PDA

View Full Version : Reiki Attunements

8th November 2006, 04:28 AM
How do these work? :?

Tom
8th November 2006, 05:20 AM
Short question, short answer. It is like introducing two people to each other and having them shake hands. Then when they are acquainted they can talk to each other as often as they want. Sometimes one will initiate contact (the energy) and sometimes the other person will (the one being attuned). Reiki is often described as being aware and intelligent, and often it does flow through people spontaneously.

8th November 2006, 05:51 AM
Short question, short answer. It is like introducing two people to each other and having them shake hands. Then when they are acquainted they can talk to each other as often as they want. Sometimes one will initiate contact (the energy) and sometimes the other person will (the one being attuned). Reiki is often described as being aware and intelligent, and often it does flow through people spontaneously.

Thanks Tom. :)

I'm wondering specifically what happens energetically to the recipient. I did a little reading on the subject, and, most sites say that a kind of energy pattern is placed around the recipient that opens up energy channels and activates or opens the heart, palm and crown chakras. Is that correct or do you have a different understanding?

Is it considered more invasive than a Reiki treatment in that it seems (as I understand it - which may not be correct) to directly alter a person's energy body? A Reiki treatment, on the other hand, is much less invasive and only goes where it needs to go, relying on it's own type of intelligence?

Tom
8th November 2006, 07:02 AM
As long as I say that an attunement is like an introduction, I'm still within the bounds of what is popularly considered correct. Now we're crossing beyond what is considered politically correct. It is said that once you have the attunement, you don't ever need to repeat it and what has been done can't be undone. If it were really about opening chakras and channels, they could obviously be closed again and the attunement undone. If it were really about the placement of symbols then having them removed would be easily accomplished. None of that is really true, but it is as good of a way as any to describe the process. No, for an attunement to work you have to intend to receive it and attentive during the process. That way you get an intense burst of the energy and you know how it feels and you can call it again based on the memory of the feeling. Getting an attunement is like learning your multiplication tables. Even if you don't multiply for years, you might have to think about it but you know it because it is long term memory. The attunement process sets a strong impression directly in your mind and when it takes that just means that learning to use reiki has gone into your long term memory and you can't forget it. It is a skill. You get better at it with practice.

wstein
8th November 2006, 07:03 AM
The symbols set up energetic structures in the person being attuned which are favorable for transfer of certain 'forms' of energy. Its vaguely like a ward where physical/energetic structures are created and become more or less permanent. In concept, not unlike calling the cable company to add a new channel to your TV reception.

In another frame of reference, thought forms for transferring certain energies are manifest in the person being attuned.

Note, as such they are not very easy to remove (think tattoo).

Specific symbols select for specific energies. Reike symbols are mostly about healing type stuff.

Note that there are vast libraries of symbols are available from other arts. Others can be implanted in the same way. WARNING, this is not something to play with casually as they are not easy to remove and combinations can have unintended side-effects.

sash
8th November 2006, 09:49 AM
wstein. That's interesting, do you personally stay away from types of systems that use these 'symbols' then?
I had my first reiki initiation a few months ago and the energetic effects were very intense. However I did not feel this impede on my ability to do other types of energy work. I can see as you say that it could be dangerous 'mixing' a whole bunch of symbols, but I'm not sure to what extent receiving reiki symbols limits you to healing just using reiki or not.

star
8th November 2006, 02:38 PM
I found it easy to remove the attunemnts themselves. I've not seen any symbols or had anyone ever see any symbols on me either.\

Niether has it impeded any of my other energy work.

But I guess its all up to the abilities of the person. If you can't do something you just can't aye?

Tom
8th November 2006, 06:00 PM
In my opinion the reason why reiki symbols are so hard to remove from the aura and chakras is because they aren't actually lodged in place that way. Reiki symbols are not like books on a shelf to be added and removed. It makes as much sense to try to remove reiki symbols as it does letters of the alphabet from the mind of a typical literate adult. Every time a letter, number, or reiki symbol is used it is created new in that moment. If you have a reiki symbol you don't want anymore all you have to do is to stop using it and the rule "use it or lose it" takes over as with any other information.

wstein
9th November 2006, 08:08 AM
I do avoid systems using fixed symbols.

-------------------------------------------------

The Reiki symbols are pretty persistent. Once implanted, the stay for at least years, even with no use (personally verified). I have heard personal stories of much longer (unverified). Like a ward they can be inactive for long periods without loosing functionality. Its surprising how many people get Reiki attunements but never actually use them.

Its not too difficult to implant a tattoo but fairly hard to remove it. Normally they do not fade even on dead people (AKA Egyptian mummies).

Can't say definitively how they are attached as I have not been present at the actual procedure.

Tom
9th November 2006, 08:33 AM
Given that I have been present to watch attunements being done, and that I have received attunements in person and at a distance, and that I have given attunements in person and at a distance, I'd say that I am familiar with the processes involved. There was also an attempt made after my second attunement to Usui Reiki to forcibly remove the symbols without my consent. I had been worried for a while that the attempt may have succeeded. It even seemed for a while that my ability to use reiki was completely gone for a time. When I went back to my teacher he explained that it did not work that way and that the attunements could not be un-done. I felt better and could suddenly use my reiki again better than ever before. My experiences have continued well past that point and cover a variety of circumstances and have led me to believe that the reason why reiki symbols are so hard to remove from the aura and chakras is because they aren't there. You can't take something away unless it is present. Each time a reiki symbol is invoked it is created new. The process of trying to remove the symbol would continue to create thought-form copies of the symbol, so it would seem that the symbol is continuously present and difficult to remove. What are you trying to remove? The symbol "cho ku rei"? Oh, there goes another copy. Is the symbol "cho ku rei" present still? Yes, there goes another copy. Is the symbol "cho ku rei" gone yet? Another copy. Guess it is still there.

orygbus
9th November 2006, 10:44 PM
Some Reiki modalities don't use symbols ie. Kundalini Reiki (theses a thread in the astral pulse forum)....symbols are used as a tool to foucus the intent....

Symbols are tought-form, the more people use it the more they add power to it, so yes it does have power, but it's not necessary to use it in reiki....therefore it's a matter of preference and or tradition....

10th November 2006, 01:52 AM
Alright guys, would you explain to me the difference between and attunement and a treatment? In plain terms?

Tom
10th November 2006, 02:13 AM
An attunement is an intense treatment which also establishes a connection to the energy that a person can connect through afterward.

wstein
10th November 2006, 06:50 AM
My experiences have continued well past that point and cover a variety of circumstances and have led me to believe that the reason why Reiki symbols are so hard to remove from the aura and chakras is because they aren't there. You can't take something away unless it is present. Each time a Reiki symbol is invoked it is created new. The process of trying to remove the symbol would continue to create thought-form copies of the symbol, so it would seem that the symbol is continuously present and difficult to remove. What are you trying to remove? The symbol "cho ku rei"? Oh, there goes another copy. Is the symbol "cho ku rei" present still? Yes, there goes another copy. Is the symbol "cho ku rei" gone yet? Another copy. Guess it is still there.

This would seem to suggest that trying to remove it via energetic approaches to be the wrong approach.

Wouldn't destroying or removing the (sourcing) thought-form prevent one from invoking new symbols?

Tom
10th November 2006, 07:07 AM
This would seem to suggest that trying to remove it via energetic approaches to be the wrong approach.

I'm not suggesting anything. That is exactly what I am saying. Remember the phrase "Don't think about purple elephants."? It is as if I'm trying to get you to forget about purple elephants by talking about them to you. The more I go on about purple elephants the harder it will be to get you to stop thinking about purple elephants. Purple elephants eating purple peanuts. Purple elephants with purple memories who never forget. Purple, purple, purple elephants. Don't think about purple elephants. Sure is hard to erase purple elephants from your memory. You keep thinking about purple elephants. The purple elephants never forget. Are you still thinking about purple elephants? Yes? Let me try harder to get you to forget purple elephants. Those purple elephants are so tenacious. I just can't get rid of the purple elephants.

Wouldn't destroying or removing the (sourcing) thought-form prevent one from invoking new symbols?

If you learn the Greek alphabet and you want to study the Russian or Japanese alphabet, does one have anything to do with the others? Same thing.

sash
10th November 2006, 07:59 AM
The main issue for me is whether it does 'clash' with other healing systems as wstein suggested. In addition, those 'side effects' of coupling two or more systems.

If learning a new energy system is equivalent to learning a new language then I would think anyone should go for it.. it can't hurt. However with healing/energy systems that would be the dilemma in learning as many as I can for me..

10th November 2006, 09:19 AM
If it were really about opening chakras and channels, they could obviously be closed again and the attunement undone.
In case anyone is interested, Robert says that it is impossible to "close" a chakra. The act of trying to close it, energetically stimulates it, thereby making it even more active. He says that all of the attempts using visualization (imagining a door closing, etc.) or energetic closing just puts more attention on it, and keeps it stimulated. Makes sense to me and explains why "closing" never worked for me. :D

Korpo
10th November 2006, 01:12 PM
I don't know about chakras, but the energy flow through what is identified as an energy gate in Taoism/acupuncture can be regulated - increased and decreased. I assume from my rather nonexistant knowledge about Reikki = Reik-Ki (Ki <=> Chi) that this should be applyable to Reikki as well.

But as I have read the Chakra/Kundalini circuit is not identical, but does overlap with the acupuncture/Qigong energy pathway network, and there is a difference if you manipulate by visualisation or by a pure non-visual, direct physical feeling.

wstein
11th November 2006, 08:04 AM
Note that totally dissimilar symbols are more likely to 'clash'. Two 'healing' type symbols are less likely to clash. Symbols like 'mental calming' and 'reverse field direction' are more likely to clash.

-----------------------

I do not know if you can COMPLETELY close a Chakra without killing yourself. It is possible to increase or decrease its effective throughput by several orders of magnitude.

-----------------------

P.S. forget the elephants, where can I get purple peanuts?

Tom
11th November 2006, 10:43 PM
Food coloring. :)

There are hundreds of reiki systems that I have been attuned to over the years. Some of them have been really good, and some of them just didn't work for me. That's why I used the ones I like and forgot about the ones which didn't. That's all I had to do. I stopped using them and now they do not intefere with the ones I like. This isn't to say that if someone gave me a manual and told me to attune them I couldn't do it. I've found that after learning a few dozen reiki systems I can pick up any manual and self-attune to any system. Ole Gabrielsen, who created Kundalini Reiki, was the one to give me the idea to try it. Still, I prefer to be attuned to a new system by another person.

monkbiker
8th December 2006, 11:18 AM
I tend to be somewhat cynical about this stuff; I don't believe everything I read or hear, but I don't completely discount it either. I give everything a fair shake and if it works out, fine. If not, I let it go and turn my attention elsewhere.

I've been reading about astral projection for a long time. I've been working on energy raising and opening / stimulating my chakras for a long time too. I haven't had a fully conscious OBE, although I've been trying for what seems like forever. I'm very interested in OBE's and am strongly desirous of having one, so I'm going to keep trying.
I get strong exit sensations but that's about it. I have Robert's books (AD and MAP). I'm not giving up but I'm not going to drive myself nuts over it either.

I had Reiki I last Sunday, 12/3/06. It was an 8 hour workshop and included an attunement and a practice session.

My understanding is that Reiki will balance the chakras and facilitate the smooth movement of chi energy throughout the chakras and the body.

I'll tell you what, throughout the workshop and over the course of the last few days while I've done Reiki on myself, I could really feel heat in my hands. It was MUCH warmer than 98.6 degrees. I can sense tingling sensations in the soles of my feet and the palms of my hands whenever I direct my attention there.

I know something's up. According to the class schedule it's going to be a few months before I'm ready for Reiki II. I'm going to keep working on it. Hopefully it'll have some positive effects with my OBE work.

I'm also listening to the Holosync CD's I got from http://www.centerpointe.com/

I really like them, and I'm sure they're having a positive effect.

monkbiker
10th December 2006, 11:42 AM
Whoaaaa!

Reiki update!

I'm dealing with a lower back injury. I've been seeing a chiropractor regularly for about 10 or 12 years, but about 3 weeks ago I hurt my back again. With the chiropractic adjustments the pain has subsided to a dull ache over the front of my right hip bone and also on the back on the same side.

Over the course of the last week I've been doing Reiki on myself either before I go to sleep or first thing in the morning when I wake up.

Twice now, something very odd has happened. I start Reiki as usual with the crown chakra and work my way down. When I got down to my hips I had a very strange sensation.

I suddenly felt a great warmth start up in my hands and "echo" around my hip. The pain in my hip and back immediately lessened, and the feeling of relief and sensation of healing was so intense that I felt light-headed and somewhat dizzy. This was immediately followed by a great sense of "loosening"; of relaxation and soothing. My internal dialogue shut right off and I went to sleep.

This was no gradual, falling asleep the way we all do every night. This was more like being put under by an anaesthesiologist! The elapsed time between moving my hands to my hips to going to sleep was literally no more than 5 minutes at the outside.

This happened on Thursday and again yesterday.

I've been working on the MAPS book for quite a while and I've also spent years monitoring myself as I fall asleep, so I know the manner in which I drop off. This falling-into-sleep experience was quite different from what usually happens. It was very much akin to what happens to me if I listen to the Holosync CD's in bed; they knock me right out all at once as I move into the deeper brain-wave states.

But this time, I wasn't listening to Holosync. It was awesome!

Sparrowhawk
16th December 2006, 12:46 PM
The main issue for me is whether it does 'clash' with other healing systems as wstein suggested. In addition, those 'side effects' of coupling two or more systems.

If learning a new energy system is equivalent to learning a new language then I would think anyone should go for it.. it can't hurt. However with healing/energy systems that would be the dilemma in learning as many as I can for me..

Bluntly; no f-ing way that it does.

I have had reiki students (I'm reiki master level practitioner) who were into several different kinds of healing/energy modalities and it works just fine with them. If someone says that it definately does not work with having reiki and other healing moalities then you can be sure that it is ignorance speaking, or that person has had a bad teacher

17th December 2006, 10:36 PM
Hi Sparrowhawk,
Everyone seems to experience these things differently. While your experiences may work for you, that doesn't necessarily mean they are a rule that applies to everyone. Since this is your first posting, may I suggest that you express your feelings in a way that says it is your opinion? And, maybe not quite so bluntly? :D

Tom
17th December 2006, 10:45 PM
Really, I think that Sparrowhawk did a very effective job of cutting several pages of nice discussion down to a matter of a couple sentences. The only problem is that the people who need the most won't be able to choke it down the way it is written.

Rayson
17th December 2006, 10:48 PM
My personal experience with Reiki is that there is a lot of misinformation out there, that is usually spread as being quite factual and true. While I value the fact that everyone has different experiences, I do think some things, when evaluated for truth, are true while some are false. Getting to the heart of these matters can be quite tricky though, and I think it is important for everyone to realize that there are a ton of factors that go into something like Reiki, and that if you really want to be able to state something as true, you need to learn about each of these factors seperate from reiki, understand them fully, and then take that knowledge and apply it to your experiences with reiki. That takes a lot of time and experience to do, and even then "facts" may be deceiving. So until then, I would personally advocate that everyone take what they hear with a grain of salt, a dash of pepper (the two do go together, no?) and probably some spices (Ray-san style), and to not go and perpetuate inaccuracies by repeating what they hear and stating that it is absolute fact.

Tom
18th December 2006, 06:43 AM
The trouble with that is that you get what you expect with reiki, and if you expect reiki systems to conflict with each other then you may as well stop at one because that is what you will get. It is a disservice to tell people that bad things will happen while strengthening the effectiveness of their thoughts in manifesting their reality.