PDA

View Full Version : How does Hypnosis relate to Energy Work and AP?

Three_Nails
24th August 2007, 07:10 PM
I watched this mentalist "Wayne Hoffman". He was cool and used alot of hypnosis. I noticed as he went about this performance he used alot of mental imagrey and visualisation techniques, constantly telling the subjects on stage to "Imagine" things. It was almost like he was walking them through energy raising.

I have also seen alot of hypnosis videos like this. I have also seen people like Criss Angel put someone in a seemingly endless state of relaxation just by telling them they where such. It seems to me that this could be used to help others learn AP and meditation? Perhaps a mix of self hypnosis...

Korpo
24th August 2007, 07:15 PM
Charles Tart, the parapsychological researcher, seems to have induced OBE or phasing experiences by hypnosis. He had a couple as test subjects who mutually hypnotized each other, and then went into a different reality of their own. He could question them and they could tell of it, but they seemed to have passed into another reality.

Another of his test subjects was extremely hypnotizable. He could lead them into experiences only known to meditators - like being part of a vast sea of consciousness. He could actually steer the depth of the trance rather precisely and it helped mapping out a set of discretes States of Consciousness with different traits. I think this in the book of the same name (SoC).

Sadly, all three test subjects over time grew fearful of their experiences and the experiments could no longer continue. This suggests to me that I may just be that these experiences lacked the preparatory component the human mind needs to grow into such states. Just MO.

Oliver

Rhone
25th August 2007, 02:41 AM
Hypnosis is just a guided trance state coupled with suggestions. Self-hypnosis isn't much different from meditation.

The mentalist you saw may have used hypnosis as part of his routine, but don't let him fool you into thinking he used actual energy stuff. It's part of the performance, and gives the audience an almost-plausible explanation for what he's doing (distracting them from figuring out the actual secret to the trick, which is nearly always disappointingly mundane).

Three_Nails
25th August 2007, 11:54 PM
Alright then. Someone help me explain this.

He told both the brother and sister to stand opposite ends of the stage. They weren't in on it as I know them and was close friends with the brother in school. He had them face eachother, hold their arms out and "Imagine" energy building a bridge between them. After this, they faced the crowd with their eyes closed. He touched the sister on the arm twice and asked them both if they felt something... They both claimed to have felt it. He did this with various parts on their bodies.

THis felt so real to the brother that he for a moment, didn't believe he hadn't been touched the entire act. It was fuggin awesome and I think it may have something to do with energy work.

HeavyFlea
7th September 2007, 07:49 PM
I was curious about this also... I don't know if your familiar with Monroe's focus levels but in reading Maureen Caudill's book she described hypnosis as being at the focus area 10 to 11... 11 being a re-programming state of consciousness. I'm at work right now and can't quote the book but I think that's correct.

I've studied hypnosis a little and it is not 'tricks'... the hypnotist helps guide someone already willing. That willing part has to be there. So I'm guessing they lead you into an altered state much like f10 then into 11 so they can issue the suggestion to your sub-conscious. (In stage hypnosis, they pick people carefully with what could be called tricks, to find people more susceptible to suggestion. The 'volunteers' chosen are aware they're apart of a show and willing to become apart of it... that's why they can be induced, they've already accepted it.)

(f10 - is like the beginning level of mind awake / body asleep.) but others know a lot more regarding focus areas. See the Monroe part of the forum for more.

Korpo
7th September 2007, 08:05 PM
There is a series from the TMI called "Human Plus" which teaches skills through hypnosis. I think it utilises a state called "Focus 11", so what you said about "reprogramming" sounds about right.

Oliver