PDA

View Full Version : questions about a first reiki attunement

Seeuzin
23rd January 2007, 08:41 PM
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting my first Reiki attunement, and I had some questions.

I used to struggle with depression and a psychotic disorder. Through meditation and therapy, I've gotten to the point where I no longer need antidepressants and actually, I feel the best I've felt since I was fourteen (I'm 22 now.) I've found a sort of inner peace despite the fact that the past year wasn't an easy one (friend committed suicide, another died of cancer, and my grandma died of cancer, plus my mom's not interested in having anything to do with me. I often wondered if she was dead, too.) To boot, the thought disorder is well under control with medication, and I've even been able to go down on the medication somewhat (in collaboration with my psychiatrist, of course.)

I don't have many responsibilities now, and in addition to the fact that I'm doing so well, it makes me think it'd be a perfect time to get my first Reiki attunement. I figure if the attunement weirds me out a little, I've got a therapist and psychiatrist and some good friends to help me through it, and it'd be easier to get through now when I have more time to meditate and such.

Question # 1 - I've heard that Reiki attunements can really weird a person out, as issues they need to face all come up at once, or something. Since my psychiatrist thinks my psychotic disorder is mostly due to the combined effects of a slightly crazy childhood + having a naturally sensitive psyche, I'm worried that getting an attunement would really affect me, possibly in a bad way. Is there any way to have my energy systems assessed for this sort of thing, to see if it will be an issue?

Question # 2 - I've heard that you have to have the right intentions to be able to do Reiki effectively; this question is in regards to my intentions. I am a pretty good listener and can help my friends a lot without doing anything metaphysical - I give them space when they need it, a shoulder to cry on when they need it, and a bit of advice when they ask for it. Sometimes I just sit with them through their frustrations, and they really appreciate it. But for some I wish I could do more. One of my friends is being taken to a state mental hospital today - she's been committed. And it causes me to ache, knowing what she must be going through, and I wish I had another tool with which to help her besides my telephone. But someone said to me that I would be doing it for me, not for her, if I did it because of the ache feeling. I think my intentions are in the right place, but perhaps some of yall can shed some light on this? What would the right intentions be?

Question # 3 - Another friend of mine is going through a rough time, too. She's 19, her parents are going through an ugly divorce, her father's given up on her, and she hates herself. But the problem is, I have a hormonal interest in her in addition to caring about her as a friend (I'm a lesbian). This is made tricky by the fact that she's the first person who's shown an interest in me in return. I'll be blunt. I'm 22 years old and have never even been kissed, because I've never sought out other lesbians (thankfully, she found me,) and because I was so psychotic for so long that relationships were at the bottom of my list of priorities until I got well. I know that part of the reason I want to help her is because of my crush. And I know I need to sort out my intentions here, and make sure I help her because of my feelings of compassion for her, and NOT because I'm attracted to her. I know that would be the wrong reason. But how do I separate the two? Crush and caring get mixed up for me. She kinda ties me in a knot LOL. Maybe I should just not do any Reiki on her. That would probably be the safest thing. Nevermind, I answered my own question.

Question # 4 - Does anyone know any good, accurate FAQ-type websites on Reiki that I could browse through?

Question # 5 - Is it possible to unintentionally do harm with Reiki, and how is this avoided?

Tom
23rd January 2007, 10:00 PM
>Is there any way to have my energy systems assessed for this
>sort of thing, to see if it will be an issue?

You can start by receiving reiki treatments for a while to see if anything comes to the surface and how you feel about it. Another option is to receive an attunement given for the purpose of healing rather than going directly to having the first level of Usui Reiki. This kind of attunement tends to be temporary.

>I've heard that you have to have the right intentions to be able to
>do Reiki effectively; this question is in regards to my intentions.

No one's motivations are perfect from the beginning. They get better the more you use reiki. The only thing I'd suggest being careful to avoid is trying to make something happen. Often with reiki you don't see most of the results right away. The healings are not very dramatic. Sometimes you won't even feel the energy flowing and you just have to trust that it is working. Sometimes when you are giving reiki to someone else they might not feel anything. It gets easier to relax and have faith in your ability with time and regular practice.

>Maybe I should just not do any Reiki on her. That would probably
>be the safest thing. Nevermind, I answered my own question.

There is no harm in sharing reiki. The only thing to watch for is that with people who you feel closer to it is harder to avoid wanting to make something happen, or to get specific results. When I want to share reiki with someone who is that close to me, and I can't really be objective about it, I ask other people who do reiki to send energy for me.

>Does anyone know any good, accurate FAQ-type websites on
>Reiki that I could browse through?

http://www.reiki.org/ has a lot of resources including a FAQ at http://www.reiki.org/FAQ/FAQHomepage.html

http://www.sharereiki.org/sriforum/index.php does not have a FAQ, but it is a good resource. It is a forum where you can get attunements sent at a distance or just ask for reiki to be sent. Most of the people there would send reiki or attunements for free, and there is a lot of material there to read through.

The site http://angelreiki.nu/ says it is down for maintenance. I was going to check to see if they have a good FAQ. It has been a while since my last visit and it looks like they are changing it right now anyway.

http://www.xehupatl.com/ (http://www.xehupatl.com/FAQ.htm) is more about Kundalini Reiki than Usui Reiki, but I'd suggest keeping it in mind for later.

>Is it possible to unintentionally do harm with Reiki, and how
>is this avoided?

Something that a lot of people notice with reiki is that things tend to start happening faster in their lives after being attuned. This applies to energy work in general, that the more energy you have the more power your thoughts and emotions will have for bringing things into your life. I don't really get the idea that you tend to want to hurt people around you a lot of the time. In general if you find yourself thinking something harmful about yourself or other people it is useful to acknowledge it and then to let the thought go without trying to resist it, which would only add energy to it and make it stay longer. It isn't something that you have to be very concerned about. If it were, my parents and I would have been gone from this world a long time ago. It is better to think of this as an opportunity to spend time imagining good things that you would like to see attracted into your life.

Tempestinateapot
24th January 2007, 12:05 AM
Tom did a great job of answering your questions, so I won't go into any more detail. I would just suggest that you could also look into Robert's "Healing with the Heart". http://www.astraldynamics.com/tutorials/?BoardID=8

I'm pulling out a really nice quote from the link that applies to any form of healing, including Reiki.
Healing comes from the heart. No matter how you describe it, the essence of healing involves a spiritual act of mature compassion and unselfish love.
So, regarding your question no. 3, personally, I don't think it matters if you are wanting to help out of compassion or a crush. They are all forms of love, and isn't that the whole point of being here?

Rhone
27th January 2007, 02:14 PM
Before deciding on getting Reiki attunements (especially if you plan on spending money to get one done in person), I'd recommend looking into Healing with the Heart, as Tempest mentioned, and Quantum Touch (http://www.quantumtouch.com/), which is similar to Robert Bruce's method.

I'd also recommend looking into Pranic Healing if you think you might be interested in something more complex and active. Your Hands Can Heal You (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Hands-Can-Heal-You/dp/0743243056/sr=8-1/qid=1169906183/ref=sr_1_1/002-0000599-1344804?ie=UTF8&s=books) is a generously priced Pranic Healing book that I found surprisingly good.

I'm personally turned off by the money that's often attached to Reiki; many Reiki masters want you to believe that Reiki is a special energy that can only be tapped into by receiving an attunement, and that you should empty your wallet in order to truly appreciate it. I'm skeptical on both accounts. On top of that, many authors of Reiki books withhold certain "secret" information in a further effort to nudge you into unloading your bank account to learn from a Reiki Master in person.

Hence, if you do decide to try Reiki, I recommend getting Diane Stein's Essential Reiki (http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Reiki-Complete-Ancient-Healing/dp/0895947366/sr=8-1/qid=1169906911/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0000599-1344804?ie=UTF8&s=books). I have some minor criticisms of her writing, but she doesn't keep any secrets; everything you really need to know about how to practice Reiki is there. As for attunements, you can get free attunements on-line (I think Tom posted links on that already); there is some debate over their effectiveness, but at least if you try Reiki with free attunements and then later move onto a different system of healing, you won't have wasted any money.

No matter what method of energy healing you end up preferring (or if, like me, you like to continue experimenting with many of them), practicing some kind of energy work, such as Qigong or Robert Bruce's NEW system, will improve your ability to heal. Diligent energy work will, IMO, do much more for you than Reiki attunements.

Rhone
27th January 2007, 03:02 PM
But someone said to me that I would be doing it for me, not for her, if I did it because of the ache feeling. I think my intentions are in the right place, but perhaps some of yall can shed some light on this? What would the right intentions be?

I agree with you and strongly disagree with whoever said your intentions are in the wrong place. An example of wrong intentions would be if you were healing someone only for money or some other kind of reward (there's nothing necessarily wrong with making a profession out of healing, but you probably wouldn't be as effective if the money was your primary motivator). Another example of wrong intentions would be if you were knowingly healing someone against their will.

But if knowing someone is in severe distress gives you an ache, and you desparately want to be able to help them, those are RIGHT intentions! That means you have empathy (emotionally/psychologically speaking, not necessarily psychically) and compassion, and that's GOOD! Yes, on some level you might be motivated to relieve your own distress over the situation, but to claim that's selfish is a bit silly.

I'm reminded of a perspective in philosophy called Psychological Egoism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_egoism). Psychological egoists claim that altruism doesn't exist and every act humans engage in is self-serving; for example, even if you're sacrificing something of your own and going out of your way to help others, ultimately its considered to be because it helps you feel better in some way, or because it has positive social benefits for you.

I find the position difficult to argue against, logically; after all, I consider myself a fairly generous and altruistic person, but I DO gain some emotional benefit (i.e. feeling good about myself), and while it's not my primary motivation I AM also aware of the social benefits that come with the way I treat others around me. On the flip side, from what I've seen, people who don't feel good about helping others and making sacrifices tend to, well, NOT help others and make sacrifices.

But I end up dismissing psychological egoism on the grounds that the world is much better off with people who get off on helping others rather than people who get off on hurting or neglecting others.

Anyway, my point in all of that is that any healer who claims that they don't benefit in any way from healing is probably full of crap. And the best way to benefit from your healing is emotionally; i.e. to do it out of a sincere sense of empathy and compassion. And it looks to me like that's exactly what's going on with your ache to heal your friend.

CFTraveler
27th January 2007, 04:22 PM
But I end up dismissing psychological egoism on the grounds that the world is much better off with people who get off on helping others rather than people who get off on hurting or neglecting others.
Amen to that.

chrystalpaths
28th January 2007, 11:13 PM
Ditto that!

Seeuzin
30th January 2007, 07:45 PM
Hello,

Thank you all very much for your replies and for all the good links! I really appreciate it. I'm thinking at this point that I'll start with a little NEW and then see how I feel about a reiki attunement from there. I figure that way if I do decide to do it, my energy systems will be more healthy and the attunement will work better. I'll also have a basic understanding of my own personal energy systems which I think will help.