PDA

View Full Version : Robert Monroe books, etc

Blue Mage
4th March 2007, 01:29 PM
A while ago I read one of Robert Monroe's books. It was interesting, but it left me with so many questions, it was disappointing in the end. The review by Scott Meredith for the book Voyages into the Unknown (Exploring the Afterlife Series, Vol. 1) (Paperback)
by Bruce Moen on amazon.com sums up what I thought so perfectly. Yeah, the review is about a different book, but still. Basically the reviewer pointed out that the books seems seem to come from such a narrow worldview: that of a white american male. And things are just-so with not nearly enough examination of WHY??? There are so many questions I would ask if I was in his position, and he asks none of them. What is up with that???

Beekeeper
4th March 2007, 08:15 PM
I think the books were interesting. I can't remember much if they were or were not speculative in nature because I read them too long ago now. For a whole lot of reasons, I personally think that it's fine if writers simply describe rather than speculate. Certainly by raising a lot of questions he made people curious to find out for themselves.

I do remember having a strong impression that much of what was in the books was selective, which is understandable given the cultural context in which he wrote his books . I imagine he had his own theories and beliefs about the things he experienced.

Tempestinateapot
4th March 2007, 09:01 PM
Blue Mage, did you read just Monroe's first book? He progresses in his knowledge throughout the 3 books. His last one is actually the best, and he admits he learned a lot more that what he knew before. There was a pretty wide span of time between the books.

Moen's books are good to, but you have to read all 4 to get the full picture of what he learned through OBE. The 5th book is simply a "how to".

student of life
26th August 2007, 11:49 AM
I'll have to agree with the above,every person who writes a book is from his/her own experience and perception so is up to everyone of us how we take these information take care.