PDA

View Full Version : Please help...

Lilac
29th March 2007, 12:34 AM
My mother is in a lot of pain, her lower back's been hurting for a couple of days now. The doctor prescribed painkillers, but those don't do any good. It doesn't look like it's gonna go away anytime soon. Everything's so messed up... :cry: I'm really worried. About two years ago, her back was hurting like that too. She could hardly get out bed for about a week. It's not that bad now, but I'm afraid that she's just gonna keep pushing herself and it will worsen. I don't know what to do... I don't want to leave her alone tomorrow, but I have to go to school (I was sick and missed a lot). The only thing I can do is pray. I will really appreciate any help.

CFTraveler
29th March 2007, 12:53 AM
Will definitely send her some prayers.
Has she considered going to a chiropractor? I was in excruciating pain last year due to an old injury coupled with weight gain. I was going to a so-so chiropractor who wasn't helping me (I had an orthopedist that told me to take painkillers, and I don't do painkillers) so I ended up going to this person I knew from church and he ended up fixing me. I can now sleep through the night without pain. That doesn't sound like much but I was at the point that I couldn't get past 4 hours lying down without being in excruciating pain. I ended up sleeping half the night in a recliner (which is how I discovered how easier it is for me to project from it.) Now I mostly use the recliner for projecting and naps.

Lilac
30th March 2007, 03:15 AM
Has she considered going to a chiropractor? I was in excruciating pain last year due to an old injury coupled with weight gain. I was going to a so-so chiropractor who wasn't helping me (I had an orthopedist that told me to take painkillers, and I don't do painkillers) so I ended up going to this person I knew from church and he ended up fixing me. I can now sleep through the night without pain. That doesn't sound like much but I was at the point that I couldn't get past 4 hours lying down without being in excruciating pain. I ended up sleeping half the night in a recliner (which is how I discovered how easier it is for me to project from it.) Now I mostly use the recliner for projecting and naps.

Ouch! That sounds pretty bad, it's good that you found someone to fix it, though.
Thank you. Her back still hurts, but she looks much better now and is in a better mood. I doubt that she considered going to a chiropractor. We both have a negative attitude towards chiropractors and the like... They never seem to help (sadly). Actuallly, going to any type of doctor for any reason has proved to be a gamble over the past several years. You never know if you'll get some horrible side effects from the stuff they prescribe. And then, if no side effects or allergic reactions occur then there is still some hope to get better. lol

30th March 2007, 09:02 PM

Ouch! That sounds pretty bad, it's good that you found someone to fix it, though.
Thank you. Her back still hurts, but she looks much better now and is in a better mood. I doubt that she considered going to a chiropractor. We both have a negative attitude towards chiropractors and the like... They never seem to help (sadly). Actuallly, going to any type of doctor for any reason has proved to be a gamble over the past several years. You never know if you'll get some horrible side effects from the stuff they prescribe. And then, if no side effects or allergic reactions occur then there is still some hope to get better. lol
The reason you were in pain is not your weight, but your posture. The body was made so that you can carry your weight. Fix the posture and your pains will evaporate...

http://www.egoscue.com
[/*:m:2ww9e844]
I urge you to pray to Blessed Alphonsa of India. Her intercession is very powerful, for she suffered herself. I shall pray as well.

Blessed Alphonsa, praise the Lord...
For His mercy endures forever!
See Blessed Alphonsa in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blessed_Alphonsa)…[/*:m:2ww9e844]

Dialgo
31st March 2007, 01:53 AM
My prayers are with your Mother...

journyman161
31st March 2007, 04:52 AM
The most common reason for back pain is when the spine & hips go out of alignment. Here's a simple check to see if that's the case for your mother.

Get her to stand in front of a mirror that lets her see her whole body. With eyes closed, she should try to stand as straight as possible based on how her body 'feels' from the inside.

With eyes still closed, she puts a fingertip on the point of each hip bone, making an effort to get the same spot on each. The point is the top & front of the bone.

Now, without moving from the 'straight' position, she opens her eyes & looks at her fingers. If one is forward of the other, or higher than the other, the spine & hips are misaligned & need to be aligned to relieve the pain.

The way to do that is, laying down, place a pillow under the top of one leg (top of the thigh) & another pillow under the hip bone. Laying on her back, the pillow under the thigh goes on the side that the finger was higher and/or forward. the pillow under the hip bone goes to the side where the finger was lower and/or back.

30 seconds is enough, then some walking around & then check the hips in front of the mirror again. By manipulating the hips in this way it gently maneuvers the spine into place.

You can PM me for more info if this isn't clear.

Beekeeper
31st March 2007, 07:22 AM
I too will pray for your mum.

As a sufferer of a congenital spinal defect, I found my relief in hatha yoga. A good yoga teacher is really gentle and considerate of beginners with back problems and I've seen really incapacitated people continue with classes because they find such relief. It realigns as well as stretching muscle groups.

CFTraveler
31st March 2007, 03:23 PM
I hesistated to say this, but part of my treatment were doing some hatha yoga positions, especially the cobra. I do this and a couple of variations of it when my back starts to act up and it makes the pain go away rather quickly.
Thanks, Beekeper.

Lilac
5th April 2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks, everyone! She feels a lot better now.
Journyman, she tried the mirror check and everything seems to be aligned properly. But thank you for the advice, I'd bet this information might come in handy in the future.

Once again, thanks to all. =)

Dialgo
6th April 2007, 12:50 AM
Journyman, she tried the mirror check and everything seems to be aligned properly. But thank you for the advice, I'd bet this information might come in handy in the future.

Yay, great to hear good news! :)

9th April 2007, 01:07 AM

Fantastic!!