PDA

View Full Version : is OBE addictive?

rtky
23rd August 2007, 09:07 AM
Question: is OBE addictive?

I mean OBE gives us the opportunity to visit other interesting worlds, which, I am guessing (as I have not had concious OBE yet), could be considered for many reasons better places to be. (apologies for simplistic description)

Once you start, do you feel you want to do it more and more?
Do you feel you don't want to come back to this world?

Robert

CFTraveler
23rd August 2007, 01:53 PM
Question: is OBE addictive? Not as much as you'd think.

I mean OBE gives us the opportunity to visit other interesting worlds, which, I am guessing (as I have not had concious OBE yet), could be considered for many reasons better places to be. (apologies for simplistic description) Not always better. You can also OBE to hellish realms, so the experience is more varied.

Once you start, do you feel you want to do it more and more? You do at first but it tapers off, and then it's just one more place you can go, one more experience you can have.

Do you feel you don't want to come back to this world?
Robert Not really. I have never not wanted not to come back. Plus there is no real choice in the matter, anyway.

rtky
23rd August 2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks CFT. I was kind of expecting these answers.
If OBE world was a better one, there would few people left to teach us about it.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I would like to hear from others too.

By the way, how long is the average (or max) time of OBEing.

CFTraveler
23rd August 2007, 04:13 PM
It depends. The longest OBE I've ever had was about 2 hours. But generally 20 to 30 mins. is the average for me.

Mishell
23rd August 2007, 04:32 PM
By the way, how long is the average (or max) time of OBEing.

My first OBE was 6 minutes. My average seems to be 10-20 minutes. Longest was 1 hour. (This has happened a few times.)

[quote:1h8t838i]Once you start, do you feel you want to do it more and more?
You do at first but it tapers off, and then it's just one more place you can go, one more experience you can have. [/quote:1h8t838i]

When I first started, I wanted to do it every day. I found that being out of body (in the astral realms) provided me with a wonderful surge of energy. It seemed to improve my overall health. I began incorporating astral projection into my meditation sessions.

My “problem” became the astral wind. I kept being taken to the same place. Not a bad place, but… long story. I had to ask my guide to please stop taking me there, and if I went, then please stop making me remember what I saw. This worked. So far, all this month, every time I have had an OBE, I either don’t remember it or I go to a place that is totally blank and empty. This is fine with me. I still get the benefits of being out-of-body, and have none of the “side-effects” of seeing what I was seeing in the place the astral wind always dropped me off.

rtky
24th August 2007, 08:26 AM
Thanks Mishell.

BTW, what forces you to come back?
Is the ability to have longer OBEs related to development of our energy body to store/channel more energy? Or in other words, what determines the duration of OBE?

It seemed to improve my overall health

That is interesting. Kind of expected. I guess as we develop energy body, overall energy flow improves, which I believe has positive impact.

Did OBEs helped your clairvoyance skills?

Mishell
24th August 2007, 12:34 PM
Did OBEs helped your clairvoyance skills?

I have not noticed a difference. They were pretty good to start off with. :lol: Now that I think about it though, some of my other not-so-developed "clairs" have improved. Hmm? 8)

rapidlearner
24th August 2007, 03:53 PM
When first started to try an induce an OBE I spent, well lets just say, a LOT of time trying to achieve one. When I did, I was blown away. Then I tried and tried and tried until I had another. Then I had a few sponatneous ones.

I have this problem at the moment, where I'm out and don't know what to do next. I kind of float around a bit trying to think of the list of things that I had in mind. And by the time I think of one I don't know how to do it and I get frustrated (I couldn't go through walls one day) or I start reminding myself not to think of my physical body. Which makes me do exactly that! I still get a little nervous... Like the other day I was about to go through a mirror, I put my hand through but then I pulled out, thinking I might not come out. Strange that cause I know absolutly nothing can happen as extreme as that... But at the time I was aprehensive.

I don't think I've ever been out for longer than 5 minutes.

When I've just had an OBE, I'm convinced that it was real... As real as I'm sitting here wrtiting this. But as time passes, I have this internal struggle as to whether it was just a dream of an OBE! The Jury still out.

rtky
27th August 2007, 02:06 PM
[quote:dqd02sjh]Once you start, do you feel you want to do it more and more? You do at first but it tapers off, and then it's just one more place you can go, one more experience you can have.[/quote:dqd02sjh]

CFT, your comment surprized me a little. well, I guess you could be right. It happens that the fascination with anything tapers off with time. Although OBE seems such an interesting experience to me, that ....
anyway, i'd better stop hypotesizing and practice more to achieve the experience myself

kiwibonga
27th August 2007, 10:54 PM
My take on it might seem a bit pessimistic... But here goes...

Do you play video games? You know how boring it is to play a game with infinite lives and all the best weapons and whatnot? It's fun to get back at those enemies that caused you to die so many times, but it won't really keep you entertained for long... It's only fun when it's at least a bit challenging.

In much the same way... It's hard to fulfill your desires when the whole basis for acting in dream world is realizing that nothing around you is "real"; that no matter what you do, it won't have a lasting impact... It'll just be an artificial manner to make yourself happy for a few seconds... After a while, it's just the same old stuff... And you start to realize that the experiences, however vivid and transcendental, are just not that fulfilling.

If you have an interest in researching OBEs or accomplishing psychic feats, though, it can be a good incentive to go out there... One of my incentives is to find new techniques and ideas and write them on message boards... But it's still a bit disappointing, especially as a beginner... More often than not, you'll end up in a weird fantasy world that just won't remain stable...

Overall, there has been much more frustration than fun, that's why I just let them happen randomly now rather than trying to induce them... Plain old unconscious dreams tend to be just as fulfilling, if not more fulfilling...

That's right, I'm a depressed astral wash up :p