PDA

View Full Version : drumming...

Zak
11th June 2007, 03:05 PM
Anyone experienced shamanic rumming or even regular drumming as altering your state of consciousness?

I am a drummer and whenever I play I o into an altered state but it's usually an energized one.

I've never had someone play a drum over me shamanically but I've listened to a recording and it's quite nice. something about the beat makes you go into yourself, depends on the speed and rhythm too though.

Tom
11th June 2007, 03:18 PM
Although I also have a recording that I bought, I haven't actually done anything with it. It is of the sort of shamanic drumming you are talking about. It has both a single drummer for half the CD and a pair of drummers on the other half of the CD with the drumming that signals time to come back. The trouble was that I didn't really get what I was supposed to do with it.

Zak
11th June 2007, 09:07 PM
Hahaha, that's neat that's like the one someone lent me!

I didnt find it did much except make me relax.

I can see it bing more impactful in real life. I've been present in a room while someone had it being done to them and I was aiding in the healing but never on me directly. Just feeling the vibration in the room was enough to feel how strong it was though.

Sound and intention in healing is uite powerful... something I am exploring more and more...

Korpo
11th June 2007, 09:11 PM
Isn't the thing that makes it work for tranceing either to actually drum yourself or dance with the rhythm?

Oliver

Zak
12th June 2007, 02:07 AM
yeah, I think some rhythms can create like an internal dance if you are relaxed... Never experienced it though except to music on a cd.

Korpo
12th June 2007, 04:42 AM
"internal dance"? Like sitting on your bum and letting the liver do the twostep? :lol:

I actually meant getting up and start some real workout. In the movies they dance till half-crazed. Okay, that's Hollywood to you... ;)

Oliver

CFTraveler
12th June 2007, 04:43 PM
Actually, in Santeria this is how they get into trance- they dance to the drumming for hours and hours until the shaman (or person who wants to channel the deity) gets 'possessed' by the deity and says whatever the group is waiting for or asking for. This is called 'se le trepo el santo' (The saint (deity) climbed on his/her head. I've done a little of that type of dancing but not long enough. But you can feel a sort of power emanating from the dancers.

Zak
12th June 2007, 09:11 PM
Ah trance dancing, yes that's the oposite end of the spectrum although similar as it involves altered sttes. But in a way doesn't all music cause an atered state? Sometimes its just not for the best intentions :wink:

I guess today's underground electronic music scenes or raves are bringing back that essence of completely free dancing where everyone just lets loose. Afew of my friends are dj's and sometimes organize small parties and they go all night. Tiring but a lot of fun.

Su
13th June 2007, 12:32 AM
Anyone experienced shamanic rumming or even regular drumming as altering your state of consciousness?

I am a drummer and whenever I play I o into an altered state but it's usually an energized one.

I've never had someone play a drum over me shamanically but I've listened to a recording and it's quite nice. something about the beat makes you go into yourself, depends on the speed and rhythm too though.
On 01 May went to bed and have hurd drumming and chanting. Every time my mind was empty it started. Spent a night multiplayng numbers, adding and dividing, but no sllep at all. :lol: Not drumming like indian, their is two eqall, third stillyer and fourth is kick. "Mine" was on two, one stronger, louder and the other more quieter and sort of little deeper in tonality. Followed with some sort of chanting, just "A,A,A,A,A,A...."In one tone, the singer was skillfull, menaged to keep singing while inhaling, it all sounded wery ancient. It annoyed me so much that I broke up roow food diet :lol:

Zak:"yeah, I think some rhythms can create like an internal dance if you are relaxed... Never experienced it though except to music on a cd."

I can connect to a ritham, but to a person too. If I don't like music but I know and lowe a DJ, the fact that music is terrible and actualy anoyng in any other sucombstances, doesn't disturb me at all. He is happy, he inyojs it, so I switch to him and his feelings, works like a charm.
Wouldn't survive othervise, my son and his friends are DJ-s, would turn crazy and dump 'em out a house long time ago:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: