PDA

View Full Version : SAGES HAVE NO DREAMS?

sono
14th February 2007, 05:49 AM
I have just read a pdf file of a book on Dreams by Swami Sivananda on the Divine Life Society website, in which he states that Sages and those liberated in Brahma or in Turiya state have no further dreams when they sleep. . . . I wonder if anyone has any comments? SAW has often made reference to Swami Sivananda's teachings as being a a good source for Gnostic students to turn to - but I am a bit confused as to how Dream Yoga is taught as a technique, but also dismissed, in a sense, as being pointless in the final analysis by what the Swami said.

Years ago I used to have the most detailed, in-depth symbolic-type dreams; I used to look forward to sleeping! But since I have been meditating seriously these have fallen away - only a few, more prosaic dreams nowadays & I find I am not remembering them as well as I used to (I have kept a dream journal since I was a child)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Tom
14th February 2007, 06:55 AM
My teacher who gave me Shaktipat prefers to be between dreams, in deep dreamless sleep. He is lucid even then. I want to be that way, too, but I am over twenty years younger than him and far less accomplished. Dream Yoga is taught before Sleep Yoga for the obvious reason: you get results a lot faster. Would you do a technique every day for a year or two without any feedback or results?

kiwibonga
14th February 2007, 08:11 AM
sono, I'm experiencing the same thing... When I started practicing for OBEs and keeping a dream journal, I would get super-weird, vivid dreams every night. Occasionally, I would go through "streaks" of 3-4 remembered dreams a night. Slowly, the overall aspect of the dreams shifted, they went from these stories I didn't really understand to much clearer messages. It's like each dream is now a puzzle that needs to be solved and leads to a lesson. They used to be about "subconscious" fears and problems, now they're actually helping me with achieving greater control over my emotions and awareness in the dream state.

A few days ago, I was taught that all dreams can be rewinded, that if I don't like an outcome, I can just use my voice and start over, make decisions.

Right now I'm having somewhat-precognitive dreams... They are hard to describe because they're more along the line of trains of thought than "classic" dreams ; I'll often dream about conversations with people that I am going to have the next day. They are usually predictable, so I wouldn't call them precognitive just yet, but it really seems that there was a shift from "reprocessing the day" to "processing tomorrow" which I find interesting.

I think of dreams as "cleansing devices" ; it's like your mind is this big tangled ball of string, and each dream helps you undo the knots. Each day, we add more knots, and at night, we fix things up. Greater dream state awareness allows the messages to be clearer, the experiences to be "more real" and ultimately more effective... The healing process is faster, and allows us to focus on what we really want. It's borderline magick...

But what happens if you don't have anything to untangle?

Sages don't have nearly as many preoccupations -- would you, if you spent all day meditating in an ashram? Plus, they have great control over their minds.

They do function like every other human, to an extent, but the content of their dreams is not automatically gathered from preoccupations like us city folks... They are on a straight, peaceful, blissful road. They know their goal, and they are rarely bothered by anything (especially not the thoughts and "radiations" of other people). I would guess that is the reason they don't dream.

sono
15th February 2007, 04:59 AM
Just to say thanks for your replies & insghts

Excaliber
15th February 2007, 11:30 AM
heres an idea, just an idea but who knows. what if true sages don't dream, means that they are always lucid when they dream. maybe they just dont have those crazy dreams like us full of symbolism that we have to write down in the morning. maybe they are always aware, so in a way they are not dreaming :D