PDA

View Full Version : Physical exercise and energy work... Can it be balanced?

Nikolai
9th February 2007, 11:28 PM
Responding to one of the questions asked in the "Ask Robert Bruce" section Mr. Bruce said "Regular physical exercise, in particular, tends to deactivate the higher functioning of the energy body."

I really do love weightlifting... Does anyone know of an effective way to do both physical and spiritual work? Am I just going to have to cut back on physical exercise if I want to get the most out of my energy work?

I eat a lot too....

Maybe a specific schedule could help me to accomplish both?

Thanks!

CFTraveler
9th February 2007, 11:46 PM
Could you provide a link to this statement, please?

Nikolai
9th February 2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah, sorry about that....

I'm so forgetful these days...

http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?t=6181 :P

CFTraveler
10th February 2007, 12:00 AM
He's not saying that physical exercise is bad for projecting or energy raising. He's saying that focusing on the physical is a good way to stop an unwanted kundalini raising, deflecting the focus off the spiritual. And ameliorating the side-effects.
Physical exercise, especially chi-moving exercise, is a form of energy work. Like Tai Chi and Qi Gong. So if you, for example lift weights using the chi (as in exhaling on the 'push' and inhaling on the 'relax') you are doing energy work. So it's ok to work out. But if you want to work on awareness, don't do it 'til exhaustion.

Tom
10th February 2007, 12:02 AM
What kind of diet are you using to support your weight lifting? And what kind of environment do you exercise in? I don't think it is the exercise itself, if exercise can deactivate the upper chakras, so much as the things which go along with it. Energy tends to flow where your attention goes. If you eat foods that are hard to digest, and if your exercise is in an environment which does not support the upper chakras, or if the physical is your main focus, then yes it could keep you from upper chakra development. There are ways to avoid this. I have read in books on Yoga that you can combine weight lifting with energy raising and visualizing your muscles becoming strong and healthy and shaped the way you want them. You can make the upper chakras and higher qualities of energy your priorities and the actual physical movements secondary. The energy bounce exercises in NEW are perfect for this because they require minimal attention to keep them going once you have them set up. You can focus mainly on your weight lifting, and that is a good thing, because lifting weights while not watching what you are doing is a good way to get hurt.

Although I forgot where, I read that cherry juice is very good for recovery after exercise. It helps you to have less soreness and helps the muscles to develop faster.

L-arginine is good, too, taken 3-5 grams daily with water on an empty stomach. It triggers the release of growth hormone, and the excess causes nitric oxide production.

Another thing that just now occurs to me is that if you repeat a mantra such as "Om namah Shivaya" while you lift weights that would be a very good thing. Maybe you can even set the movements of your exercise to the rhythm of the mantra, whichever one you choose, if you choose a mantra. I just suggested this one because I like it so much.

CFTraveler
10th February 2007, 12:07 AM
Tom wrote:
Energy tends to flow where your attention goes. Thanks, Tom. That's what I wanted to say in my hasty way.

Nikolai
10th February 2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I just misinterpreted all of what he was getting at.

Well, I work out in my garage. My dark, ice cold garage. Not the best area I know, but what can you do?

As for my diet... I do eat a lot of protein, whether in the powdered form or in meat, which is hard to digest... I also take some supplements like creatine and tribulus among other things that have led to a few physical problems. I'm not sure if they've had any effect on my energy body, but I'd assume that it must have had some. Lately I've only been taking creatine and eating lots of food and I've been feeling pretty good. Then again I started energy work after lifting weights/supplementing and changes in diet so I have no comparison.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Qi Gong sounds interesting. Know of any good instructional books?

rapidlearner
10th February 2007, 01:28 AM
Im going to be honest...

I think you know, deep down, that taking all those supplements (especially creatine) to improve your physical appearence has no relevance to your spirituality. It's pure vanity to bulk yourself to excess. I know it's your life and you should do what makes you happy but I don't think you would be here asking these such questions if you thought it wasn't effecting your spiritual evolution. Your subconscious is telling you something and once you understand the nature of your question, you'll realise why your concerned.

Keeping the tool your spirit lives in fit and health is obviously good for you... You do not need to take muscle building supplements to look good. Your personality will do that.

Harsh, I know! but I've seen people become obsessed with their bodies and it takes over their lives.

Rhone
10th February 2007, 01:53 AM
Physical exercise has a "grounding" effect--it burns off excess energy and puts your focus in the physical world. That's why you see RB recommending it for people who are having wacky energy stuff going on.

As others have said, it doesn't hinder your development; in fact, having a strong and healthy body can help clear out blockages and help your energy flow better. I wouldn't recommend trying to do any kind of serious energy or trance work immediately after strenuous exercise (but it would be fine after light qigong or yoga exercise), for the reasons mentioned above. However, again for the reasons mentioned above, I think strenuous physical exercise after trance/energy work is not only okay, but good. I suspect it would help to circumvent a lot of the "help help, my energy is doing wacky stuff out of my control!!" problems people complain about.

Make sure you do a lot of stretching... I think it helps to loosen up blockages that can be created from all the tension built up in your muscles during strength training.

Nikolai
10th February 2007, 02:20 AM
Rapidlearner - No problem. I appreciate your honest opinion.

I actually see your point and agree with you on this one. I think that after I mature a bit I'll be able to understand and pursue what I need to. I guess I'm in a bit of an experimental mode right now.

I just wanted to be sure that this sort of thing is going to make AP extremely difficult or nearly impossible because I do find it very interesting and I would like to have a better "hands-on" understanding of it all.

Rhone - Thanks for your suggestions buddy. I will try my energy work before training and see if it works better for me. I had never thought of stretching in that way.

Again, this novice really appreciates all of your input. Thanks guys!

star
10th February 2007, 09:47 PM
The bounce technique is always difficult for me. I'm actually clumsy with my will.

So when I'm runnning I try to bounce the energy, or even if I'm just sitting I put my mind to the task but it shoots out my body, or just in all sorts of crazy directions. :D

Although energy for gaining endurance would be great for me. I do, do alot of running.

Leswan
19th February 2007, 02:00 PM
Hi Nikolai,

I too workout in my cold, dark garage... and I love it! For me, lifting weights is a great time for introspection and release. I've been working out for years, and last May I started spontaneously OBE'ing.

I find that it's easier to have an OBE after doing a really good workout than when I've not exercised. In Astral Dynamics RB says that physical relaxation is critical to a conscious OBE exit, and providing that I stretch after working out, I find that my body is completely relaxed.

I too have a very good appetitie and eat lots of whole foods. I also supplement with powdered whey protein, but this has [slightly] more to do with replenishing my body than narcisism! - well maybe I'm kidding myself.

I don't think my diet or lifting weights hinders me whatsover in terms of my spiritual development.

Take care,

Matt

Nikolai
19th February 2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks Matt!

I appreciate it. I'm not so worried now. The best of both worlds!

:D