PDA

View Full Version : Cool Stuff

CFTraveler
8th May 2007, 03:49 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns? ... 524911.600 (http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18524911.600)

hasalameth
8th May 2007, 08:15 PM
Very! Some people look down upon NewScientist, but I appreciate their articles.

blacktiger057
8th May 2007, 08:20 PM
This is neat, although half of it I didn't understand. I should've looked at the title more clearly: 13 things that do not make sense. :lol: Interesting, CF.

hasalameth
8th May 2007, 08:40 PM
Yeah blacktiger, even I, the "language pro" couldn't make any sense of many words, but I do have some "favourites" on the list:

3 Ultra-energetic cosmic rays

FOR more than a decade, physicists in Japan have been seeing cosmic rays that should not exist. Cosmic rays are particles - mostly protons but sometimes heavy atomic nuclei - that travel through the universe at close to the speed of light. Some cosmic rays detected on Earth are produced in violent events such as supernovae, but we still don't know the origins of the highest-energy particles, which are the most energetic particles ever seen in nature.

(...)

5 Dark matter

TAKE our best understanding of gravity, apply it to the way galaxies spin, and you'll quickly see the problem: the galaxies should be falling apart. Galactic matter orbits around a central point because its mutual gravitational attraction creates centripetal forces. But there is not enough mass in the galaxies to produce the observed spin.

(...)

9 Dark energy

IT IS one of the most famous, and most embarrassing, problems in physics. In 1998, astronomers discovered that the universe is expanding at ever faster speeds. It's an effect still searching for a cause - until then, everyone thought the universe's expansion was slowing down after the big bang. "Theorists are still floundering around, looking for a sensible explanation," says cosmologist Katherine Freese of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. "We're all hoping that upcoming observations of supernovae, of clusters of galaxies and so on will give us more clues."

One suggestion is that some property of empty space is responsible - cosmologists call it dark energy. But all attempts to pin it down have fallen woefully short. It's also possible that Einstein's theory of general relativity may need to be tweaked when applied to the very largest scales of the universe. "The field is still wide open," Freese says.

(...)

11 The Wow signal

IT WAS 37 seconds long and came from outer space. On 15 August 1977 it caused astronomer Jerry Ehman, then of Ohio State University in Columbus, to scrawl "Wow!" on the printout from Big Ear, Ohio State's radio telescope in Delaware. And 28 years later no one knows what created the signal. "I am still waiting for a definitive explanation that makes sense," Ehman says.

Coming from the direction of Sagittarius, the pulse of radiation was confined to a narrow range of radio frequencies around 1420 megahertz. This frequency is in a part of the radio spectrum in which all transmissions are prohibited by international agreement. Natural sources of radiation, such as the thermal emissions from planets, usually cover a much broader sweep of frequencies. So what caused it?

The nearest star in that direction is 220 light years away. If that is where is came from, it would have had to be a pretty powerful astronomical event - or an advanced alien civilisation using an astonishingly large and powerful transmitter.

(...)

13 Cold fusion

AFTER 16 years, it's back. In fact, cold fusion never really went away. Over a 10-year period from 1989, US navy labs ran more than 200 experiments to investigate whether nuclear reactions generating more energy than they consume - supposedly only possible inside stars - can occur at room temperature. Numerous researchers have since pronounced themselves believers.

With controllable cold fusion, many of the world's energy problems would melt away: no wonder the US Department of Energy is interested. In December, after a lengthy review of the evidence, it said it was open to receiving proposals for new cold fusion experiments.

I just love l'Espace. Thanks CFT for this, and it's quite a cool coincidence we both posted spaced-out-space (well mostly) links the same day! :P (I am talking about this thread (http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?p=59872#59872))

My opinions:

*It's hilarious how little mankind actually knows, about anything! The "solution" to most of the stuff we don't understand or that doesn't fint into our "theories", is to just throw away the old flawed theories and again create new ones, that in turn will create other problems... We humans are so adorable in away, running around trying to grasp everything around us but just get lost on the way lol...
*Go ALIENS!
*Go astrosexuality!! ;)