PDA

View Full Version : Skip two nights of sleep?

Blue Mage
16th January 2007, 12:50 AM
I notice in the ask Robert section he keeps mentioning skipping two nights of sleep as a 99% effective way of inducing OBE. Has anyone here ever tried this? Does he have an article that discusses this in detail?

Athelstone
16th January 2007, 01:47 AM
I have tried missing one night of sleep, and I experienced vibrations and separations frequently during my sleep cycles for the next 4 days. I fought hard to keep my eyes open during the day that I had missed sleep. This action of repeatedly fighting off sleep during the day seems to trigger something in the mind to become consciously aware of the sepration that occurs during sleep.

All of it was spontaneous and uncontrolled, however. I didn't actually have a full blown OBE, just lots of vibrations, Astral noise and feelings of separation.

This could be an effective training method for Astral Projection. Rather than trying to manually catch the awareness of separation during sleep, it should be possible to simply train the mind to become automatically and consciously aware of the separation during sleep.

There are drawbacks to this approach however:

1. Missing sleep is very unhealthy. The brain produces melatonin during night and seratonin during day. Seratonin allows us to feel happy, lively and awake when the sun is out. Melatonin makes us feel tired, sluggish, lazy, perhaps even sad or depressed depending on the person.

2. This method of training teaches your brain to respond in an automatic manner during the separation. In other words, you are developing an automatic skill, that would only be effective during sleep.

This would be enough for many, but for my part, I would rather train to achieve a manual kill, that is, to be able to leave my body whenever I desire. I speculate that Robert Bruce may be one of the few people who have this ability (to be able to Astral project on demand, not just during sleep).

Then again, perhaps this method is a good interim training method. If Robert Bruce mentions it, I think it may deserve credence. Perhaps some manual skill can be attained from developing an automatic response. I stress though that one ought to make health their first priority.

CFTraveler
16th January 2007, 02:09 PM
Robert did say: "This is 99% effective. But this is not very practical for anything more than just having the experience. "

kiwibonga
16th January 2007, 05:46 PM
I don't understand how waiting 2 days without sleeping is different from going to sleep normally... I really wouldn't expect anyone to have an OBE when they finally fall asleep after 48 hours... Sounds like you're most likely to have the OBE in the form of a false awakening when you reach a point where you're tired enough to fall asleep accidentally, somewhere in that 48 hour period...

Athelstone
16th January 2007, 11:03 PM
I don't understand how waiting 2 days without sleeping is different from going to sleep normally... I really wouldn't expect anyone to have an OBE when they finally fall asleep after 48 hours... Sounds like you're most likely to have the OBE in the form of a false awakening when you reach a point where you're tired enough to fall asleep accidentally, somewhere in that 48 hour period...
It is the action of continually fighting off sleep for those 2 days that makes the key difference from simply going to sleep normally. During those 2 days, the continual struggle to fight off sleep causes the mind to get used to maintaining a thread of conscious awareness.

Blue Mage
17th January 2007, 11:33 AM
I found RB's few words on what it's like to be pretty vague, CFT. Oh well, one way to find out...

sash
17th January 2007, 01:47 PM
My guess is the quality of the OBE won't be very good. If you skip a few days of sleep you'll notice your wakeful consciousness start changing too. You can almost step out of your body normally in that stage. However the temptation to just fall asleep would also be substantial. It's just too hard for me to focus in that state to personally have a quality experience.

cainam_nazier
21st January 2007, 09:19 AM
Alex Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a chronic night owl, I've done this before as a matter of normality.

I would say you have to be very careful, in the long run skipping sleep is a sure way to head towards a nervous breakdown.

If you just want to try it for a one off, good luck, its a weird sensation when you start seeing things without effort. Reality seems to blend with illusion and it becomes hard to remain focussed.

As for whether I had any OBE's from this method, I probably have but I would have been so tired I would have slept too deeply and forgotten.

Being the same kind of person I would agree with this 100%. I have noticed that one can slip, almost unknowingly into the OBE state if you are not paying attention. Most of my experiences from this have been short lived mostly because I am never "trying" to OBE at the time. Since it is never a planed thing for me the sudden shifts in can kinda screw with my brain.

Blue Mage
21st January 2007, 03:17 PM
So I tried staying up for two nights... Nothing really happened. I did fall asleep a few times after the first skipped night though, although never for more than a few minutes. I'm most suprised how perfectly normal I felt without sleep. Oh well.

Most interesting was the last night day of no sleep I got a headache in my crown. Briefly I felt some pain in my third-eye area too. I suppose it is common for people to get headaches when they miss sleep. Is it because of some energy-center activity? Is there some mystical point of view on the matter?

It seems like ever since I started work with improving myself spiritually and holistically, I respond to things so differently. Like before, if I stayed up just one night it was a struggle to keep my eyes open. And now I went two nights with almost no sleep and felt normal most of the time. Before, if I would get drunk I would get numb in my extremities... now, the other day I got drunk and instead I felt a heavy fuzzy sensation around the crown chakra area.