PDA

View Full Version : Phonophobia

Chris_com28
17th July 2007, 04:13 PM
I've only just found a name for it and so haven't found much information on it yet. This is the only thing I've found designed to cure it. What does everyone else here think about it? I don't have that much money but I could posibly try it out.

Link removed as per "20 post" rule. --PH

Tom
17th July 2007, 04:29 PM
Before you drop $150 on this web site, maybe you might want to try EFT?

http://www.emofree.com/

It is supposed to be fast and effective. The best part is that since you have something so specific you can test it with, the free material is probably going to be enough to do the job.

CFTraveler
17th July 2007, 05:23 PM
You have phonophobia?

Excerpted from:
Components of decreased sound tolerance : hyperacusis, misophonia, phonophobia.
Margaret M. Jastreboff, Ph.D. and Pawel J. Jastreboff, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Decreased sound tolerance includes more than one phenomenon. In the past, we have used two terms: Hyperacusis to describe patients experiencing discomfort to sound resulting from abnormally high activation of the auditory system. Phonophobia was used for patients expressing a fear of certain sounds, or all sounds and resulting from abnormal activation of the limbic and autonomic nervous systems.

Clinical observations reveal that in many cases, decreased sound tolerance consists of more that one problem. It is not necessarily loud sounds, but even quiet sounds, which can cause discomfort. Decreased sound tolerance might reflect a physical discomfort, or can be related to a dislike or a fear of sound.

Hyperacusis can be defined as an abnormally strong reaction to sound occurring within the auditory pathways. At the behavioral level, it is manifested by a patient experiencing physical discomfort as a result of exposure to sound (quiet, medium or loud). The same sound would not evoke a similar reaction in the average listener. The strength of the reaction is controlled by the physical characteristics of the sound, e.g., its spectrum and intensity.

Misophonia and phonophobia can be defined as abnormally strong reactions of the autonomic and limbic systems resulting from enhanced connections between the auditory and limbic systems. Importantly, misophonia and phonophobia do not involve a significant activation of the auditory system. At the behavioral level, patients have a negative attitude to sound (misophonia), or are afraid of sound (phonophobia). In cases of misophonia and phonophobia, the strength of the patient’s reaction is only partially determined by the physical characteristics of the upsetting sound. It is also dependent on the patient’s previous evaluation and recollection of the sound (e.g., sound as a potential threat, and/or the belief that the sound can be harmful), the patient’s psychological profile and the context in which the sound is presented.

Medical conditions previously linked to decreased sound tolerance include: tinnitus, Bell’s palsy, Lyme Disease, Williams Syndrome, Ramsay Hunt Syndrome, stapedectomy, perilymphatic fistula, head injury, migraine, depression, withdrawal from benzodiazepines, increased Cerebral Spinal Fluid (CSF) pressure and Addison’s disease.

Most frequently, significantly decreased sound tolerance results from a combination of hyperacusis and misophonia/phonophobia.
While there is no clearly accepted consensus method for the evaluation of decreased sound tolerance, there appears to be general agreement that loudness discomfort levels (LDLs) provide a reasonable estimation of the problem.
http://www.tinnitus.org/home/frame/DST_NL2_PJMJ.pdf

Chris_com28
17th July 2007, 05:24 PM
I've heard about it before. I'll try and give it a go. Thanks for the link. I'll write back about how it went.

[You need to have 20 posts to have links in your posts] If anyone wants it they can pm you.-Admin notice

Chris_com28
17th July 2007, 06:40 PM
Well form the article you just sublimtted it seems misophonia is more appropriate. Though I'm not sure how well my condition fits in with this description. It's independant of volume level. It can be really quite and still invoke a disturbing reacting in me, though I am believed to have quite sensitive hearing. I can barely hear it sometimes but it still attacks me.
Im sure the tone or frequency of the voice is what carries the strength in it. It's also something I've only had for a few years. I created it myself as I have OCD and was experiencing a lot of stress living at home. I'm sure you get the picture now. This is all starting to get a bit emotional so I'll leave it for now.
Thanks for the links. Can't wait till my 20th post comes along. This probation is getting really annoying.

CFTraveler
17th July 2007, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry but if you saw the amount of spam we delete daily you'd be amazed.
I have something similar to the misophonia- in my case a change in noise level is so annoying that it can be distracting to the point of causing rage in me. If I hear Bass music I get the urge to go kill whoever is riding around in the car unmindful of other people's sensibilities. :shock: :lol: . I don't mind persistent noises, like a fan or a white noise machine, but any sudden noise gets on my last nerve in a second. I now sleep with earplugs because my husband's snoring makes me crazy. I mean crazy. The good news is that getting used to earplugs means that I can sleep in a hotel room while everyone else wakes up from the random noises you hear in a hotel room.

If your OCD is the cause of your misophonia, do you have the ability to manipulate it and channel into something else? Have you thought of the possibility of doing it?

Chris_com28
19th July 2007, 01:56 PM
That sort of reminds me of what I read about intermitent noises which seem fairly similar to your problem. They've been shown to be more annyoing than constant noises, possibly due to the fact that constant noises are more predictable so you can block it out.
Though another study has shown that long-term meditation can lower your GSR response to intimitent stimuli.
I've always had a problem with intermitent stimuli. Even wind screen wippers at intermitent setting annoy me. Though I some how manage to block it out and actually forget they're on.

Chris_com28
20th July 2007, 02:02 PM
If your OCD is the cause of your misophonia, do you have the ability to manipulate it and channel into something else? Have you thought of the possibility of doing it?
I've thought about it. There is always a good side to something like this. It's always about focusing on the good aspects of a condition. I think with OCD if you channel it into obessive positive thinking it could work well for you. Maybe if I find a mantra that works well. Though it's hard to change your old way of thinking and creating new thoughts.

I've been doing EFT. I haven't noticed much yet I'll keep doing it a few more times. I had an acu pen a while ago. I've lost it now but it wasn't working well anyway, maybe it was low on batteries. I'll buy a new one anyway if I have enough money.

Mishell
20th July 2007, 03:03 PM
I like EFT, and use it on myself, but the only thing I would consider a problem with it is trying to find the proper affermation. This takes some trial and error, always "analyzing" the problem to get to the true root.

Chris_com28
21st July 2007, 09:07 PM
Could you give us an example about this Mishell? I thought one of my problems could be giving enough focus on my affirmation. Plus I'm wondering if my taps are close enough to the acutal points.

Mishell
21st July 2007, 09:40 PM
One of my problems I broke down into 2 affirmations, having to do with the inability to cry and holding my emotions in. I did the full sequence on my inability to cry. Not much happened, but I felt a little bit "lighter" I guess you could say. I did the next sequence on holding my emotions in. When I was done I burst into tears and said I feel like such a failure! The words shocked me even as they were coming out of my mouth. The true problem was that I feel like a failure. So, I did the sequence again with the newly discovered problem as the basis for the affirmation. You need to remember to use the reminder phrase throughout the entire sequence. This is important.

I always feel a sensation like energy is being released when I tap on the correct spots. I don't know how else to describe that to you. There is a video on the website http://www.emofree.com/. I don't know if they show the correct tapping points or not, my computer won't play the video for some reason. I don't know how you got into EFT, but on that website you can print off a manual. I thought it explained things pretty well.

paker7
21st July 2007, 09:42 PM
[You need to have 20 posts to have links in your posts] If anyone wants it they can pm you.-Admin notice[/quote]

Hey Admin !
This mod might make your life easier:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=464628 (http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=464628)

From a fellow phpbb admin hehehe.

(Sorry to OP for OT)

Chris_com28
22nd July 2007, 04:23 PM
No problem with the OT.
I sort of unserstand what you mean now by the right affirmation. So you had a subconscious affirmation that was causing you to withhold your emotions in, but I'm not sure how that caused you to hold them in. I guess the right affirmation is important then. I just need to find the right one for me. I'm having CBT every week, the therapist should be able to help me find the right affirmation based. The whole therapy is sort of similar to EFT aswell, at least the affirmation part of it.

I sort of know what you mean by tapping the right points. I sort of get this feeling that I've tapped the right stop but I'm still not sure.

Chris_com28
25th July 2007, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure EFT has been working much. I felt using mantras helped a bit though. I found them on mantra-meditation.org and played them to me when I fell asleep. I'll try the EFT again soon aswell.

Chris_com28
26th August 2007, 03:59 PM
So how long should it take for EFT to work? I've tried it quite a few times with no noticable effect at all.
I thought about doing biofeedback and have spoken with someone about recording their voice for stimuli. Does anyone here know if it would help much? I think it helped when someone I live with kept slamming his door (he has OCD). It actually felt a bit karmic as I only had about about one session and when I learned to cope with it he stopped it. Has anyone else managed to cope better with phonophobia with biofeedback? I can't seem find anyone about it on Google.

Mishell
26th August 2007, 11:45 PM
So how long should it take for EFT to work?

I have noticed it is different for every problem. Sometimes I feel immediate results. Last night I had a really bad headache, did EFT on it and it took almost an hour to go away. (But an hour was better than the week it would have taken without using EFT. :wink: )

Chris_com28
27th August 2007, 04:33 PM
An hour? I haven't even come close to that. Maybe I'll do that one night. It's going to take at least a few days before I get the stimuli and my heart is becoming even more blocked.
I read you can also do a chakra clearing with EFT. I should have some time tonight. I'll see if I can make it work this time.

Mishell
27th August 2007, 06:48 PM
The biggest obstacle to overcome is doubt. Just know that it will work and it will. :wink:

I wish you the best. :D