PDA

View Full Version : Breathing in energy work ?

Louise43
9th August 2007, 12:46 PM
I have been doing a fair bit of energy work of late using the MAP CD. When I am bouncing energy I find the only way I can do it is to sync it with my breathing which means as you do it faster my breathing gets faster. So on an in breath I pull it up and on the out push it back down. Is this ideal or should I seperate if from my breathing (not sure if I could) and keep my breathing slow and steady? What do people here do?

Lou

Korpo
9th August 2007, 01:01 PM
I think you are just having a trained reflex - and that can be untrained again. Takes some effort though.

It is surely not the intention of energy work to make you hyperventilate. ;) So I would separate bouncing from breathing.

Breathing can reinforce energy work, and in case of energy raising it makes sense to couple it. Often energy circulation is also coupled with a breathing pattern.

But your energy work needs not to be sync-ed with breathing, especially not if that gives you problems. Either bounce slower and slower, or untrain the reflex, I'd say.

Oliver

Mishell
9th August 2007, 01:11 PM
Lou said

I find the only way I can do it is to sync it with my breathing which means as you do it faster my breathing gets faster.

This is what happened when I started bouncing energy. It got uncomfortable. I started stretching out my breathing, fitting 2 or more "energy bounces" in one breath. Be sure you breathe from your diaphragm and not just your chest. It will become comfortable and natural. Pretty soon you will lose track of the breathing and will be able to focus just on the energy moving.

Hope it helps.

Korpo
9th August 2007, 01:21 PM
Be sure you breathe from your diaphragm and not just your chest. It will become comfortable and natural.

That's good advice. :D

To ensure you are not breathing "flatly", but deeply, make sure your diaphragm moves enough during breathing. Abdominal breathing is the process of pulling down the diaphragm by expanding the belly during the in-breath. This ensures deeper, smoother, more oxygen-rich and relaxing breathing.

Make sure you do not overdo the abdominal part, else you strain instead of relax. Expand on inhale only as much as feels really comfortable. It helps relaxation quite a lot if you for example focus on the belly expanding and contracting, or on the abdominal muscles themselves, or on the air in- and exhaled.

Oliver

ButterflyWoman
9th August 2007, 01:49 PM
I had the same problem for a while, but then I started to alter the rhythm of the bouncing. So instead of being one bounce to one breath, I'd make it two or three or four (etc) bounces per breath. Just like beats the the bar. :)

Flash_hound
9th August 2007, 03:24 PM
I stop breathing and let myself bounce really quickly and then start breathing again so that the bounce leaves the rhythm of my breathing.

Mishell
9th August 2007, 04:00 PM
Dude, you gotta breathe! :lol:

Flash_hound
9th August 2007, 05:42 PM
Haha, thanks mishell you just saved me from myself :wink: .

Mishell
9th August 2007, 07:19 PM
:lol: :lol:

always trying to help

Louise43
10th August 2007, 08:33 AM
I think you are just having a trained reflex - and that can be untrained again. Takes some effort though.

I think your right Oliver...years of Yoga mean i tend to sync breathing with a movement, be it a physical one or an energy one.

Fitting more than one bounce per breath as mentioned by a couple of people sounds do-able though, so I'll give that a go.

I'm also trying to just notice things. One thing I've noticed is I hold a lot of tension in my shoulders and I felt a small pocket of tension at the top of my right leg. Would these be energy blockages?

Lou

Korpo
10th August 2007, 08:50 AM
I'm also trying to just notice things. One thing I've noticed is I hold a lot of tension in my shoulders and I felt a small pocket of tension at the top of my right leg. Would these be energy blockages?

Hello, Lou.

Tension and blockage are practically synonyms. :)

The shoulders are typically where we "wear the burden of the world". Typical stress-storage places in your body are shoulder, neck, jaw.

Oliver

0range
13th August 2007, 05:48 PM
i tend to have a problem where I need to control my breath, i can't just let my breath go. it causes some tension in my throat and stomach when i breath out all the air and it feels like i'm underwater and must breath. so energy work is tough since i'm doing 2 things at once. also this is interfering with my trance state. does anyone have any advice for this? :x

btw i breath with my belly and it expands out and down, this is i read the correct way to breath

CFTraveler
13th August 2007, 05:53 PM
Then use it for mind taming. If you've got your total attention on your breath, this is keeping you from having verbal thoughts, and this is a good thing.

also this is interfering with my trance state In what way?

Korpo
13th August 2007, 06:06 PM
Why do you think you need to press out all your breath like that? Breath out as much as is comfortable. That's enough.

In the long run if something is tense it should loosen, but give it time. :)

Oliver

0range
13th August 2007, 10:13 PM
In what way?

because while i'm trying to do the falling down technique, at the same time i have to control my breath. yes i can clear my mind very easily now, but now i can't seem to let my breath just be.

i hope that in time the tension goes away and i can enter trance.. but i'm eager to start doing energy work in trance state :x haha

Korpo
13th August 2007, 10:20 PM
You are correct on abdominal breathing, it is the way to go. How do you observe your breath?

You know, observing your breath is a good way for entering a trance. Do not force the breath, observe it, stay with it. I find it very relaxing and trance-inducing to watch my abdominal muscles go in and out with breath. It is so relaxing you have to watch out you don't fall straight asleep.

However, anything that can send you to sleep can also induce a trance... The key is not forcing anything, but to let go. You cannot force yourself into a trance, and fixating on a technique is not the way to go either. Drop what does not work and switch technique until something works.

What worked for me? Monroe Focus 10 tapes, also the post-hypnotic cues given when entraining Focus 10. So I did count myself into Focus 10 without a Monroe tape later on because of the entrainment effect. I could do that anywhere, sometimes in really deep trances even in a public location like on a train.

Breathing troubles could be sorted out separately as well, while not trying to get everything right at once. If you train the elements seperately to a good degree of skill, assembling them into a combined exercise is easier.

Oliver

0range
14th August 2007, 05:22 PM
thank you Oliver.

i observe my breath by feeling it enter my nose and go down my throat and into my lungs. like an inner awareness. i see what you're saying about trying different techniques, ill see what works best for me. as for the breath, i'm sure in time i will be able to let go. since i started, i'm able to stay in the 'inbetween breaths moments' for longer periods of time without gettin tension, so that is definetely improvement