PDA

View Full Version : What method do you use to relax?

Akashic_Librarian
29th August 2005, 07:18 PM
I could really use some pointers because, to put it simply, i suck at trying to relax myself i get bored and fidgety and itchy and uncomfortabel when ever i try? i am trying too hard? please somebody help?

EOL007
30th August 2005, 02:12 PM
Hi,

If Brian and Robert don’t mind me coming in on this area!

In Week 1 of Mastering Astral Projection – there are some excellent pointers about learning how to relax and reduce distractions etc. If you haven’t got a copy yet, then please read Robert’s section on calming the mind on the main site. See:

http://www.astraldynamics.com/tutorials/?BoardID=65&BulletinID=269

Hope you find this useful,

Stephen

enoch
30th August 2005, 05:20 PM
Hi

It's perfectly natural to feel uncomfortable initially. Some days I just give up because my mind won't settle or I can't get my body to relax.

Sometimes I think of situations where I relax naturally, ie: the bath, whilst laying back and listening to music, etc. Sometimes thinking that way can remind me that relaxation is not an effort. I sometimes listen to classical music too.

I use a technique that has worked considerably well for me for a number of months. I call it a gravity trade-off. Start at your feet and literally feel (pointing your awareness at your body) the weight dropping off you. Asif you're transferring all your weight to the gravitational field. Letting it take every last ounce of weight and tension from you. It can hold it there until you're done. :wink:

I'm sure there are hundreds of techniques and it's all a case of finding which technique suits you.

Akashic_Librarian
30th August 2005, 08:09 PM
WOW! thanks for all the help! i really appreciate it!

Kiefer
3rd September 2005, 08:05 AM
I use some yoga's position. Sometimes when I stand up, I just imagine that I feel an earth energy which enter in my body by my toes. It fill quickly my body. It's just a visualisation exercice.
I'm also praticing breath meditation or that we call vipassana meditation.

Vipassana meditation --> You just have to focus on feelings or sounds. Just feeling the sound when it occurs but don't try to know what it is about. You don't have to repeat the sound. When nothing occur, try to feel your breath.
Just to sum up, you have to live in the present. Be aware of the present.

nparker
8th September 2005, 04:09 AM
Hi friends..!
Relaxation is sequel of mental attitude a sequel of a regular breathing rythm. Breathing meditation (i.e.: to give attention to and counting each exhalation) mixed with rythmic breath (six hearthbeats in - three heartbeat hold - six hearthbeats out) surely leads to total relaxation, since counting and breathing control cleans mind from surface thoughts.
Mental attitude control through thought control, absence of hard emotion and sexual arousal, leads too to physical relaxation. If previous is merged with a falling sensation rehearsing, this leads to body asleep/mind awake state (i.e.: trance).
Thought control is then the key. Physical control is sequel of thought control.
Sincerely,
Natalia Parker

unison
13th September 2005, 03:03 AM
Ill try and keep this short cuz I will link you to a way that I relax and get into a positive state of mind. First ill tell you I have and still sometimes experience the same things you do. I get out of control. You have to want to do it. You cant just half way do it. You have to feel the burning desire to be successful. This is a link to a response I left on another threat that might help you after you have the correct desire and time to practice. http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?t=821[url] hope it helps

laiana
19th September 2005, 05:10 PM
I've actually found the best way to relax when you're beginning is to wake up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning!!

For me this is ALWAYS a perfect opportunity to try and AP because my body is relaxed from a good nights sleep. I've found myself being able to slip into the mind awake body asleep with great ease on these occassions.. It was just the little boost I needed to keep me persisting with OBE and not feel like I wasn't getting anywhere!

gorillabait
19th September 2005, 08:18 PM
What really works for me is a combination of two methods: locating the stress in your body and releasing it through contraction/release or through will, and conscious breathing.

A good way to learn to relax is progressive muscle contraction/relaxation, meaning that you progressively (starting at the top and going down, or vice versa) tense groups of muscles, for maybe 10 seconds, and then release them. When you release them, concentrate on the feeling of relaxation in that muscle/muscle group. If you do this over your whole body, you'll end up releasing a lot of the hidden stresses which exist unknown to you. After doing this for a while, it will become easier, and you'll even learn to relax the muscles without tensing them in the first place!

The 'releasing through will' part usually comes after you've learned to locate the stresses in your body. Once you find a stress, by concentrating on the feeling of stress you can usually learn to release it simply by desire. For this though, it is very important to learn to recognize the different parts of your body, muscles, tendons and even organs, through mind alone. With great knowledge of your body comes great control. This is a powerful form of self-healing.

The second method is conscious breathing. By concentrating on your breathing, on the feeling of air filling you and of air emptying from you, you can relax your whole body.

On the in-breath, feel the air entering you as energy which is filling your body. You can fill either your entire body or fill specific parts which you feel need attention, by concentrating on that part of the body (or on the feeling of stress/tension/pain in that part) as you draw air inwards. This in-breath can feel very pleasant, since concentrating on the breath this way can fill your body with energy like a balloon.

On the out-breath, you're letting the air and energy out of your body. Feel it leaving your body empty, relaxed, and limp. The out-breath exhales the stale air and energy from your body, or specific areas, leaving them ready to be filled again on the in-breath. On the out-breath, you can also concentrate on areas which feel painful or tense, and this can relax those areas greatly, relieving ill feelings from within. The out-breath can be extremely relaxing, almost to the point of body paralysis, since even the will to move can vanish, leaving only a pleasant lack of desire bordering on sleep.

This breathing method can progressively relax your body to the point of deep trance, I believe, though I've never taken it that far. A big part of one's ability to use this method is the ability to hone the flow of thought. If your mind starts wandering, you'll stop concentrating on your breathing. As such, and as general part of meditation, you should also work on exercises which reduce errant thought. Thought control exercises are an important part of any meditation practice, and will help energy work, relaxation, healing, and daily life, all of which benefit from improved concentration.

I hope that this helps, let me know you have any questions about these methods.