PDA

View Full Version : Some nice progress, I think

nightserpent
1st September 2005, 03:44 PM
I'm currently on Day 9. I didn't expect much to happen by now, but I have had a few encouraging signs.

Concentrating on the breath work is probably the most difficult for me. My mind is wont to wander, I can try to read or watch something, and though my eyes are going through the motions, my thoughts are elsewhere. So, thinking of nothing but breathing is a challenge for me. On day 8, I added the counting of breaths, which has helped. It gives me more for my brain to do, and it calls for more attention. My mind still wanders, but less so.

The energy stimulation is going well, I think. The sensations I feel are more or less in line with the descriptions I've read (tingling, bubbling, prickling). I started the hands yesterday, and they got very warm, to my surprise.

I manage to memorize the morning affirmations after a couple days, which hopefully is working it's way into my subconscious.

The most interesting signs I see are with the dream journal. My ability to recall dreams has already improved quite a bit. My number doubled within the first two days of study. Once I realize I am awake, I try to think if I can recall a dream or not... at first I usually think not, but then it will often blossom into my mind. Sometimes I can't read my blurry eyed scrawl, and one time it was near impossible to write because my arm fell asleep! But, twice in my dreams already, I have actually had my dream keyword notepad in my hands! Both times, someone I met asked me what it was. Though I have sometimes felt that things were odd in dreams, I have never consciously knew I was dreaming before. But, now, I feel like I am at the cusp of breaking through and being aware I am in a dream.

This is more than I expected at this phase!

BriMercer
2nd September 2005, 04:32 PM
Very encouraging! Keep up the good work!

Focusing on the breath is a challenge, no doubt. It takes will and focus. Don't be afraid to apply your willpower to the task. When you mind begins to wander, command it wordlessly to stay with the breath.

As the weeks go by, the breathing exercises get more interesting and there is more to focus on that just the breath.

Good luck!

Brian

nightserpent
2nd September 2005, 04:55 PM
Wow, that is a nice treat to hear from you, Brian!

I have been trying to flit away any distractions, but then I wonder if that flitting action is essentially the same thing as thinking about things other than the breathing. I can get wrapped up into mind games, thinking I am concentrating about nothing than my breath, but then I realize that I have just been thinking about that and not my breathing. This can go on in circles, infinitely!

But, I'll forge on in good faith.

What you've mentioned about more to focus on will likely be a big help for me. While I can focus on brushing, sponging and bouncing, breathing is a little harder. Having been breathing my whole life, it's easy to go on auto-pilot and let my mind wander.

Planet_Jeroen
2nd September 2005, 08:32 PM
Having been breathing my whole life, it's easy to go on auto-pilot and let my mind wander.

Try feeling your breath as it goes in and out, not just noticing that you're breathing. That helps a great deal for me.

I tend to take stuff for granted too, as in: yeah yeah, I know how that works... boring...

Then I started to follow my breath closely trying to feel it passing my lips, over my tongue, down my throat, into my lungs...imagining it being absorbed into my bloodstream, and then the exhale in reverse order, imagining the 'used' air getting out of my lungs, thru my throat, over my tongue and lips out of my mouth...

This gives me some points to work towards with my breath... I now focus on the next point when my concentration fades to other thoughts.

Just an idear.

Regards,

Jeroen

nightserpent
2nd September 2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks, Planet_Jeroen, I apprecite the input. :D

I have tried concentrating on the feelings, but I hadn't gone as far as you did. Your version is more vivid (tonge and lips in particular), and that ought to help. Thanks again!

Sachiel
3rd September 2005, 01:36 AM
As he said, feeling the breath helps along with the counting, also feeling your chest rise and expand and the other sensations. Air doesn't just come in and out; it rocks your whole body slightly. Eventually when you get a little more relaxed you might se things (I see circles going in and in andin alternating green and purple, like I was falling backwards through a tunnel) and then you can switch to those if they are mroe interesting and absorbing, or even ad them to the breathing. Also, you might want to try breathing rythms.

Breathing rythms help a lot; I first realized this studying Occultism. A good one is to breathe in for 8 seconds/heartbeats, hold 4, out 8, hold four. This alone can get you into a deep trance, and not only can you count the seconds, but also the cycles.

Hope that helped.

~Sam

nightserpent
3rd September 2005, 02:27 AM
Sam-

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated! Visuals help, perhaps because I am an artist. The heartbeat comment makes sense to me, as I found that my 'bouncing' exercise tends to naturally cue up with my heartbeat.

-Paul