PDA

View Full Version : Night/Day time in dreams

hasalameth
4th April 2007, 08:48 PM
This subject just popped into a conversation I had with my dear friend (who just registered here btw!). My dreams seem to always, at least 90% of them, be set in the night, the only exception being dreams about school because I've rearly been (whoa the lamp beside me just stopped working, that's the 2nd time that happens this week, it's almost pitch dark here now lol) to school during the nighttime and I guess my subconscious is programmed that way, School = Day time, Rest = Night time. This is pretty odd, don't ya think? My friend said he rarely dreams of nighttime... :? There's also another exception of course, those strange dreams where it's daylight-ish but no sun in the sky and the light seems to be coming from, well, nowhere, it's just there, but I think these can be dreams closer to the spontaneous OBE kind.

So, are your dreams set in a night time surrounding or in day time?

Note: I'm very nocturnal in my waking life, having a tendency to easily shift over to a nocturnal dayrythm, even though I've never fully tried it, I sleep and work and study the same hours all people do, so this shouldn't affect the programming of my dreams. Weird huh?

CFTraveler
4th April 2007, 08:56 PM
I find that my dreams mostly occur in the daytime, and my projections either at night or at daybreak (which makes sense, because I usually project right before dawn). I don't consider myself diurnal (I'd love to go to sleep late and sleep all morning) but my dreams are usually at daylight, or lighted (as you described above).

Dialgo
5th April 2007, 02:27 PM
A good portion of my dreams are set in both day and night...then some are contain both day and night. We've been studying dreams/sleep in my psychobiology class...I really love that class! Im thinking of doing a undergrad study this summer involving EEG's on waking and sleeping people. Sleep/dreaming just fascinates me, because no one knows why we have to dream...and when we don't because of drugs or lack of REM sleep we become extremely irritable, and when we finally do get a chance to get REM sleep again we make up for the REM sleep we missed...somehow our "brain" keeps track of that.

Dragonlor
5th April 2007, 04:57 PM
I never really thought about it before. The time of day of in my dreams depends on what the current plot of the dream is. Say I'm in a haunted house...it's going to be night time. If I'm out in the wilderness it's generally daytime. A lot of my dreams though tend to take place indoors, so I don't really notice all of the time. On occasion during the course of a dream it'll start as say daytime and progress to night and then to day and then night as time passes.

hasalameth
5th April 2007, 09:56 PM
I just had a few more dreams, all in night time tonight. It's pretty freaky when I actually think about it, it's as if my subconscious mind thinks I'm constantly living on the dark side of earth, always! I was dreaming I had a job meeting, nighttime, I was chased by a wolf and a bear, night time, I had a fight with my ex, night time etc etc. I'm gonna start noting the time of the day in my dream journal. Anyone else? Am I the only one?

As I said, I really do feel "at home" in the night, I seem to come alive and the way my mind functions changes somewhat, from being a very typical "chatter" mind during the day, thinking about this and that and all daily stuff, from around 9pm and onwards, it's more of an err, "part of the universe" mind, where I see all the connections between everything, and the small issues of day-to-day life fade away and stop bothering me, while I tend to focus on bigger picture problems and goals.

During the small hours is when I'm most active mentally. It's strange, it's almost like I'm a robot, around 2-3am, some trigger goes off inside of me and I start thinking in philosophical terms and a lot of interesting theories are worked out by my mind, aswell as good music is composed and good poems and other texts, then around 4:30am, it fades away and with the first rays of the sun, I seem to greet the beautiful day ahead of me, and then go to sleep, calmer than ever. I'm rarely awake during these hours, especially if I have to go to school or work, but during the spring time and summer time, I seem to prefer nocturnal living. I guess this is something rooted deep within me, so why not my dreams, which are some of the most intimate places of my soul and mind? comments?

faerylight
6th April 2007, 04:08 AM
My dreams are almost always at night. Don't remember the last time I had a dream with daytime as the backdrop.

hasalameth
6th April 2007, 01:35 PM
good, I'm no outcast then! :)

alhaalim
8th April 2007, 09:09 AM
i am the dear friend, to whom hasalameth talked, about day vs. nighttime dreams.
as he already said, most of my dreams are during the day but of course i sometimes dream about stuf taking place during the night as well.
i have always been good at remembering dreams and right now, i remember around 3 to 4 dreams per night and at least one of them takes place during the early morning, i.e. 3-5 a.m. and those dreams are actually a little more "mystical" than my "day-time dreams".

but to be honest, i prefer the day-time dreams seeing as everything is brighter and so much more full of life and i always wake up extremely happy afterwards :)

Beekeeper
8th April 2007, 09:35 AM
Every so often I get a run on night dreams. I'm not sure why. I'll be walking along outside at work and wondering why it's night. I get close to lucid in these dreams. Maybe I should do reality checks whenever it's dark.

Hasalameth, if you're popping lightbulbs/affecting electricity you need to do some grounding.

hasalameth
8th April 2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah, my sudden strong third eye activity also suggests that I need more grounding, but I've been walking through the forests and doing my personal grounding techniques and it seemed to have helped.

alhaalim, I know, it's as if that part of the night is when our ancestors tune us in and own our asses with messages.. :)

that's the strange part, how most people I've talked to usually have their night mares set in night time, or find it strange when they're dreaming in the night... I always do that! :roll: actually some of my nightmares are set in daytime. anyhow, on my way to you now alhaalim, can't write anymore for now.

alhaalim
8th April 2007, 12:57 PM
you speak true my dear hasalameth.

my nightmares are actually also more often in daytime or (when i was younger) just in a black hollow place, kind of scary :P

and i will make my avatar smaller, i'm just waiting for the website to load, don't worry :P