PDA

View Full Version : Water on Mars

CFTraveler
6th December 2006, 10:57 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 96,00.html (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2490296,00.html)

landru27
7th December 2006, 02:28 AM
Awesome news!

Veles
7th December 2006, 08:25 AM
cool =)
i've seen it on the news tonight, it's quite a discovery. but does it mean there is life on Mars? lets place our bids guys ))

CFTraveler
7th December 2006, 02:01 PM
cool =)
i've seen it on the news tonight, it's quite a discovery. but does it mean there is life on Mars? lets place our bids guys )) Either now or in the past? Because in my understanding, there was some evidence (of the microbial fossil type) that indicated that there had been. However, if there is water at the moment, I think the chances of life now just went higher. (IMO, of course).

landru27
7th December 2006, 04:47 PM
Either now or in the past? Because in my understanding, there was some evidence (of the microbial fossil type) that indicated that there had been.

Your recollection is correct: In closely examining the interior of a meteorite on Earth which had originated on Mars, scientists found some microscopic structures which they concluded were the remains of a microbial form of life.

But, as with most scientific evidence, especailly evidence for a claim with such broad implications, not all scientists who examined the evidence agreed with the initial interpretation. Last I heard, that's where it was: a big "maybe".

However, if there is water at the moment, I think the chances of life now just went higher. (IMO, of course).

Oh, I'd say that a whole lot of people -- scientists and otherwise -- would agree with your opinion on that count.

Dialgo
7th December 2006, 07:10 PM
Awesome, I've always been a space freak! I still hold to my childhood hope of getting into space sometime this lifetime. Especially visiting other planets! I've been fascinated with Mars too, ever since my early childhood I've watched Nasa...the sojurner mission ect...