PDA

View Full Version : Scientific OBE Survey by the University of Manchester

Gnomad
25th August 2005, 11:48 AM
University of Manchester psychologists are launching a study on out-of-body experiences. People who claim to have had an OBE, and those who haven't, are invited to complete an online survey.

From the press release:
David Wilde, the researcher running the project, said, "There are several theories as to why people have OBEs. A common link between them is the idea that in certain circumstances the brain somehow loses touch with sensory information coming in from the body. This triggers a series of psychological mechanisms which can lead to someone having an OBE."

"In this study we aim to take the theory a stage further, by looking at the way people see and experience their bodies, and how - through perfectly ordinary psychological processes - these images and experiences may create the impression of seeing their bodies from the outside."

enoch
26th August 2005, 10:23 PM
Important work

Sachiel
27th August 2005, 12:14 AM
Very interesting, except for the fact that they fail to understand, or even listen to us talking about meeting eachother in the astral and reporting perfectly...

Though I approve. Where the heck is this survey?

knightlight
27th August 2005, 02:57 AM
I took it and its long as hell!!!!!!! Be prepared lol

Sachiel
27th August 2005, 04:08 AM
Yes, but where is it?

Chris
27th August 2005, 12:20 PM
It can be found here:

http://www.freeresponse.org/muobe2005/index.aspx

After taking the survey it is quickly apparent that they are just trying to prove that OBE is a mechanism of the body and not actually a proof of life after death, or the proof of reality being much greater than our current philosophies allow. The questions are simply concerned with body perception, and mental functioning. Which seems to be trying to gauge if people have various mental conditions (such as derealisation/depersonalisation) which might help explain OBEs, and also it seems to be leading in the direction of people hating themselves so creating fantasy constructs to escape reality.

Nothing which will aid the OBE community in any.
We can see what conclusions they reach though.

Chris
27th August 2005, 12:22 PM
Full press release:

'Out-of-body' experiences may come from within (23 August, 2005)

Psychologists at The University of Manchester are investigating the idea that out-of-body experiences, commonly thought of as paranormal phenomena, may in fact have their roots in how people perceive and experience their own bodies.

Around 10% of the population have an out-of-body experience (OBE) at some time, typically involving a sensation of floating and seeing the physical body from the outside. It isn't uncommon for people to have more than one OBE, and they may also occur as part of the wider near-death experience some report experiencing in life-threatening circumstances.

Despite the high incidence of OBEs however, there is still a great deal scientists don't know about the phenomenon.

The University of Manchester study, funded by the Portuguese Bial Foundation which supports the scientific study of the physical and spiritual nature of Man, will use an online questionnaire on body perceptions and experience to examine differences between those who have and have not experienced OBEs. The survey will also gather details on the different kinds of OBEs people have, to categorise these experiences more precisely.

David Wilde, the researcher running the project, said, "There are several theories as to why people have OBEs. A common link between them is the idea that in certain circumstances the brain somehow loses touch with sensory information coming in from the body. This triggers a series of psychological mechanisms which can lead to someone having an OBE.

"In this study we aim to take the theory a stage further, by looking at the way people see and experience their bodies, and how - through perfectly ordinary psychological processes - these images and experiences may create the impression of seeing their bodies from the outside."

The research team hopes to capture data from at least 500 members of the public from anywhere in the world. Both people who have had an OBE and those who have not are encouraged to take part.

The survey can be seen at http://www.freeresponse.org/muobe2005/index.aspx and will be linked to from parapsychology websites across the world. It will be available for the next six weeks, and a summary of the results, which should contribute substantially to psychologists' understanding of the phenomenon, will be posted to the site in the autumn.

- ENDS -

enoch
27th August 2005, 10:24 PM
um..if obe is proof of life after death then all "blind at birth" people never get to see the joys of heaven. :roll:

Chris
28th August 2005, 12:34 AM
um..if obe is proof of life after death then all "blind at birth" people never get to see the joys of heaven. :roll:

Perhaps I should re-word my original statement. Call it life after death, death after life *shrug* I don't believe in life or death, but a lot do in this place, so I choose words accordingly.
By definition, an 'out of body experience' could at least be an area where the possibility of 'life after death' could be researched, or the starting point of scientific research.

The study does not seek to understand the OBE state; it attempts to fit it to the hypotheses that it is a state/fantasy generated by a meat brain when it loses some of its input (sensory information).
It seeks not to question the hows of separate people meeting in the astral and both recounting experiences shared there, or how it is possible to view, and later recount, remote events in the RTZ. It also does not seek to explain how it is possible for waking people to see projectors in the RTZ zone (I have been seen by someone with no religious or mystical beliefs, and who knew nothing of my 'experiences'. Times and actions were perfectly matched between me and the person who saw me). It seems to ignore everything which makes many people interested in this phenomenon in the first place, everything which (just might) suggest that the OBE state involves more than an organic brain.
All I am saying is that there is so much which is unexplained with this phenomenon, so much which is denied existence by existing empirical science, and a study actioned by a UK university seeks to ignore all this and simply tries to tie it to a purely physical medium. It seems like a missed opportunity to me.

knightlight
28th August 2005, 03:09 AM
has ANYTHING been explained about this????? Its basically just a bunch of people like you and me sharing info about it. Even the leaders in OBE research and books are just guessing.

Hegemony
28th August 2005, 05:16 AM

Remember that OBE is sort of a misnomer and is not quite an NDE.

Also remember that the reason blind people don't "see" in an OBE is because the experience still, in the end, must be translated back to what they can relate to from a physical point of view once it is downloaded into the human brain.

enoch
28th August 2005, 01:51 PM
right. I think it's a positive study. Scientific boundaries are forever widening. The guys are attempting to teleport objects :lol: I find that fascinating.

me
31st August 2005, 10:54 AM
I took the survey, choosing the option for people who 'Have not had an out of body experience'.

I found that the questions ignored the area of 'attempts made to have an OBE, and the symptoms it creates.'

Suggesting that the scientist guys don't realise that people can induce OBEs themselves.