PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to be a 'master'?

Nnonnth
23rd February 2007, 12:51 PM
Hi Robert,

First of all I would like to thank you for all your work and all the wonderful stuff you are teaching.

My question follows on from an older one to you on this forum, which concerned the reason for undergoing kundalini in a 'what happens after that?' kinda way.

You mentioned that:

Many possibilities arise, depending on the degree of enlightenment of the individual at the time. From here, one can stay in the real time zone and wander the Earth and act as a spirit helper, helping people in any way one chooses. Or, one could attach to one particular person and act as that person's spirit guide. This may be the origins of some spirits.

Or, one could begin the path of the masters, maybe as a junior master, although this path probably only becomes possible much later in the enlightenment process.

What I wanted to relate this to was the question of what it actually means to be a 'master'. It seems strange to be thinking about this at my paltry stage of evolution, but it's a subject that has arisen again and again in my mind and in conversations with others.

Although I'm not a Buddhist myself, I have hung around with them a little, and they always seem to feel mastery implies a total merger with God/All Things/however you want to put that.

Then again, in Bardon's 'Practice of Magical Evocation', there is this interesting passage:

It is decided in the higher spheres whether a magician wishes to attain the highest perfection or if he wishes to become a saint. A magician who strives for the highest perfection is the highest and greatest lord in creation... a saint remains with one aspect [of God] and he perfects himself in this aspect. He becomes a part of this aspect and, when the perfection of this aspect eventually comes into being within him, he loses his perfected individuality. The highest perfection that a human being can ever achieve is that of a true sovereign, a true magician.... he never loses and never relinquishes his individuality.

My feeling is that Bardon is very right on this. It seems to me that 'the ultimate' as some people conceive of it is not really the ultimate! When people talk of a final 'merging with God', it seems to me that they are talking about what Bardon calls 'sainthood'. For example, they would identify completely with God's love and eventually that love would bloom in them to such a degree that there was no difference between them and it.

But such a merger really is talking only about God's love. Such a person, in merging totally with that aspect - the watery aspect - will have lost completely the Fiery omnipotence, the Airy omniscience, the Earthy eternity, which we are also given to develop to their maximum extent.

I don't know anyone who really knows the answers to these things, but I have always wondered what you yourself would say about it. I know you work with Bardon's system, but at the same time you are not all about the elements the way he is.

In Eastern systems there is alot said about completely relinquishing one's ego (Buddhism) and 'becoming unfathomable' (Taoism) but I have not ever seen it said there that the highest thing a human can ever do is remain him- or herself but so completely that all his/her aspects are equivalent to those of God.

What do you think? :roll: To me it all goes to the bigger question of where human evolution is supposed to end up. To hear some people talk, you would think that the whole idea of being human and incarnate is some kind of a mistake (!) and that all we can do is relinquish our individuality as soon as possible to save ourselves from the mistake... I don't see how that can be so, but some people who think this are very firm about it.

Best, NN

Robert Bruce
19th November 2007, 06:29 PM
G'day!

These thoughts are understandable for some people, until they start to really 'get it' to realize the true nature of life.

Those who think that human life is a mistake, and those who can't wait to leave physical life, have not really thought about things in any kind of deep way. These thoughts are understandable gut reactions to a life that is not how it is supposed to be. Not, that is, according to certain desire shaped beliefs.

The very idea that we are here by a mistake, that we should be in a better and more spiritual place where our divine natures will be more appreciated and rewarded, that we are just putting in our time here on Earth waiting to leave, like it was some kind of prison camp, are the thoughts and words of spiritual youth and ego.

This is an unrealistic view of what is, of this thing we all share called life.

People are free to think and believe whatever they like. But this will not change reality one bit. This is a bit like... "the world and life are not exactly what I want them to be, so I want to take my ball and go home"

This can be likened this to how some children are in school, those who don't want to be there. They would rather be at home playing video games or watching movies or playing. They don't want to put in the hard work and time gaining an education at school. They would rather be anywhere else. They can't see how learning math and chemistry and history will help them and be useful for them in life. To them its unfair that they are forced to attend school every day. They want out. "Hey, teacher, I don't need to know all this stuff!"

The physical world is amazing. It contains everything needed for life experience and spiritual growth.

Physical life, in a way, comes with enforced attendance, much like school. There are a few ways out, but these are not very nice and they do not provide solutions or an easier way in the long term. Attendance is generally prolonged by running away from school or by attempting short cuts, and there are painful consequences to some actions.

However, the world is perfect in every detail the way it is. It may not seem like it, but it is perfect. I am in awe every time I look around and see the solidity and beauty and contrast of form.

Life contains everything, good and bad, that one could possibly need to achieve spiritual growth. Here there are causes to join, wrongs to right, dragons to slay, romantic love, dramas, secrets to discover, things to invent, even wars to fight. There is also creativity, fun, boredom, apathy, addictions, physical and mental disease, pain and suffering, relationships, crime, youth and old age, and mortality. The list goes on; we have everything!

The spiritual realms, on the other hand, are incredibly fluid. They wrap themselves around your thoughts and manifest a perfect environment to match. Given this, it is difficult if not impossible to grow spiritually. If we tried to learn hard lessons there, when life got difficult or painful in spiritual realms, everything would change to suit.

But here in the physical the opposite applies, in that if life gets too difficult, you must change yourself, or work to change the environment and/or other people the hard way.

The physical universe provides everything needed to make huge leaps in spiritual evolution. And keep in mind that personal growth as a human being is heavily related to spiritual development. Psychic abilities are not an indicator of spiritual growth, although they can be a side effect.

As for 'what is a master'. Masters are persons whom have achieved levels of self mastery and realization of the nature of the physical universe and the greater reality. They have seen and achieved levels of truth and love beyond what is considered normal.

Some of the wisest sayings every said.

Man, know thyself.

The truth shall set you free

God/Source lives within your heart

These are by large misunderstood.

I have many times said to people 'you are God/Source' and they smile and say 'yes, I know this... what else can you tell me?' I am utterly stunned by this. This is the big tamale, the ultimate realization. It is intellectually grasped but it is obviously not realized or understood.

Take your index finger and physically point to where God/Source is. Then take your finger and point to where He is not. This demonstrates that God/Source is everywhere, including inside of you.

The entire universe, every atom, is a part of God/Source. This means that you are also composed of God/Source energy and matter.

The greatest disservice organized religions do for humanity is to separate us from God/Source. God has been comfortably place up beyond the clouds somewhere, and us mere mortals are down here on earth. The game is that we must be super good worshipers if we hope to to get a little divine attention or a happy afterlife.

The truth is that God/Source is within you. The great observer within you. The Great I AM within you. All holy books and enlightened teachers say this. EG, God is in the heart of everyone, etc. Therefore, the most accessible and approachable aspect of the divine is within, through your body and mind and your life.

God/Source is a state of mind - a state of being.

If you begin to realize this, and you go within, you'll find God/Source there inside of you, in every cell of your body. Its always been there, sharing every thought and moment of your life. This divine aspect is quite in most people, but it is there. It never leaves. And if you approach this divine aspect very simply, like a child, with no preconceived notions, it responds. And the more you do this, the more your divine aspect responds and takes part in your life.

As you realize God/Source within you, God/Source realizes you.

And, if you digest this, consider that everything around you, all matter, all form, is also composed of God/Source. This is why I marvel when I look around me.

What does Buddha see when he walks along a busy street? He sees only Buddhas, everywhere.

When I walk down a busy street, I see myself in everyone and everything. Everywhere around me I feel the loving embrace of family, my family, my life, my universe, all a part of me.

And one more thing. It is important to love yourself, to love your body and your mind and your life. God/Source responds to love and truth.

This is irrefutable logic, if you have even the slightest grain of belief in any kind of order to the universe, God or Source.

Robert Bruce

ps, I only lightly follow Bardon's work. He wrote a great tutorial, IIH, and some parts have universal application to spiritual training and development. But I am no expert on ritual magic.

Korpo
21st November 2007, 10:25 AM
Thank you for this, Robert.

It touched me. Part of me knows you speak a lot of truth here.

Be well,
Oliver

Robert Bruce
1st October 2008, 04:35 PM
G'day,

revisiting this....

In a nutshell....

To be a master I think, basically, is twofold.... to be one who has mastered control over his her energy, and maintains and manages his her energies without impinging on others, and without being impinged upon by others. And the realization of the greater reality, that you are Source, and as Source you are connected to everything and everyone. Everything else aside, I think these two things define a master.

Robert