PDA

View Full Version : Dream Construction

Dragonlor
19th March 2007, 11:37 PM
I was wondering if anyone else experiences this. Most of the time (if not always) when I dream I seem to always know what's going to happen in the dream before it happens. I can often actually hear/feel my brain construct the next scene in the dream at the same time the current scene is still playing out. I usually end up always knowing exactly what is going to happen several seconds before it happens. It's not a lucid dream since I never know that I'm dreaming but I always have a heads up on what is going to happen. It actually makes a lot of my dreams rather boring since even when something exciting happens I'm not suprised since I already knew it was going to happen. "Oh, something exploded. Meh." It's like sitting in a movie theatre and there's some jerk behind you constantly saying what is going to happen next.

cainam_nazier
20th March 2007, 08:04 AM
I personally have never experienced this. But it really doesn't seem too far fetched to be abnormal. Seeing as most "regular" dreams are constructs of the mind anyway it could be a simple matter of what speed the different aspects of the mind work. It would seem that you are processing thought and emotion before it gets put into a visual form normally associated with dreaming.

It might be interesting to experiment with that and deal with dream thought rather than the imagery. So instead of waiting for the event or what ever to occure visually, react to it as it is being constructed.

Beekeeper
20th March 2007, 10:20 AM
Dragonlor,

I know what you're talking about. I sometimes experience this.

It's not lucidity but wouldn't it be great if we could turn it into that? I often anticipate in "real" life what people are going to say and do. I guess this is pretty natural, as is thinking ahead of your response. Maybe we should try reality checks everytime we find ourselves doing that.

Maybe it's not really the same thing though. Perhaps it's something in the neurological setup that allows us to be both aware of constructing the dream and not actually twigging to the fact we're dreaming.

CFTraveler
20th March 2007, 12:38 PM
I have had similar experience with my 'growing lucidity' :D , but it's a bit different: I'm going towards a scene that is far ahead (I'm driving or flying towards it). It's usually a beach scene with rocky outcroppings. I am really looking forward to jumping in the water and riding the waves. As I get closer, it gets 'faker', until when I get there, it's a 'fake beach'. Sometimes it's like a theme park (like a wave pool, for example), sometimes it's like a theater stage, but when I get there it's completely 'constructed'. Most of the time this dissappoints me. Once I woke in the middle of a dream where I was standing knee deep in 'water', except it just looked (exactly) like water, but had no substance, like a hologram. I was fascinated by the fact that it looked like water, but really wasn't there. These dreams usually cause me to feel dissappointment.
I agree that I do think they simbolize a growing awareness of the illusion of life, but it's not a happy feeling.