of material or energy that apparently exit from the poles of black holes. If nothing can escape them, what are the plumes we see?

Quantum tunneling was one suggestion for how information may be re-entering the Universe, thus conserving the idea that information cannot be destroyed.

Hawking suggested recently that the solution is the existence of the multiverse & while I am unsure of the depths of his idea, it seems to be along the line that in an alternate universe, the black hole will not be there & thus the information will not be destroyed - that the universe without the BH will remain after the one with it passes on.

A problem for us with this is based on two bits of information.

1. We are finding BH's in virtually every galaxy we look at & we surmise that the ones where we don't see them, the BH system has gone 'passive' - this is based on finding BH's in galaxies we thought didn't have them, because we've found stars in the centre doing impossible speeds in impossible orbits.

A passive black hole system is one in which all the material close enough to be affected by the gravitational pull of the hole has been absorbed & the nearby mass is either too distant or moving too fast to be captured.

2. Newest theories & findings are that we now have a very good idea how galaxies form, & it appears they are caused by black hole formation. This comes from the interesting observation that, unlike our solar system where the outer planets move slower around the sun than the closer ones, the stars in the outer disk of the galaxies we're looking at are moving at the same speed as those in the centre.

It would seem that galaxies are formed from the primeval gas clouds when a Black Hole is formed triggering collapse of local density pockets into stars.

The evidence for a holographic plenum is from math & information theory - math tells us the possible density of information around a Black Hole (the Event Horizon) is measured in 2 dimensions - it can't be three because either that would mean part of it is not in the densest state (closest level) or it would be inside the Event Horizon.

If you run the math for how densely you can pack information into space, the math is 3D up to a point, then it 'collapses' out into 2D. If you imagine 3D computer chips being the info storage, you can add more & more to increase the info storage - the point where the math collapses is the point where the mass of computer chips causes a mass collapse into a black hole.

The interesting questions (for me at least) come when we add in the tidbit that the mind may also be a hologram. That we are holograms living within a holograph.

Holograms have some interesting properties, including what I think of as iteration - like a fractal, it 'repeats' itself no matter how small a slice of it you take. This opens up the possiblity that, if we are 'chips off the old block' we actually iterate the higher being in our selves.

What is a hologram? Well, the way we make them is to shine a number of lasers on a scene scene & record the output. To recreate the scene you shine one laser onto it & up comes the scene.

My wondering is that maybe consciousness is the 'laser' required to turn the holo into a scene; somehow consciousness operates to 'entangle' the potential cosmos & produce the 'reality' within which it can then perform & learn. This would allow for 'reality' being individual to the being & also explain why beings can share a reality

enoch
5th November 2006, 11:14 AM
That a good read, thanks for sharing that journyman. Your holographic consciousness idea is pretty convincing aswell. I think I'm gonna need to go away and learn more about this. Could you recommend any books?

journyman161
5th November 2006, 10:13 PM
I got most of my info from the articles in Scientific American & Nature magazines, articles detailed by the researchers as they found them. I find these interesting because they present the information in specific ways - an overall statement about what is found, followed by detailed explanations (including some too complex for me) as well as the conclusions of the researchers (sometimes decidedly suspect or opinionated)

But "The Holographic Universe" By Michael Talbot, published by HarperPerennial/HarperCollins, ISBN 0-06-092258-3 is an excellent primer for it all.

From the Intro to the book...

In the movie Star Wars, Luke Skywalker's adventure begins when a beam of light shoots out of the robot Artoo Detoo and projects a miniature three-dimensional image of Princess Leia. Luke watches spellbound as the ghostly sculpture of light begs for someone named Obi-wan Kenobi to come to her assistance. The image is a hologram, a three-dimensional picture made with the aid of a laser, and the technological magic required to make such images is remarkable. But what is even more astounding is that some scientists are beginning to believe the universe itself is a kind of giant hologram, a splendidly detailed illusion no more or less real than the image of Princess Leia that starts Luke on his quest.

Put another way, there is evidence to suggest that our world and everything in it -- from snowflakes to maple trees to falling stars and spinning electrons -- are also only ghostly images, projections from a level of reality so beyond our own it is literally beyond both space and time.

The main architects of this astonishing idea are two of the world's most eminent thinkers: University of London physicist David Bohm, a protege of Einstein's and one of the world's most respected quantum physicists; and Karl Pribram, a neurophysiologist at Stanford University and author of the classic neuropsychological textbook Languages of the Brain. Intriguingly, Bohm and Pribram arrived at their conclusions independently and while working from two very different directions. Bohm became convinced of the universe's holographic nature only after years of dissatisfaction with standard theories' inability to explain all of the phenomena encountered in quantum physics. Pribram became convinced because of the failure of standard theories of the brain to explain various neurophysiological puzzles.

However, after arriving at their views, Bohm and Pribram quickly realized the holographic model explained a number of other mysteries as well, including the apparent inability of any theory, no matter how comprehensive, ever to account for all the phenomena encountered in nature; the ability of individuals with- hearing in only one ear to determine the direction from which a sound originates; and our ability to recognize the face of someone we have not seen for many years even if that person has changed considerably in the interim.

But the most staggering thing about the holographic model was that it suddenly made sense of a wide range of phenomena so elusive they generally have been categorized outside the province of scientific understanding. These include telepathy, precognition, mystical feelings of oneness with the universe, and even psychokinesis, or the ability of the mind to move physical objects without anyone touching them.

Indeed, it quickly became apparent to the ever growing number of scientists who came to embrace the holographic model that it helped explain virtually all paranormal and mystical experiences, and in the last half-dozen years or so it has continued to galvanize researchers and shed light on an increasing number of previously inexplicable phenomena. For example:

* In 1980 University of Connecticut psychologist Dr. Kenneth Ring proposed that near-death experiences could be explained by the holographic model. Ring, who is president of the International Association for Near-Death Studies, believes such experiences, as well as death itself, are really nothing more than the shifting of a person's consciousness from one level of the hologram of reality to another.

* In 1985 Dr. Stanislav Grof, chief of psychiatric research at the Maryland Psychiatric Research Center and an assistant professor of psychiatry at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, published a book in which he concluded that existing neurophysiological models of the brain are inadequate and only a holographic model can explain such things as archetypal experiences, encounters with the collective unconscious, and other unusual phenomena experienced during altered states of consciousness.

* At the 1987 annual meeting of the Association for the Study of Dreams held in Washington, D.C., physicist Fred Alan Wolf delivered a talk in which he asserted that the holographic model explains lucid dreams (unusually vivid dreams in which the dreamer realizes he or she is awake). Wolf believes such dreams are actually visits to parallel realities, and the holographic model will ultimately allow us to develop a "physics of consciousness" which will enable us to begin to explore more fully these other-dimensional levels of existence.

* In his 1987 book entitled Synchronicity: The Bridge Between Matter and Mind, Dr. F. David Peat, a physicist at Queen's University in Canada, asserted that synchronicities (coincidences that are so unusual and so psychologically meaningful they don't seem to be the result of chance alone) can be explained by the holographic model. Peat believes such coincidences are actually "flaws in the fabric of reality." They reveal that our thought processes are much more intimately connected to the physical world than has been hitherto suspected.

enoch
7th November 2006, 11:20 PM
thanks for that, jman. Just writing my xmas wish list as we speak. hehe :lol:

journyman161
8th November 2006, 10:49 AM
Sooo... it would seem the potentiality of the cosmos is in a multi-dimensional set of possibilities, where the actuality of the Real comes about when the graph, or points thereof, become entangled & the potential collapses out into reality.

So we have points of unknown dimensional potential which, for some reason, suddenly decide to become a particular set of dimensional reality, which, as far as current theories go, for our reality at least, is 10 dimensions, but as the smallest bit of our plenum would seem to be a two-dimensional brane rolled up into a string, this suggests 11 Dimensions.

I don't have the math to query this at that level, but my interest lies in just what might be causing the collapse. Findings from other areas of science could come into play here as well as the experiences from those on site here to do with manifesting & even Psi & Astral phenomena.

For some time we've had people looking at the strangeness of experiments being influenced by the experimenter. The thought probably began with Einstein's idea about relative frames of reference, and has blossomed with the coming of Quantum theories. Particles seem to know things about each other they can't possibly know. Information seems to be on two levels; one can be explained by the exchange or transmission/reception of particles such as light or other basic quanta, but the other seems to occur instantaneously across vast distances.

The interesting thing about this is how reluctant science has been to apply the Observer/Experiment idea to itself. As far as I know, nobody looked at the possibility that the experimenters in Cold Fusion may have actually made the CF happen. The ones who followed were mostly trying to prove the original experiment wrong - that's the way science works. Someone comes up with an idea or results & everyone tries to break it. If they can't break it, we have new knowledge.

There were others who got anomalous results in the CF trials, but by that time the world of science had slammed down on the original experimenters & there are very few with the courage to stand against the kind of onslaught the mere suggestion of Cold Fusion brought on.

But, if the observer can affect Reality as mounting evidence suggests, & if the Consciousness is a hologram operating in a holographic Universe that responds to thought, then maybe, just maybe, we have our first possible chance at evidence that the Universe is a Creation of Consciousness - that an Awareness is what collapses the graph into coherence, entangling the points of potential so they become Real.

Or as Real as Holographic particles can be. The atoms that make up Princess Leia's Holo are actually photons in the Real world.

Just a thought... *grins*

enoch
9th November 2006, 04:24 PM
it's beautiful aint it. I wouldn't mind being a hologram. To think that we may be conscious of this fact has great implications.

Pathedpe
16th February 2007, 07:38 AM
here is a great quote from M. Talbot on this topic:

"...we are at heart a vibrational pattern comprised of many interacting and resonating frequencies. This finding is remarkably suggests that something holographic is going on and offers further evidence that we- like all things in a holographic universe- are ultimately a frequency phenomenon which our mind converts into various holographic forms. This also adds credence to the conclusion that our consciousness is contained, not in the brain, but in a holographic energy field that both penetrates and surrounds the physical body."

- from The Holographic Universe

CD27
2nd May 2007, 11:50 AM
Edit:

This Theory Has Been Deleted Because of Data Change and Change of Heart. Sorry For The Inconvenience This May Have Caused.

Eric Wright, Author

Triot
10th August 2007, 11:53 PM
May I add a link:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sai/hologram.html

Triot
11th August 2007, 12:05 AM
May I add a link:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sai/hologram.html

Hard solid objects or just consciousness. :roll:

Mishell
11th August 2007, 04:27 PM
To quote the link:

In a universe in which individual brains are actually indivisible portions of the greater hologram and everything is infinitely interconnected, telepathy may merely be the accessing of the holographic level.
It is obviously much easier to understand how information can travel from the mind of individual 'A' to that of individual 'B' at a far distance point and helps to understand a number of unsolved puzzles in psychology.
In particular, Stanislav Grof feels the holographic paradigm offers a model for understanding many of the baffling phenomena experienced by individuals during altered states of consciousness.

I love that science is begining to figure these things out! :D