PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pan

CFTraveler
20th March 2007, 07:30 PM
No, really! I just finished reading the original book by J.M. Barrie, the original Peter Pan and let me tell you, it's about astral projection! Let me quote a piece here:
" If you shut your eyes and are a lucky one, you may see at times a shapeless pool of lovely pale colours suspended in darkness; then if you squeeze your eyes tighter, the pool begins to take shape, and the colours become so vivid that with another squeeze they must go on fire. But just before they go on fire you see the lagoon. This is the nearest you ever get to it on the mainland, just one heavenly moment; if there could be two moments you might see the surf and hear the mermaids singing"
(He is talking of course about the lagoon in Neverland).
There are other tidbits like that throughout the book (for example, the 'instant thought creation' phenomenon) and after reading it I thought that Tinker Bell is a neg. A cute one, but a neg nonetheless. :wink:

blacktiger057
27th March 2007, 10:43 PM
That's interesting. I'll have to read that book again and compare it to astral projection. Cool thought! :)

CFTraveler
27th March 2007, 11:04 PM
Every literary critic in the world thinks that it's about a child never growing old, but after reading it with the perspective I have, I realize that it's really about the ability children have of accepting alternate realities without question, and ow their transporting abilities diminish as they grow older. Except the ones that never forget.

There's so many parallels with astral travels it's mindblowing:
The flying, the instant reality creation phenomenon, the time distortions, the fact that everyone can be in neverland and not remember having been there, and the fact that everyone creates the scene by thought, even when in the mainland.

blacktiger057
27th March 2007, 11:10 PM
bYur right i'm so readin this book 2mrrow

Wrong Eye
8th April 2007, 03:17 AM
This is awesome. Especially Tinker Bell being a neg.

Why do you think Tinker Bell is a neg? What do you suppose Peter Pan is?

I have my own Neverland, it's called Fantasia from the Neverending Story. I see some things like Neverland in books and movies... Narnia, Fantasia, and Neverland are all similar, but different too.

I'd love to analyze this further.

Beekeeper
8th April 2007, 07:04 AM
Cool, CF, I'll borrow it from the library and read it to Harry. That way I can check it out at the same time. :wink:

CFTraveler
8th April 2007, 05:43 PM
W.E. wrote:
Why do you think Tinker Bell is a neg? What do you suppose Peter Pan is? Well, she tried to get the lost boys to kill Wendy, the only thing that saved her was a thimble in her pocket that blocked the arrow they shot her with.
I would say Peter is a Wind elemental. :lol:

Beekeper, how old is Harry? I'd read it first and clean it up a bit. You'll see why. Apparently they think going out and killing each other is good fun. :lol: And there's bits about fairies coming back hungover from an orgy. I guess kids back then were a little more thick-skinned than we are today. My kid read it, but he didn't ask what it was (I was ready with the old fashioned 'drinking till you puke' explanation which is correct, but he didn't ask).
:lol:

Beekeeper
8th April 2007, 11:37 PM
Hmm, okay, maybe I'll read it to myself then. :D

Flash_hound
8th April 2007, 11:40 PM
Ahh I'm so getting this book now.

What is captain hook then?

CFTraveler
9th April 2007, 01:44 AM
Now you got me thinking.... He is so human, unlike Peter...

Flash_hound
9th April 2007, 05:30 PM
I wonder if captain hook has to do with personal experiences of the author. We wouldn't understand it because it's not a common entity it's a personal being that the author was forced to contend with during his time in the Astral Plane.

CFTraveler
9th April 2007, 07:38 PM
Either that or the creepy part of his own personality. If you read about his life, it was, shall we say, interesting. But not nasty, in a murderous way. More like, unfortunate.

Jake
24th November 2007, 04:24 PM
thats funny,,, I have always thought that about the book... the early book.... my grandma read it to me... i love how people just love the damn thing but not sure why... I KNOW WHY!!!

Jake
30th November 2007, 07:00 PM
Just ordered the original for my daughters... been kinda lookin for a way to feel them out on there dreams and such... im gonna read it to them... great way to bring up the subject without freakin their mom out...