PDA

View Full Version : BWGen works without phones

Irina
19th April 2007, 10:24 AM
Hey everyone,

Last night I left a lucid dreaming preset playing through my computer speaker and it did induce lucidity pretty well. Anyone has an idea if it is safe using BWGen this way?

CFTraveler
19th April 2007, 03:16 PM
It should be safe but not effective. The purpose of the BWGen is to introduce different tones in each ear, to produce entrainment of the brain hemispheres. When you play it in an open space, the tones get mixed and don't produce that entrainment. At this point it's just noise(or music), that's all.

Korpo
19th April 2007, 04:56 PM
There are systems that state they do no longer need headphones. I cannot guarantee for their effectivity though.

Oliver

CFTraveler
20th April 2007, 12:52 AM
I most often use the 'listening to my own ear hiss' method. I believe this does cause some sort of entrainment, not in a hemi-synchronization sort of way, but in a biofeedback kind of way, so to speak. :D

Tom
20th April 2007, 01:06 AM
The types that don't need headphones are monaural beats and isochronic beats. Transparent Corp. makes a program (Neuro Programmer 2) which can create all three kinds including the usual binaurals.

Irina
20th April 2007, 07:27 AM
Hi, thanks for comments from everyone.
I’m aware how binaurals are created, I still think that BWGen sound had to do with my lucid state. I made the pattern with frequency going up and down from 3 to 10 Hz about every five minutes (idea from online) and while dreaming heard it playing in the background. In short intervals, apparently when the frequency went up to 10, I heard loud jingles which made me lucid (though none heard if playing the preset while awake). I didn’t use phones cause I took pains trying to adjust my sound card right and couldn’t – I’m getting a noise from the left phone in the right (in addition to what’s supposed to come from the right phone) and visa versa while testing the sound. I tried using the phones as that but unsuccessfully. I’m thinking to get a phone-free system anyway cause I don’t find it comfortable to sleep with them on too. Will try it again without phones tonight and see if it was accidental.

Korpo
20th April 2007, 08:04 AM
To get cues inside dreams from audio signals does not require synchronisation effects. The rise of frequency may be enough to give you the lucidity cue when you expect it. Some people tried this with simply putting a chime or a gong on tape in intervals they expected the REM phases to be, before hemi-sync etc. were used for this. I remember at least one dream recall book advising to do it.

Tom is right, I meant that, but I have not tried it extensively. This is the only reason I cannot endorse it.

Oliver