PDA

View Full Version : A correction to make in your new energy work book Robert.

Zante
4th September 2007, 12:45 PM
Hello Robert, this is with regards to your fantastic new book "Energy Work".

At the start of it you mention the use of affirmations to quiet mental chatter. The only problem is that you make the mistake of using the word "not".

"I choose not to think about _____"

In cognitive behavioural therapy, and hypnotherapy, it's been established that this is counter-productive.

"I will not think of a blue ball" - This can only lead to someone thinking about a blue ball. It is the subject matter and every time it is mentioned, it shall be perceived (on one level or another). The word 'not' is not fully recognised.

"I will not think of" becomes "I will think of" / "I think of".

Always work with the positive. "I am calm" / "I can feel myself becoming calmer". This will displace the other thoughts.

Robert Bruce
9th July 2008, 05:29 PM
G'day,

Thank you for your concern.

I agree with you regarding the traditional phrasing of affirmations and the reasoning behind this, and I did consider this at the time of writing. (This is not an oversight or mistake).

However, this is a command 'I choose not to think about....' and there is no other way to phrase this that does not destroy the command factor.

The main reason why this is phrased as it is is because 'it works', based on hard experience.

This is a highly effective method for fighting off negative thought patterns and imagery.

Afformations can also help, which is another way of using affirmations, phrasing them as questions.

See... http://www.eftzone.com/2007/05/14/combi ... ormations/ (http://www.eftzone.com/2007/05/14/combining-eft-afformations/)

Affirmations, as you point out, can indeed be used to help, but not to directly counter. For example, if you have having an onslaught of obsessive negative thoughts that are keeping you awake at night, direct commands 'I choose not to think about that!' are far more effective in the short term than are more round about approaches.

Take care, Robert