PDA

View Full Version : Meditation Techniques & Visuals

7th November 2006, 06:17 AM
What are some of your favorite meditation techniques? If you have specific techniques for specific purposes, please share! :D Visuals too, I respond to visuals like crazy.

I guess I'm asking this because I want to inspire myself to get back into this practice and I think if I learn what others do, it might help me. :)

wjjw
7th November 2006, 08:10 AM
I practice two techniques that I believe are called “reflective” and “receptive” meditation. You might not like them, as they are not visual. An excellent book that describes many of the best aspects of meditation in my opinion is one by Michal Eastcott. I believe the title is "The Silent Path."

CFTraveler
7th November 2006, 02:19 PM
I go through a process (it may be boring to read)
First, I center myself. I do this by visualizing myself in the (chair, floor) that I'm sitting on. Then I visualize the empty space on top of my head. Then I visualize that empty space in front, back, left, and right of me. I find myself in the center (with a base.) Then I visualize the empty space underneath the floor, and see myself in the center of the universe. (This is not necessarily visual- it's more spatial-tactile, since my eyes are closed.)
After a bit of this, I imagine nothingness in front of my eyes and focus on it. If I get too many monkey thoughts I pay attention to my breathing. Depending on the time, I count, but if I don't plan to do it for a long time then just noticing it is enough.
If monkey thoughts are still an issue and I plan to do it for a while, I listen to my ear hiss.
And that's pretty much it.

7th November 2006, 04:16 PM
I practice two techniques that I believe are called “reflective” and “receptive” meditation. You might not like them, as they are not visual. An excellent book that describes many of the best aspects of meditation in my opinion is one by Michal Eastcott. I believe the title is "The Silent Path."

Could you describe these a bit?

wjjw
8th November 2006, 03:58 AM
Both are mechanisms to contact the higher self and infuse its qualities into the mind and emotions of the personality. They both start with a brief relaxation period where the body, mind, and emotions are quieted. Reflective meditation is basically taking a seed thought and focusing the mind on it. You examine it from different angles and penetrate its deeper meaning and significance. If the seed thought were a divine archetype you might reflect on ways to manifest it in different situations. Receptive meditation starts with either a seed thought, goal, or area where guidance is needed, then you clear the mind but remain in a very alert state waiting to receive guidance and insights.

This article might give you some idea. It gives references to Eastcott’s book as well as Active Meditation by Leichtman and Japikse. That is also one of the best.

http://www.esotericstudies.net/articles/way_of_meditation.htm